Cold weather gloves

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Has anyone found any real good cold weather gloves.my hands are the only part of my body I have trouble keeping warm during cold weather.I don't mind paying for good quality,I just wanna be satisfied.

Mike Belt

Some gloves are warmer than others but I never found a pair that actually kept my hands warm. I just slip a hot hands inside while I'm walking or climbing and then shift it and my hands to my parka pocket while on stand.

muddyboots

I have a pair I break my neck making sure I keep up with them. I can't find them anywhere now. I bought them at Walmart about 15 years ago. They were branded under Remington name with windoroof fleece. They are thin and warm. Not waterproof. If I could find some more I'd buy 10 more pair.

Hunter 257W

The best hand warming method I've found was to buy a real good parka. Once I did that, my core body temperature stays high enough that I can hunt with camo mosquito net gloves so I can feel the trigger better. The main reason I even use these is for the camo effect. If it's really cold I'll put my hands in my pockets but otherwise I'll just wrap one hand around the other and alternate every now and then. Keeping both hands together like that retains heat fairly well if you core temperature is under control

Back when I used lighter coats that were more suited for farm work rather than sitting motionless for deer hunting, I was always trying to find gloves that were adequate. The best I ever came across was a pair of gloves sewn inside mittens with a slit across the palm to let you put your trigger finger through.

GRIT

I have a rocky hand warmer put a hand warmer in it my hands never get cold.I don't use gloves

Boone 58

I hate thick gloves, and cant wear them at all as I feel like Ralphie's brother in Christmas Story in that big ole red warm suit...............so having said that I like thin fleece gloves, which aren't really real warm, but I like the feel so I can have my fingers sensitive to flipping safety's off, adjusting bino's, using range fingers, etc...............so I suffer that for the thinness of these.......I fair just fine until it gets real cold and that is when you wont find me without the Hot hands............perfection of warmth. Currently the only place I can find these exact pair is at the new field and stream division of Dicks at Florence Alabama for 9.97. Thank God they have them, as I spent the last year trying everywhere!!!! And I mean everywhere! The strangest quirk about me is the thinness of gloves and their feel on my hands. I guess I am one different guy when it comes to gloves.

Matador

If you find a pair that keep your hands warm,they will probably be thick and bulky. I use two kind of gloves and the handwarmers. I wear the plain Ole brown cotton gloves and put them inside the wool military mittens. If the military mitten does not have the shooting finger ( a lot of them do ), I will cut a hole for my trigger finger. If I need anything else I can add the handwarmer. Most of the time I just use one pair or the other.

DRSJ35

if you go to a military surplus store.they should have the cold weather setup.I where them when its real cold.It is a wool glove that is not very thick.Then the second part is a wool glove that slides over that one.It is kind of like a mitten with a thumb and trigger finger.This setup is not to bulky cheap and very warm.I've tried all kinds of different gloves.For really cold hands its a great setup

DaveB

I have an injured finger that is hyper sensitive to cold. I use a muff around my waist with two hand warmers in it. Plus, I wear a liner inside my glove and I wear a decent glove, but frequently just the liner.

Since my heart attack my Cardiologist has told me DO NOT GET COLD. I am exceedingly careful.

DMD

I usually do one of two things - depending on conditions:

1. Thin gloves and have handwarmer in my pockets.

if it gets really cold:

2. Fold over mittens (mittens with fingerless gloves under them).

I usually only use one handwarmer and swap it from pocket to pocket - unless it is extremely cold.

scn

I've tried a lot of gloves over the years, including some that were fairly expensive. For me, I keep coming back to the military surplus wool glove liners. I can shoot with those on may hands, and combined with a muff with a chemical hand warmer, I am good to go. I've hunted at minus 12 up in IL with that system with no issues.

One of the things that hasn't been discussed is that cold hands are a function of your whole body fighting the cold. As your core temps drop, blood doesn't heat the extremities as well to protect the more vital organs. Thus, your hands and feet are in most cases the first to "feel" the cold. Something as simple as putting on a good insulated hat that covers your ears and neck might do more for your hands than an expensive pair of gloves. If you are out in a bunch of wind, having a windproof barrier as your out layer can do worlds for having warmer hands.

DaveB

I used to use the Military liners because they actually worked. When my supply ran out, I started using the cotton ones. The cotton is better than a sharp stick but not by much. Wear two on one hand, much better.

I got to get some more wool ones. SCN, you have a link?????

I thin it is gonna be really cold this winter.

scn

DaveB":1uvxupzy said:
I used to use the Military liners because they actually worked. When my supply ran out, I started using the cotton ones. The cotton is better than a sharp stick but not by much. Wear two on one hand, much better.

I got to get some more wool ones. SCN, you have a link?????

I thin it is gonna be really cold this winter.

I haven't bought any recently since I normally buy in bulk. My last couple of orders on the glove liners have been with Sportsman's Guide:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2135512

It should also pull up a couple of other choices including the US military mittens with the wool liner.

Grnwing

I have found a pair of fleece finger-less gloves to work really well in TN. Since I primarily archery hunt, its nice to maintain contact with my bow and release and on the colder sits 10-20's I can slide them into my coat pockets for added warmth. I also use them a lot during duck season, again having contact with my call is nice. I usually look for quality gear and clothing but found the Bass Pro White River brand to be extremely cheap ( 5 bucks ) but have worked really well. I have several pair that I can rotate throughout the season so if a pair gets soaked in water or blood I have another pair ready to go.

Latest posts