Seek one…. Perspective

redblood

Seems like they are controversial. But it didn't hit me until i was talking with some of my dual
Credit students. One girl in particular. Says her boyfriend always watching hunting shows even though he rarely actually hunts . I asked her id he watched catman. She laughed and said he watches Seek One mainly.
Joking with her i asked if she liked it. She said no, they kill deer in people yards and shot a deer that came tbrough a chainlink fence. Then it hit me.

City boys killing deer isnt the problem. City boys killing tame deer isnt the problem. City boys killing deer i people's yards isnt the problem.

The problem is, they have become an symbol, an avatar, of what deer hunting is because they are what everyone sees. Their youtube prowess, that keep them streaming any time someone types in archery hunting is the problem. They (and their mirror images) are many peoples only reference point to what hunting is. It isnt a time honored tradition passed from father to son on family farmland or vast spances of public land or generationally leases of river bottoms and forested timberland. But GQ yuppies who refer to deer as their green scores and use religion to pray to sway surbanites to open their backyards to them. This new age of hunting, which everything centers around a subscriber total or a thumbs up has misinformed the 96 percents of people that don't bowhunt of what fair chase hunting is.

We must change our avatar before its too late. Seek one isnt the problem. They are the wound we refuse to treat.

Last edited:

batten_down

Seems like they are controversial. But it didn't hit me until i was talking with some of my dual
Credit students. One girl in particular. Says her boyfriend always watching hunting shows even though he rarely actually hunts . I asked her id he watched catman. She laughed and said he watches Seek One mainly.
Joking with her i asked if she liked it. She said no, they kill deer in people yards and shot a deer that came tbrough a chainlink fence. Then it hit me.

City boys killing deer isnt the problem. City boys killing tame deer isnt the problem. City boys killing deer i people's yards isnt the problem.

The problem is, they have become an symbol, an avatar, of what deer hunting is because they are what everyone sees. Their youtube prowess, that keep them streaming any time someone types in archery hunting is the problem. They (and their mirror images) are many peoples only reference point to what hunting is. It isnt a time honored tradition passed from father to son on family farmland or vast spances of public land or generationally leases of river bottoms and forested timberland. But GQ yuppies who refer to deer as their green scores and use religion to pray to sway surbanites to open their backyards to them. This new age of hunting, which everything centers around a subscriber total or a thumbs up has misinformed the 96 percents of people that don't bowhunt of what fair chase hunting is.

We must change our avatar before its too late. Seek one isnt the problem. They are the wound we refuse to treat.
⭐⭐⭐⭐️.5

"Riveting. And emotional"

So you invited em out to your place so you could mentor them on ethics, responsibilities, stewardship, and conservation? Maybe shoot a cull buck?

redblood

⭐⭐⭐⭐️.5

"Riveting. And emotional"

So you invited em out to your place so you could mentor them on ethics, responsibilities, stewardship, and conservation? Maybe shoot a cull buck?
No. Barely who they are. And never said i was perfect in any of those areas, but im also not broadcast to tens of thousands of people

DaveTN

I'm an old guy so maybe I'm not in touch with what the younger generation is doing. But it appears to me with things like hunting or climate change you have liberals and conservatives. I don't think SeekOne is causing much negative impact on hunting. Shooting a deer standing in a yard in a residential area where he feels safe is not hunting.

Decades ago hunting was seen as a way of putting food on the table. Many today see it as killing for sport and teaching kids to kill for sport. Liberals will only see the bad in hunting, just as they only see the bad in having guns for self-defense.

I don't expect to see liberals and conservatives agreeing on may things, hunting being at the top of that list.

deerhunter10

I'm an old guy so maybe I'm not in touch with what the younger generation is doing. But it appears to me with things like hunting or climate change you have liberals and conservatives. I don't think SeekOne is causing much negative impact on hunting. Shooting a deer standing in a yard in a residential area where he feels safe is not hunting.

Decades ago hunting was seen as a way of putting food on the table. Many today see it as killing for sport and teaching kids to kill for sport. Liberals will only see the bad in hunting, just as they only see the bad in having guns for self-defense.

I don't expect to see liberals and conservatives agreeing on may things, hunting being at the top of that list.
You are right, the biggest problem is the Negativity is unknown and probably cant be measured but for sure there. And for sure questionable ethics and other things. That's what most people are trying to say.

Molonlabemike

My wife doesn't care for watching hunting shows as she's face first into her books. She didn't grow up hunting or had anyone in her family who hunted. She doesn't mind me hunting and supports my hobby but has zero interest in hunting.

She watched one of the episodes where Lee broke down his first filmed hunt. As it started she started looking up then looked down and 5min later the booked closed and she's watching. She made the comment that she never understood how much work goes into targeting specific deer and was impressed by the work that went into it. Never once did she comment on how it's not "real hunting" or he's to close to houses. People who are in fact are outraged are still outraged by us hunting no matter how you slice and dice it. Remember when that dentist shot that lion in Africa? People here were pissed and tried to cancel him and threaten him for hunting something in another damn country.

Also I would love to know any of these outraged members have done the victory lap with the dead deer through town to show it off. Kinda the same principle.

DaveTN

You are right, the biggest problem is the Negativity is unknown and probably cant be measured but for sure there. And for sure questionable ethics and other things. That's what most people are trying to say.
We are split right down the middle. This country is as divided as I have ever seen it.

Hunting is no different. Even hunters hate hunters that let their dogs run loose.

🤣 That may not be true, but that's what I read on this forum.

Jcalder

The only ones being negative are the same ones saying there needs to be new recruits in the hunting community.

Iglow

Once upon a time hunting was like this. You started the fall slipping into a grove of hickorynut trees and squirrel hunting, you took them home and skinned them then fried them in an iron skillet and ate them. Then you did it some more as the months went by, sometimes treed with dogs,sometimes sit hunting. September 1st at noon you went dove shooting and any other time you could find them till the season ended in January. If you could find a dove shoot you did that instead of deer hunting except for opening day of gun season. Bow season would open for deer and you shot a doe if you could,sometimes a young buck, rarely an older buck. Muzzleloader season opened for a week and maybe you killed a buck(no does) then, it closed and the next Saturday rabbit and quail season opened and you went rabbit or bird hunting. The duck hunters duck hunted and not much else except doves and some bird hunted too except most went deer hunting opening day of gun season and quit deer hunting after that weekend. Gun season opened right before Thanksgiving and it was a big deal for a week or so, you went opening day and the next day, Thanksgiving morning and that weekend then you went back to rabbit, bird, dove and squirrel hunting till January for the last 2 and February for rabbits and birds , sometimes you got drawn for a 2 day doe hunt the last weekend of the season and that was it. Some had traplines in the winter time. After that you went sauger fishing, maybe crappie fishing, there wasn't any turkeys to speak of so spring time was for fishing. Picture taking was for your own scrap book for remembering the fun times, no social media, no hero posts no sharing with the world. TV hunting consisted of Jimmy Holt on thursdays with an infrequent hunting clip and maybe the American Sportsman sometimes. The only "media'' was Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sports Afield and Fur Fish and Game Magazines.
There was a whole lot more variety, little specialization and a whole lot less pressure to kill for ego and most of all,a whole lot more fun.

tanasirivertea

Once upon a time hunting was like this. You started the fall slipping into a grove of hickorynut trees and squirrel hunting, you took them home and skinned them then fried them in an iron skillet and ate them. Then you did it some more as the months went by, sometimes treed with dogs,sometimes sit hunting. September 1st at noon you went dove shooting and any other time you could find them till the season ended in January. If you could find a dove shoot you did that instead of deer hunting except for opening day of gun season. Bow season would open for deer and you shot a doe if you could,sometimes a young buck, rarely an older buck. Muzzleloader season opened for a week and maybe you killed a buck(no does) then, it closed and the next Saturday rabbit and quail season opened and you went rabbit or bird hunting. The duck hunters duck hunted and not much else except doves and some bird hunted too except most went deer hunting opening day of gun season and quit deer hunting after that weekend. Gun season opened right before Thanksgiving and it was a big deal for a week or so, you went opening day and the next day, Thanksgiving morning and that weekend then you went back to rabbit, bird, dove and squirrel hunting till January for the last 2 and February for rabbits and birds , sometimes you got drawn for a 2 day doe hunt the last weekend of the season and that was it. Some had traplines in the winter time. After that you went sauger fishing, maybe crappie fishing, there wasn't any turkeys to speak of so spring time was for fishing. Picture taking was for your own scrap book for remembering the fun times, no social media, no hero posts no sharing with the world. TV hunting consisted of Jimmy Holt on thursdays with an infrequent hunting clip and maybe the American Sportsman sometimes. The only "media'' was Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sports Afield and Fur Fish and Game Magazines.
There was a whole lot more variety, little specialization and a whole lot less pressure to kill for ego and most of all,a whole lot more fun.
This is my all time favorite post ever on this website. Thanks for sharing! Substitute the hunting for sports and apply it to kids. kids play baseball 365 and yet no one can figure out why there's a plague of arm injuries

infoman jr.

IMG_0771.jpeg

Latest posts