Cold Weather: Who's Hunting This Week

Ski

I've found when it is unseasonably cold, movement is slow until mid morning. One time I hunted the last day of season in January and the high was 0. I didn't see a thing. I think all the animals are just trying not to die lol.

Yeah that's what I've noticed. If it get real cold real fast they hunker down, then move as it begins warming up midday.

backyardtndeer

Ha! That's when hunting is fun. Not necessarily fun in the moment but great memories to look back on knowing how you had to earn it.
Yeah, seems like he is taunting me. Middle of the day when I am waiting to pickup my son, he was at the scrapeline, then at 1 am this morning he beds down right in front of my cameras for 10 minutes. That should have been my key to know he would be there this morning, but the forecast north wind would have not been in my favor to sit that stand.

I fully expected the deer to move well in the bottom less than 200 yards from that scrapeline, but I saw just a few this morning in the woods. Instead my cell cam was blown up with pics this morning. Wind was in my favor where I was at, and don't think I bumped anything on my way to the stand. Just part of it. I hope to be in the stand over the field this afternoon for the last hour or so of light, wind is supposed to shift around at some point.

Him bedding there in front of the camera makes me think he has a doe that's really close, that he is keeping up with. There were several does that went by that camera this morning. I will be in that stand over the field tomorrow morning for sure, unless I kill him this afternoon.

Ski

Yeah, seems like he is taunting me. Middle of the day when I am waiting to pickup my son, he was at the scrapeline, then at 1 am this morning he beds down right in front of my cameras for 10 minutes. That should have been my key to know he would be there this morning, but the forecast north wind would have not been in my favor to sit that stand.

I fully expected the deer to move well in the bottom less than 200 yards from that scrapeline, but I saw just a few this morning in the woods. Instead my cell cam was blown up with pics this morning. Wind was in my favor where I was at, and don't think I bumped anything on my way to the stand. Just part of it. I hope to be in the stand over the field this afternoon for the last hour or so of light, wind is supposed to shift around at some point.

Him bedding there in front of the camera makes me think he has a doe that's really close, that he is keeping up with. There were several does that went by that camera this morning. I will be in that stand over the field tomorrow morning for sure, unless I kill him this afternoon.

Stay smart and stay on him. It can happen. Some of my best bucks happened as I was deflated and ready to quit because I thought I'd missed my chance. Persistence doesn't always pay but quitting never pays. It sounds like you've got him in your sights so hopefully it happens! Be sure to post pics when it does.

backyardtndeer

Stay smart and stay on him. It can happen. Some of my best bucks happened as I was deflated and ready to quit because I thought I'd missed my chance. Persistence doesn't always pay but quitting never pays. It sounds like you've got him in your sights so hopefully it happens! Be sure to post pics when it does.
Oh yeah, I am staying after him. Thanks for the encouragement.

megalomaniac

so far, 2 different mature bucks working scrapes between 9a and 11a this morn on camera. Activity died down at noon. But those are the first daylight pics of old guys exhibiting pre breeding behavior in daylight that I've had on camera this year. Caught a couple feeding in daylight a few weeks ago, but all scrape activity by 4.5+ bucks have been at night until this morn.

backyardtndeer

Quickest hunt ever. In the stand less than 5 minutes and he just walked out from the end of a brush pile. Not sure of my first shot, he hunched up like a gut hit. Put a second round in him as he was going away quartering. Took out the off side shoulder. He went in a brush pile. I can hear thrashing around and crashing in the brush pile, gonna give him a little time.

backyardtndeer

Be sure to post pics when it does.
This was him last night.
23110100544401001787.jpeg

Bgoodman30

Pretty slow yesterday afternoon on my first sit. Couple bucks but they didn't even bother the does. On the drive to school this morning I saw a decent buck chasing a doe!

Bone Collector

I took off yesterday. Tried a new spot on public and saw 4 different small bucks. The first passed at 10 yds and made a scrape, then worked an existing scrape. The second two past by within 25 and one worked the scrape then later I think they both came out separately and one worked another scrape I didn't see and then went and worked the main scrape again. The 4th deer just passed through.

I went in the afternoon on my property only because my back was hurting like it may go out and I wanted to be somewhere where I could get in and out of easily. I saw a small 3 pt, but cams showed they were moving elsewhere on the property.

philsanchez76

Pretty solid big bodied deer. I figured him as a 4.5 based on the trail cam pics. View attachment 201131Now it's time to focus on getting my son one and hoping my wife can get one.
Heck yeah man! What a great deer! That's what he gets for taunting you while youre picking kids up from school. You got the last laugh sir.