Seek One’s dilemma

MusicCityCajun

Curious what everyone here think about the question Seek one posed in his recent video. I know he got a lot of hate here after his giant Nashville buck for killing a "neighborhood pet" deer. I don't personally have a problem with his methods. Curious what y'all think.

For those that haven't seen it: in one of his most recent videos he says he has a potentially world record deer on camera that he's tracked for a few years.
The deer spends 99% of his life in an urban area where hunting is prohibited and people have pics of the deer all over their yards. During the rut, for a day or two, the deer ventures just outside of the protected area into an area he has permission to hunt. He asks, for public image of hunting reasons, would be a good idea to go after the deer or would a kill bring a detrimental spotlight to the hunting community like a cecil the lion type scenario.

Mud Creek

I'm sure he asked the question so that way when he kills it he can say, "I wasn't going to shoot this buck, but I made a poll on IG and it was YOU guys who encouraged me to do it so this one is for all y'all". If by some chance he doesn't kill it, he will use the opportunity to show how they don't want to kill neighborhood pets, it's not just about the kill/content, and he IS a true hunter. It will end up being about him either way. I'm sure he will shoot it and stage another praying over my dead deer picture.

Acorn

IMG_0903.jpeg

kaizen leader

I'm sure he asked the question so that way when he kills it he can say, "I wasn't going to shoot this buck, but I made a poll on IG and it was YOU guys who encouraged me to do it so this one is for all y'all". If by some chance he doesn't kill it, he will use the opportunity to show how they don't want to kill neighborhood pets, it's not just about the kill/content, and he IS a true hunter. It will end up being about him either way. I'm sure he will shoot it and stage another praying over my dead deer picture.
Just don't tell anyone.

mike243

As far as I know I have never watched him and very few deer hunts over the last 15 years, or more, I don't dream of killing a huge buck but I wouldn't pass 1 up, ask anybody that hunts with me and they will tell you I pretty much shoot the first legal deer that shows up, I prefer a 2.5 or older buck and have killed older and younger. It's like Christmas to me, I don't run camera's as I dont target a specific deer. I reckon the derogatory word meat hunter describes me pretty well. Thing is I'm thankful for just the chance to be out there and any deer is my present. I tried to be a trophy hunter for 5 years, I shot nothing buck or doe waiting on the 1. at some point I decided to either quit and fish full time or shoot what was offered, I started shooting what was offered and have been happy ever since. As I am aging out of hunting I feel no pressure to kill any thing or get a limit, the trip has been more important to me than meat in the freezer. If I was hunting and that deer came by me I would bust it and wouldn't know it was somebody's pet, I would be proud of it. I'm not sure about targeting subdivision bucks for horns, reckon I don't have to worry about that happening lol. Long as you hunt legal you will have to live with the morals of that hunt, killing a big deer doesn't prove you are a better hunter or person imo as luck plays the biggest role. Hope everybody has a great season and a safe 1.

tellico4x4

Never have and never will watch one of their shows. If ever buck they killed was 200+ I still wouldn't watch. It's the masses that give them their glory, if no one watched them they'd be SOL.

Several years ago when Drury had the team competition hunting deal where you had to submit a film of your "team" killing a buck, a couple local brothers made the show. The neighborhood that they killed in is well known here & full of good deer. They went to great pains to not include lawns, driveways & flower beds in their film as it was killed on a vacant wooded lot. When they made the show, it didn't take long for locals here to recognize the buck they killed and soon the story of it followed.... My dentist lived 3 houses down from location and had asked me for years to come bowhunt his backyard as they were destroying his landscaping. Never did, just felt tainted to me. One of our lease members lives and has 3 wooded acres in that neighborhood. He has killed several out of his wife's flowerbeds and some have been whoppers. Not a one mounted or publicized as they are really just varmints.

I agree that urban deer need to be hunted to try to keep under control, but wish P&Y and B&C would redefine what "fair chase" is. No difference than hunting high fence imo.

Latest posts