Too cold for hunting

DeerCamp

Perhaps. Truck temp says it's 13. Wind is light but manageable. Other than my feet I'm warm enough, but the gloves are going back on as soon as I hit submit.

Really dont expect to see anything. Somewhere under this 6 inches of snow is a bunch of Oats that i dont think are reward enough for a deer to come find em.

Don't plan to shoot anything even if I do see em, which i guess begs the question... why am I not at home on the couch!?! 🤪

20240116_163418.jpg

kaizen leader

Perhaps. Truck temp says it's 13. Wind is light but manageable. Other than my feet I'm warm enough, but the gloves are going back on as soon as I hit submit.

Really dont expect to see anything. Somewhere under this 6 inches of snow is a bunch of Oats that i dont think are reward enough for a deer to come find em.

Don't plan to shoot anything even if I do see em, which i guess begs the question... why am I not at home on the couch!?! 🤪

View attachment 211867
Best thing I have is a muff for my hands. It is great. I'm still looking for some way to keep my toes warm. Get a muff. You won't regret it.

Spurhunter

Best thing I have is a muff for my hands. It is great. Get a muff. You won't regret it.
I have one similar to this that you plug a backup cell phone battery into. It gets plum hot. If your battery goes dead Hot Hands work too. I love it. It's my second favorite type of muff.
Screenshot_20240117-075933_DuckDuckGo.jpg

megalomaniac

I know there will people lined up to argue, but IN MY EXPERIENCE once the temps drop into the low 20s and below west TN deer don't move much at all.
Sort of...

They certainly don't move well early morning. But I see some of the most daylight activity on very cold days on south facing slopes after it starts warming up (after 830 to 9 or so).

Same situation in south MS... but our deer here will hunker down when it hits 26 to 27d. In middle TN, it's usually around 17 to 18d to shut down activity

DeerCamp

No deer, no mammals at all...
I know there will people lined up to argue, but IN MY EXPERIENCE once the temps drop into the low 20s and below west TN deer don't move much at all.
I think it also depends a bit when those temps occur. I have had crazy good mornings during the rut when the temps are in the teens. The deer are running around and seem to be able to tolerate the cold better.

Post rut, late in the year when food is getting harder to find - yeah, I did not expect to see anything. I just wanted to go out.

My truck said it was 7 degrees when I left. On the way home I spotted about 10 deer down in a low valley that were feeding on some cut corn. That made sense to me.

Figure it ought to get pretty good as soon as it warms up a bit (like this afternoon, supposed to be sunny and 33)

Spurhunter

No deer, no mammals at all...

I think it also depends a bit when those temps occur. I have had crazy good mornings during the rut when the temps are in the teens. The deer are running around and seem to be able to tolerate the cold better.

Post rut, late in the year when food is getting harder to find - yeah, I did not expect to see anything. I just wanted to go out.

My truck said it was 7 degrees when I left. On the way home I spotted about 10 deer down in a low valley that were feeding on some cut corn. That made sense to me.

Figure it ought to get pretty good as soon as it warms up a bit (like this afternoon, supposed to be sunny and 33)
I bet this afternoon will be stellar if it's sunny and 33. The rut changes everything anytime in any conditions. Let a doe get hot and nothing else matters. NOTHING.

Andy S.

For SW TN, most of the daylight deer movement I am getting right now has been 12-2PM, especially the sunny days. Little flurry of movement again right at dark some evenings.

Latest posts