Extreme cold weather

Ed Cude

Anybody going to brave the single digit temps to hunt Friday? It's always been my experience that when the temps drop into the low 20s and below the deer just don't move a lot, so I won't hunt Friday. However, I'm thinking Thursday might be really good ahead of that cold front.
If you are cold and uncomfortable the deer are too

30-06 type of guy

Attachments

• 66F6C845-A0C8-486B-8ED5-D62753162548.png
    66F6C845-A0C8-486B-8ED5-D62753162548.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 84

Gravey

I'd love to be out Thursday but my wife is out of town and I'm on dog duty. Could've done a mid-morning til dark hunt but my daughter is coming in from college tomorrow afternoon. She was supposed to go to her moms but the ex's husband has Covid so daughter coming here instead.

Lost Lake

I'll be taking care of livestock during the cold blast that's coming in. Just one of the reasons I despise extremely cold weather. For those of us that have to be out in that kind of mess, it's not fun.

So, no, I won't be out hunting. If I do have free time, I'll be in a nice warm house. There'll be warmer days.

redblood

I'll be taking care of livestock during the cold blast that's coming in. Just one of the reasons I despise extremely cold weather. For those of us that have to be out in that kind of mess, it's not fun.

So, no, I won't be out hunting. If I do have free time, I'll be in a nice warm house. There'll be warmer days.
I will be trying to keep water flowing. And it will be a full time job.

philsanchez76

If I'm off, I'm hunting, don't care about the weather unless there is lightening. That being said, I bet the hunting Friday is gonna suck, with the deer hunkered down in thermal cover conserving heat and calories.

1st rut is still 2 weeks away in south MS, but maybe the cold will encourage some movement down there. Best thing for hunting (but not for the deer) is the hard freeze will burn the native browse, and they will have to move more the weeks after to feed.
Man ive never thought of that hard freeze killing a bunch of the native browse. Makes a lot of sense why I seem to see a lot more deer after Christmas.

sneakybow

Was -15 here at my house in central Idaho this morning. We've warned up to -2 now. Supposed to be 0 tonight, so not as cold, but about 75 miles east of me they're supposed to be -55 with wind chill tonight. Looks like y'all are in for some high winds tomorrow and Saturday. Could be a skating rink down there with the rain turning in to ice overnight tonight. Good time to stay inside.

killingtime 41

best race I ever ran was a 15K in air temp of 18 and wind chill of -6. By the end, I had gotten so hot at my core that I had my shirt unzipped and sleeves pushed up above my elbows. But my forearms and hands got so numb that when I tried to wipe away the snot running down my face it was like slapping myself in the face with a frozen salmon.
I just hate running, period
Last time I ran temps weren't to bad. Matter of fact I was in my draws. Little did I know I was woke up out of bed with the stomach flu. Let's just say when it was said and done I ran at least a 15k race back and forth from the bed to the commode. Lol

BSK

At my place in Humphreys County, temperature dropped 25 degrees in 75 minutes when the front went through. Ended up being a 45 degree drop in 12 hours (from 42 to -3).

agelessssone

Haven't had a deer past my cameras since yesterday afternoon.
Normally will see two families of three and a young buck or two everyday.
I imagine they are nested up out of the wind somewhere.

BSK

Very enjoyable run this morning. Single digits with wind chill of -10. Overheated a bit though. Two layers were one too many. Limited my exposure to only an hour.

Latest posts