Seek one…. Perspective

BSK

Camera fame becomes a monster. I have a sister in law like that. Its not going to beach and enjoy timr with her family- creating memories that will endure. Its a scripted photo shoot full or takes
And retakes and loaded witg artificial smiles, highlighting good light and her "best" side. Then staring at her phone as she broadcast those pictures to the masses and spends the rest of her day wrapped up in a blanket on the coach, commenting on all her comments. Its not about the vactation- she dont really want to be there- its using the vacation to project an image that isnt accurate for the sake of impressing an acquaintance. And she has programmed her 2 teen daughters to be attention sluts just like her. I went on one vacation with her (and it was years ago) and told them im done.

The bad thing is people focus so much on documenting the experience , for the sake of some form on public compensation (money, likes, attention etc) that they never fully focus on the the one image that really matters -those precious memories in your minds. We are just throwing the baby out with the bath water and dont even realize it…
This whole trend is something I'm struggling to understand. I've listened to psychologist and sociologists expound upon it, but still don't think anyone has truly pegged what this is all about. It isn't just being an attention fluffy kittens. It's more than that. If it was just about attention, they would just post what they did. The key is that those doing all this have to make it look much, MUCH better than it really is. It's some sort of weird need to "live a better life" than others and then sneer at the masses for not being as good as they are, even though their whole social media life is a total lie. And maybe that's it, it's the need to look better than they really are, and have people worship them for it.

Molonlabemike

well you said it yourself. your wife did not grow up with the traditions of hunting. she would not understand why shooting a deer next to the pool is not hunting.

Subdivisions are a rather new concept and for a majority of Americans it's less than a generation of practice. Social media is even newer. With that said modern problems require modern solutions. Just because you didn't grow up hunting deer in close proximity to subdivisions doesn't take away from the fact it's still hunting as you're pursuing a game animal. Your grandpa and his dad and his dad didn't go to high fence areas to hunt, they didn't go sit in rough necks or blinds to hunt or use a sweet saddle, climber or fancy camo to hide from deer. Did they plant crops specifically for deer? Hindge cut properties and custom tailor their lands for premium buck habitat? Hell I bet they didn't even drive more then 20 min to hunt. Would they still consider how most Americans hunt "hunting"? Yeah probably not.

Heck I rather see someone nail a monster buck next to a swing set rather than in some high fence. Also from what I have seen from seek ones videos in the past they on average sit on properties just as long as I do in the woods over multiple days or weeks to make a kill. As easy as some people make it sound here they should just be able to pull up, climb up Timmy's tree house without spilling his pumpkin spice latte and harvest all before breakfast. Seldomly that's the case.

As we lose access to public hunting land this will be the new normal for those who don't have access to private property and existing public lands become too crowded to access.

For me I still have zero issue with hunting on private property when done correctly and legally. I personally drive 1.5 hours to go hunt LBL as that's my preference.

Ski

And maybe that's it, it's the need to look better than they really are, and have people worship them for it.

Keeping up with the Jones' on an industrial scale. Social media is a cancer on humanity. Turns a healthy, innate tendency to compare & contrast ourselves with others into an unhealthy, obsessive, all consuming lifestyle. The treatment is self awareness & self regulation but that seems to be in short supply these days.

megalomaniac

To add to this. A great and telling part was he just watched the people on the boat and didn't pipe up. A simple "Hey guys that my deer, I had a bad shot and working on finishing what I started. Mind if I help put him down" . Instead he hide behind the bushes and watched.
He did not have permission to shoot the deer on that property.

Ski

Your grandpa and his dad and his dad didn't go to high fence areas to hunt, they didn't go sit in rough necks or blinds to hunt or use a sweet saddle, climber or fancy camo to hide from deer.

My grandpa & his dad didn't have deer to hunt because his dad before him killed them all. Killed all the pigeons too. And buffalo. They killed everything for commercial purposes. Hunting regulations is why we have game to hunt now. My dad was probably the first man in two generations of his family to see a live deer, let alone hunt one. He and men of his era tell about the time deer didn't exist. People are still alive today that remember when deer hunting wasn't a thing because there were no deer to hunt.

It's hard for us to imagine that today because there's a huge industry built on deer hunting. It has become part of our culture as if it was our heritage or something. We look at old pictures from the 1960's onward & get nostalgic about the way things used to be. But try finding many deer hunting pictures dating to before 1960. What you'll likely find is 19th century photos of hanging poles lined with dead deer as they were being hunted & killed to near extinction for money.

Point is that deer hunting is and always has been (in modern era) in flux. It was new to many of our fathers & grandfathers. They relearned & taught the next generation who took the torch & added to it, eventually to what we have today. Lots of folks get nostalgic about deer hunting but keep in mind it's only three generations old. I expect it'll continue changing.

bowhunterfanatic

Camera fame becomes a monster. I have a sister in law like that. Its not going to beach and enjoy timr with her family- creating memories that will endure. Its a scripted photo shoot full or takes
And retakes and loaded witg artificial smiles, highlighting good light and her "best" side. Then staring at her phone as she broadcast those pictures to the masses and spends the rest of her day wrapped up in a blanket on the coach, commenting on all her comments. Its not about the vactation- she dont really want to be there- its using the vacation to project an image that isnt accurate for the sake of impressing an acquaintance. And she has programmed her 2 teen daughters to be attention sluts just like her. I went on one vacation with her (and it was years ago) and told them im done.

The bad thing is people focus so much on documenting the experience , for the sake of some form on public compensation (money, likes, attention etc) that they never fully focus on the the one image that really matters -those precious memories in your minds. We are just throwing the baby out with the bath water and dont even realize it…
I'd have to take my shoes off to count the number of people I know who you just described. And it's sad.

MidTennFisher

What you'll likely find is 19th century photos of hanging poles lined with dead deer as they were being hunted & killed to near extinction for money.
And now social media has gotten us back to the exact same thing - a lot of people are hunting them just for the money. Not by selling them to market but from ad revenue, sponsorships, discount codes, etc.

I would bet a year's salary that if all forms of social media disappeared, including even hunting forums such as this, within a full hunting season we'd see a noticeable reduction in hunting pressure.

BSK

Subdivisions are a rather new concept and for a majority of Americans it's less than a generation of practice. Social media is even newer. With that said modern problems require modern solutions. Just because you didn't grow up hunting deer in close proximity to subdivisions doesn't take away from the fact it's still hunting as you're pursuing a game animal. Your grandpa and his dad and his dad didn't go to high fence areas to hunt, they didn't go sit in rough necks or blinds to hunt or use a sweet saddle, climber or fancy camo to hide from deer. Did they plant crops specifically for deer? Hindge cut properties and custom tailor their lands for premium buck habitat? Hell I bet they didn't even drive more then 20 min to hunt. Would they still consider how most Americans hunt "hunting"? Yeah probably not.

Heck I rather see someone nail a monster buck next to a swing set rather than in some high fence. Also from what I have seen from seek ones videos in the past they on average sit on properties just as long as I do in the woods over multiple days or weeks to make a kill. As easy as some people make it sound here they should just be able to pull up, climb up Timmy's tree house without spilling his pumpkin spice latte and harvest all before breakfast. Seldomly that's the case.

As we lose access to public hunting land this will be the new normal for those who don't have access to private property and existing public lands become too crowded to access.

For me I still have zero issue with hunting on private property when done correctly and legally. I personally drive 1.5 hours to go hunt LBL as that's my preference.
Nice attempt at deflection. "What all you other guys are doing is just as bad as what Seek On is doing so hold your tongue." Umm, no. I would guess not a single hunter on this site hunts inside a high fence. In addition, does improving the habitat to make a property more attractive to wildlife make that wildlife easier to hunt? Nope. They are still wild animals with amazing survival abilities, and who view us humans as their greatest threat (because we are). Now is what Seek One doing actually hunting? Nope. He's killing pet deer that are completely habituated to humans. Humans are not a threat to them as they have never been hunted, hence they display no avoidance behavior.

I live in the suburbs where Seek One has done some of his pet-killing. I know just how tame these deer are. They can be hand fed. While I'm running through the neighborhoods, some of these deer - including mature bucks - will let me RUN right next to them at touching distance. I have had the opportunity to touch the antlers of 10-pointers and run right between a mother doe and her fawn (happened again this last Sunday morning). To say these turds (yes, turds) are actually hunting is ludicrous. They are an embarrassment to hunting.

And if you get me started, I'll tell you how I really feel about them.

TX300mag

I have to admit, i never paid very much attention to Seek One until all this. I watched a couple of first season episodes and really grasped just how they are actually hunting. They were driving around finding deer standing in yards and driveways to stalk. They were literally stalking flowerbeds and playgrounds. One buck was shot twice and bled all over multiple properties only to be standing in the front yard of a house bleeding when they gave up to return to the truck. The deer was never recovered as far as I know.

If one argued that this needed to be done, I think it would go along way of people would just shoot, skin, and shut up rather that glorifying narcissistic egos.

Molonlabemike

Nice attempt at deflection. "What all you other guys are doing is just as bad as what Seek On is doing so hold your tongue." Umm, no. I would guess not a single hunter on this site hunts inside a high fence. In addition, does improving the habitat to make a property more attractive to wildlife make that wildlife easier to hunt? Nope. They are still wild animals with amazing survival abilities, and who view us humans as their greatest threat (because we are). Now is what Seek One doing actually hunting? Nope. He's killing pet deer that are completely habituated to humans. Humans are not a threat to them as they have never been hunted, hence they display no avoidance behavior.

I live in the suburbs where Seek One has done some of his pet-killing. I know just how tame these deer are. They can be hand fed. While I'm running through the neighborhoods, some of these deer - including mature bucks - will let me RUN right next to them at touching distance. I have had the opportunity to touch the antlers of 10-pointers and run right between a mother doe and her fawn (happened again this last Sunday morning). To say these turds (yes, turds) are actually hunting is ludicrous. They are an embarrassment to hunting.

And if you get me started, I'll tell you how I really feel about them.

I see your point and appreciate your view point. I don't feel I'm deflecting as we just have to differ on opinions. Pets or not suburban deer populations still have to be managed and that's a fact.

BSK

I see your point and appreciate your view point. I don't feel I'm deflecting as we just have to differ on opinions. Pets or not suburban deer populations still have to be managed and that's a fact.
Yes, suburban deer must be managed, and archery is the best option for this. I have campaigned for these hunts and spoken before city councils promoting these hunts. But what these turds are doing is not managing. They are trophy hunting for their own glorification. I don't even have a problem with an archer getting involved in an urban hunt knowing there are real monster bucks living there. But don't shoot a pet deer and pretend you've accomplished anything.

I won't comment on their attempt to interject religion to justify their actions. Only they know what's truly in their hearts.

Molonlabemike

Yes, suburban deer must be managed, and archery is the best option for this. I have campaigned for these hunts and spoken before city councils promoting these hunts. But what these turds are doing is not managing. They are trophy hunting for their own glorification. I don't even have a problem with an archer getting involved in an urban hunt knowing there are real monster bucks living there. But don't shoot a pet deer and pretend you've accomplished anything.

I won't comment on their attempt to interject religion to justify their actions. Only they know what's truly in their hearts.
Unfortunately with this type of social media this will continue. People have found ways to pursue their passions and get paid for it. Forums like this are the only social medial I participate in. Last year I came to the realization that for me personally I no longer benefit from being on it so I logged off and I have not felt better.

I feel your issues is was the same issue we have seen with most "trends". A select few appeal to the masses and bring more people to the sport/lifestyle. They do it in some ways that paint them in great lights and some not so much. The good news is most will not follow through with it as it will lose its popularity and trendiness and they will move onto something else. I have seen this time and time again with a lot of my core hobbies. What we can benefit is from the people that do take up hunting is awareness and conservation to help build hunting up for even when they stop we can continue. Hope that all makes sense

Snake

My concern is the image it puts forth to people living in the subdivision who may not hunt or even have an opinion one way or the other about hunters or hunting. I know where a monster is right now with ring cam pictures in the front yard in a subdivision in TN. Just because you can does not mean you should. Now if the deer are a nuisance and the neighbor hood wants them gone that is different game on.
Thing is it's still a mostly tame deer , what we're talking about remains the same !! Just because you have an ethical or better yet a responsible reason to shoot a virtually tame deer does that make it better ? Isn't this the reason we're bashing Seek One ? I'm confused here. I personally don't have a problem hunting this type of deer no matter the reason as long as it is legal . But with that said is it morally right to shoot a deer while it's eating something out of your hand ? This is something the hunter would have to ask himself. I guarantee you that most on here would do it ....if it was a monster buck and not a regular doe . I'll be honest I certainly would . Someone who knows how to run this poll thing please do one . People get hung up on what they (S1) do and myself included simply because I wouldn't go to the trouble of having doors slammed in my face and people telling me how bad it is to shoot these little deer . Just too much bad publicity and my nerves couldn't stand it people thinking bad things about me , goodness sake uts an animal . I know it's long winded but we've turned this post into that so do I think " real hunting " is climbing in a shooting house with your coffee and watching a lush food plot.... honest once again no . Now with that said I don't have a problem with the others going through the trouble of setting the shooting house up and planting a lush good plot because I apparently won't go through the trouble ! Types of hunting create at times jealousy , admit it . Some have excellent property some have only public . Those that have excellent property and have the kills to prove it turn into celebrity hunters by who's observation....ours 😁 or at least in our eyes . I'm not on Seek One side nor am I one of their followers could care less what they do , matter of fact the only time I've heard them mentioned is on here so there's that . Lot if what I've heard on here is opinions from which we all have one and that's where it's going to end , they'll keep doing what they do until their following ceases or they can't get permission to hunt these places .

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I said it on one of the other threads…that podcast was the worst thing I've ever heard a hunter say. It was disgusting and disturbing to listen to, but I listened to all of it. I never expected even him to say what he did. He needs to be banned from hunting IMO, and his friends need to take him to the woodshed and beat him back into sanity.

BSK

But with that said is it morally right to shoot a deer while it's eating something out of your hand ? This is something the hunter would have to ask himself. I guarantee you that most on here would do it
I would hope the majority would NOT do it. I have more faith in the caliber of hunters on this site.

KTS

My dad was probably the first man in two generations of his family to see a live deer, let alone hunt one. He and men of his era tell about the time deer didn't exist. People are still alive today that remember when deer hunting wasn't a thing because there were no deer to hunt.
I was born in 1941. I can remember when riding the school bus in the mid 50's and seeing a doe in this farmer's barn lot with the cows. This was in Sumner County and the stocking was just getting underway. That was the first deer that I ever laid eyes on and was very excited about it.
I bought my first deer tag in 1962 and hunted on Cheatham WMA and in Jackson County, but it took me two years before I even saw a deer. I have been at it for a long time.

Latest posts