The annual dilemma

muddyboots

Interesting, on my small parcel, 7.2 acres, I drop does right on my food plot and the next time I hunt (1 -2 weeks), they continue going through there, sometimes right at the exact same spot. I have nothing to compare it with since I have always taken a deer where I see them, but it makes me wonder if it has possibly made other deer avoid my area.
It did.

Jaahspike

Very common, especially in "club" situations. Hunters hunt from shooting houses over food plots and as soon they start popping does in the plots, hunter-collected deer observation rates in those plots crash. Of real interest is the clubs who have implemented a "buck only" plot system. In this, some plots are designated as "buck only" kill plots. These plots will see continued high daylight usage by deer while doe kill plots will not. How and why deer can understand does are being killed from a plot is a mystery. But this process is well documented in the club management world.
Thank you for the reply!

fairchaser

Our club requires taking does to earn buck tags. Thus, I will kill a doe as soon as possible only to get my buck tag. I will only hunt them in areas that I'm not likely to buck hunt. I save the does in those areas to attract bucks and to keep hunting pressure at a minimum. I agree with BSK that once you kill a doe in an area, especially food plots, sightings go down. Deer are herd animals and respond to herd dynamics. If one deer is afraid, they all will be afraid and reluctant to venture out in daylight into feeding areas.