Cold Weather: Who's Hunting This Week

Don'tDrinkTinks

Not me… I have a job. I did see a stud standing on the side of I40 with a doe bedded beside him this morning and also a buck chasing a doe in a field off 385 today.

TonyB

I am taking off tomorrow to be in the woods all day. I have a big 8 on public I have seen twice now that I am targeting. Hoping to get a shot on the 8 but if a doe walks in alone, I need the meat!

backyardtndeer

Watched a couple different chases this morning, younger bucks, likely 2.5 year olds. Had deer moving in the woods around me in all directions except directly behind me. Best buck I saw this morning was a solid 7. He had a good body size and he was about 15-20 yards behind a doe, both were just walking. Saw several antlerless. Last doe and fawn I saw went by a little before 10.

I had a newborn calf I needed to check on this morning, so I got down about 10. My cell cam, up in the hills not too terribly far away, had activity while I was walking back and again just a little while ago.

SpurChaser

Put in a buzzer beater PTO day for tomorrow. Handful of bucks chasing this morning, hopefully it carries into the morning! Got a couple good ones that I'd love to catch up with.

kaizen leader

I am taking off tomorrow to be in the woods all day. I have a big 8 on public I have seen twice now that I am targeting. Hoping to get a shot on the 8 but if a doe walks in alone, I need the meat!
Same as me. I had a big 8 pop up within 20 yards and stared at my tent blind. He was down wind and wouldn't look away so I could get a shot. Was there for a good minute. Then off he went. Doh. Fun anyway.

Dumbluck

I hunted Tuesday morning and had a big 10 come through chasing a doe. I grunted at him and he came back about 45 minutes later right by me at 10 yard, indicating she was not in heat.. I elected to pass as he looked like a 3 year old to me, personal standards are 4+. I have never seen that buck and don't have any trail camera pics of him. I'm going back in the morning and I can't sleep I'm too wired.

kaizen leader

I hunted Tuesday morning and had a big 10 come through chasing a doe. I grunted at him and he came back about 45 minutes later right by me at 10 yard, indicating she was not in heat.. I elected to pass as he looked like a 3 year old to me, personal standards are 4+. I have never seen that buck and don't have any trail camera pics of him. I'm going back in the morning and I can't sleep I'm too wired.
Must be nice to have such a place. Life is good. Good luck sir.

backyardtndeer

Been a little slow so far this morning compared to yesterday. Back in the same stand I hunted yesterday morning. Have seen one young 7, had a deer start blowing about a hundred yards away upwind of me as the 7 was working a scrape about 30 yards in front of me. Probably a doe saw this buck. He circled around and headed towards the deer that blew.

UTGrad

To my surprise, deer werent very active last night. I guess the first real cold snap shocked them. Now this morning after the sun just barely come up, all cams are going crazy with deer movement.

It was pretty windy last night in some areas. Wind is settling down and should be good action for next couple days.

Dumbluck

Must be nice to have such a place. Life is good. Good luck sir.
I hunt this way anywhere I go, only one 4+ year old that I know of using the farms I hunt. But yes life is good if you have any private land to hunt these days. Most all the deer I pass get shot or die, that's just the way it goes. I enjoy every second of just being out there.

tree_ghost

To my surprise, deer werent very active last night. I guess the first real cold snap shocked them. Now this morning after the sun just barely come up, all cams are going crazy with deer movement.
I saw the same thing on my cameras. Funny how it'll slow them down sometimes contrary to mainstream thought.

UTGrad

I saw the same thing on my cameras. Funny how it'll slow them down sometimes contrary to mainstream thought.

I've found when it is unseasonably cold, movement is slow until mid morning. One time I hunted the last day of season in January and the high was 0. I didn't see a thing. I think all the animals are just trying not to die lol.

backyardtndeer

The buck I was hoping to see this morning was out in front of my cell cam a little after 8. I hunting down in the woods, the scrapeline he was at was at a field edge, go figure. If I had gone to that stand looking over my field I would have had a shot at him. Like a cat and mouse game.

Latest posts