Extreme cold weather

megalomaniac

If I'm off, I'm hunting, don't care about the weather unless there is lightening. That being said, I bet the hunting Friday is gonna suck, with the deer hunkered down in thermal cover conserving heat and calories.

1st rut is still 2 weeks away in south MS, but maybe the cold will encourage some movement down there. Best thing for hunting (but not for the deer) is the hard freeze will burn the native browse, and they will have to move more the weeks after to feed.

JeepKuntry

I am done here in east TN public. I doubt it but if I get time to slip off to Grand Junction (private) in the next week or two I will hunt no matter what. I wouldn't think twice about that temp. I have heavy bases, midi mid layers, Fanatic set.

Last edited:

bowhunterfanatic

Anybody going to brave the single digit temps to hunt Friday? It's always been my experience that when the temps drop into the low 20s and below the deer just don't move a lot, so I won't hunt Friday. However, I'm thinking Thursday might be really good ahead of that cold front.
I've noticed the same thing. I've never had much success on the bitter cold days. I scheduled an afternoon off on Friday weeks ago, so I may go since I'm off, but it'll be with very low expectations if I do.

Jim Fred

The barometer forecast points to the big drop beginning mid morning Wednesday in Middle TN, so I may try to hunt Wednesday & Thursday, but I'm not sure about hunting them cold temps on Friday unless I start seeing a lot more action via trail cams.

CHRIS WILSON

I'm working on Friday but it's going to be bitter cold, so I probably wouldn't go out even if I was off. Even with decent cold weather gear, the cold starts to really creep in on you after just a few hours making it hard to sit still. I'll have to wait and see about Saturday. I'm off the whole week after Christmas, so if I don't get out this weekend, I've still got plenty of opportunities to get out before the season ends.

UCStandSitter

I hunt deer for fun. As I get older, single digit temps can't be made fun no matter the gear. I will be home gettin all fat and sassy on Christmas goodies. Had planned to try and get out Thursday AM just ahead of the worst of it but, just got a call and have to go in for a CT scan test that morning. Not a big deal, not sure why I couldn't have input on the timing. And they want me there at 7:15AM with no caffeine or nicotine in my system. They gonna love me...

JCDEERMAN

Anybody going to brave the single digit temps to hunt Friday? It's always been my experience that when the temps drop into the low 20s and below the deer just don't move a lot, so I won't hunt Friday. However, I'm thinking Thursday might be really good ahead of that cold front.
That's been my experience. If it warms up at least a little, they will be up looking for food. They can't go days without it. My bet would be on Wednesday and Thursday of this week having quite a bit of movement. Wish I could go

backyardtndeer

With 2 already in the freezer, I won't be going this year in the single digit mornings, unless there is absolutely no wind. I am hoping to get a few afternoons in this week, Thursday could be really good.

moondawg

I'd hunr Wednesday and Thursday. Then rest and stay warm during the weekend.

WeatherBug shows temps going back up to the 50s on Monday and Tuesday.

Gravey

i wouldnt call it hunting. but i need need to take 10 or so does off my home farm- we are overrun. i wont shoot a doe with a gun, but i have a 12 yr who will. will be nice to be able to let them hang a week,
I inherited a gun from a family member that passed away and want to get it bloody. Let me know if you need help. Be happy to put one on the ground. 😇