Cooler weather

kaizen leader

Don't ignore this coming Sunday morning. Pressure is going to spike to 30.2 at same time wind is changing major direction twice. Deer will all be on their feet.
They were sure out Friday evening in the neighborhood. Bucks, does, fawns, opossums all over the place. 24 hours before, nothing anywhere. Figure that out. 🤷‍♂️

Ski

They were sure out Friday evening in the neighborhood. Bucks, does, fawns, opossums all over the place. 24 hours before, nothing anywhere. Figure that out. 🤷‍♂️

Right here is why. Look at what the wind was doing all day long, especially from noon to dark. It kept making sudden and complete changes in direction & speed. I've noticed this pattern when trying to figure out why bucks hit scrapes at random times in daylight hours for no apparent reason, when scraping is usually a nighttime activity. The only factor I could find and it's about 70% consistent is that it happens during a major wind direction change or immediately after a rain event. But it relates to all deer movement as well, not just scrapes. My thoughts are that it's because shifty winds force them out of bed because beds are chosen according to wind direction.

1696080133511.png

Ski

Same thing again a week & half ago. Match time stamp of pic with what the weather is doing at the exact same time & you'll notice the deer are out in force when since 3am they had a south wind then zero wind and at 8:30am it begins picking up speed from the north, forcing them out of their beds until direction stabilizes, which never did happen that day.

1696081505569.png

10pt 19sep23.JPG

Does 19sep23.JPG

Ski

That's just one camera this season and we're only in our second weekend. I've got years of examples from dozens of cameras in several states and it's the same pattern. When wind makes a sudden and drastic change in direction, deer are on their feet. I watch the hourly wind forecast and choose my sits by it more than any other factor bar none. Case in point I sat last night because it was shifty day all day and at just before 6pm I aw these two tanks fighting in the broad daylight middle of the same hay field in the pics above. My phone camera couldn't clearly zoom far enough to see antlers but I could see it with my own eyes and could hear it. It was the 10pt in the post above and an even bigger 8pt.

20230929_182927.jpg

kaizen leader

That's just one camera this season and we're only in our second weekend. I've got years of examples from dozens of cameras in several states and it's the same pattern. When wind makes a sudden and drastic change in direction, deer are on their feet. I watch the hourly wind forecast and choose my sits by it more than any other factor bar none. Case in point I sat last night because it was shifty day all day and at just before 6pm I aw these two tanks fighting in the broad daylight middle of the same hay field in the pics above. My phone camera couldn't clearly zoom far enough to see antlers but I could see it with my own eyes and could hear it. It was the 10pt in the post above and an even bigger 8pt.

View attachment 197276
Thank you. I'll try to keep that in mind. Fun to watch them dual. Good luck to you.

Ski

@Ski What source do you find best for this type of data (wind, temp, pressure). And is that were you getting the line graphs from? Good information your posting thanks

Weather underground. If you look at the 10 day forecast it'll show the graph. You can customize the graph to show only the data you're interested in.you can also look up historical data for any date.

Latest posts