Extreme cold weather

gary66

Anybody going to brave the single digit temps to hunt Friday? It's always been my experience that when the temps drop into the low 20s and below the deer just don't move a lot, so I won't hunt Friday. However, I'm thinking Thursday might be really good ahead of that cold front.
I crawled on hands and knees once, took a long time to get on stand. It was still, frozen and 5 degrees. Took so long I almost didn't beat daylight, as soon as the lights came on 3 deer stood not 25 yards away, they never knew I was there. Took the biggest. The land is flat for miles and miles dotted by wood lots, deer always know what's going on. Only hill here is made out of trash, the landfill.

When it's still and cold every animal knows what's moving about, could be why sightings are down.

deerhunter10

I'm tagged out or I'd be there. I personally think they will be moving. Food food food. Plus in tn you don't get a chance to hunt in snow much and a decent shot of that

BSK

If that is true, you better cover your face in Vaseline or you'll be getting some flesh cut off later lol.
best race I ever ran was a 15K in air temp of 18 and wind chill of -6. By the end, I had gotten so hot at my core that I had my shirt unzipped and sleeves pushed up above my elbows. But my forearms and hands got so numb that when I tried to wipe away the snot running down my face it was like slapping myself in the face with a frozen salmon.

Spurhunter

best race I ever ran was a 15K in air temp of 18 and wind chill of -6. By the end, I had gotten so hot at my core that I had my shirt unzipped and sleeves pushed up above my elbows. But my forearms and hands got so numb that when I tried to wipe away the snot running down my face it was like slapping myself in the face with a frozen salmon.
Sounds like a good time! 😅

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I hated running in the cold, felt like my lungs were burning

Urban_Hunter

That's one problem I'm certain I will never have to worry about… on a personal level

BSK

I hated running in the cold, felt like my lungs were burning
I hate running, but it's the one thing I can do to keep from getting old fast. And when I run, I love running in the cold. The colder the better. I have yet to find weather too cold to run in. All my best race times have been in January, February and March. If all you can think about is how cold you are, you don't have time to think about how tired you're getting.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I hate running, but it's the one thing I can do to keep from getting old fast. And when I run, I love running in the cold. The colder the better. I have yet to find weather too cold to run in. All my best race times have been in January, February and March. If all you can think about is how cold you are, you don't have time to think about how tired you're getting.
When I hit 42 my knees told me to stop.
I could run for a quarter mile and check my blood pressure and it would be the same as at rest. I miss running

BSK

I could run for a quarter mile and check my blood pressure and it would be the same as at rest. I miss running
In races, I'm finally getting competitive in my age-class. Because I'm almost the only person in my age-class! Seems 60 is the cut-off point for most runners. Surprisingly, Men 50-54 and 55-59 are extremely competitive age-classes. I guess because so many guys get into running at that age to fight off the aging process. But by 60, everyone has dropping out.

Just got my dad running. He's 90.

Falconi

But my forearms and hands got so numb that when I tried to wipe away the snot running down my face it was like slapping myself in the face with a frozen salmon.

That happened to me when I tried to siphon gas out of my dad's car and got a lungful of gasoline fumes. Smacked myself in the face trying to wipe my mouth. o_O

JeepKuntry

Bone on bone in the left knee so running is out. It even hurts just walking in and out of hunting spots at times when it's cold and rainy. Best of luck to those braving the temps. Looks like I'll be at work. I was hoping for a miracle and west TN trip but it's not gonna happen.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
In races, I'm finally getting competitive in my age-class. Because I'm almost the only person in my age-class! Seems 60 is the cut-off point for most runners. Surprisingly, Men 50-54 and 55-59 are extremely competitive age-classes. I guess because so many guys get into running at that age to fight off the aging process. But by 60, everyone has dropping out.

Just got my dad running. He's 90.
90 and running , that's awesome

TNTreeman

Tore my ACL and MCL in football and meniscus a couple yrs later being stupid. Had surgery on both. Competitive weight lifter in HS and college, my knees were shot. I got some PRP therapy injections several yrs ago and have been doing " Knees over Toes " therapy and my knees are great . I pull a weighted sled backwards at least 5 days a week , it is a great way to improve knee mobility and stop pain. I'm too dumb to explain it but the book tells you why it works . You can even start off by just walking backwards .

Latest posts