Bootheel Report

spoonie

Ranking hunters by the money they will spend and their level of "crazy:"

1) Quail hunters
2) Duck hunters
3) Turkey hunters
4) Deer hunters
I'll spend 7-10k a year waterfowl hunting and I don't own or have to pay a lease fee for the blind I hunt mainly.(add a lease fee it would be 15k) The turkey and deer are lucky if they are thrown 1k-2k at them for food plots and fertilize every year.

Waterfowl hunting has to be dang near like crack. It takes all my vacation, extra money, ect….. just to freeze my a$$ off to kill a bird.

BSK

Waterfowl hunting has to be dang near like crack. It takes all my vacation, extra money, ect….. just to freeze my a$$ off to kill a bird.
I know guys that drop $50K a year for a 6-person blind in AR.

And as for quail hunters, some of those famous quail ranches in south GA and north FL spend $1,000 per bird harvested in management of the land.

tickweed

I know guys that drop $50K a year for a 6-person blind in AR.

And as for quail hunters, some of those famous quail ranches in south GA and north FL spend $1,000 per bird harvested in management of the land.
I know some who will buy a hole , 100,000 an acre. That's really not to bad to kill a duck.lol As stated before, Missouri was decent one time, but the farmers realized it was a cash cow. Put a pit anywhere, flood it, it will rent. You mentioned 4000 for your field. That should have been a tipoff. Missouri is about to be over for a while. Cold air kills most of it.

Displaced_Vol

This has been a run of pretty awful weather and hunting for the mid & southern Mississippi flyway the last several years. Not to say good spots shouldn't still produce some good hunting, but it seems only the best managed private spots are doing anything resembling regular killing. Even then they've likely got multiple holes to rotate and if not they are still managing pressure.
It's just hard to keep paying money for leases and travel for such limited or non existent success.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
This has been a run of pretty awful weather and hunting for the mid & southern Mississippi flyway the last several years. Not to say good spots shouldn't still produce some good hunting, but it seems only the best managed private spots are doing anything resembling regular killing. Even then they've likely got multiple holes to rotate and if not they are still managing pressure.
It's just hard to keep paying money for leases and travel for such limited or non existent success.
Yep this is probably my last year.

Smashdn

Two words, Missouri River. The mallards stack there every year for the last ten. Lots of clubs and CA's - shallow water habitat. When it all freezes they go to the river and dry feed.

Gonna need them to get decent snow and it to stay on the ground for a bit. Looks like it could. Good for moving water hunters, be tough on you field pit guys unless you got a pump or ice eater going.

redblood

I'll spend 7-10k a year waterfowl hunting and I don't own or have to pay a lease fee for the blind I hunt mainly.(add a lease fee it would be 15k) The turkey and deer are lucky if they are thrown 1k-2k at them for food plots and fertilize every year.

that 10 to 12 k

you could buy a nice farm in western ky and make the payment with that ...EASILY!!! Then sell it and make a profit. i just saw 44 acres in western ky right on the river, loaded with ducks (they had dead duck pics in the photos). looked to be a really good deer farm- 68k. if i was a duck hunter i would buy it tomorrow rather than burn up cash at a lease

Cache

2-Step Enabled
that 10 to 12 k

you could buy a nice farm in western ky and make the payment with that ...EASILY!!! Then sell it and make a profit. i just saw 44 acres in western ky right on the river, loaded with ducks (they had dead duck pics in the photos). looked to be a really good deer farm- 68k. if i was a duck hunter i would buy it tomorrow rather than burn up cash at a lease
Got a link? I'm the same way. Hard to find a good lease and even harder to find land at a decent price.

redblood

redblood

This is a different one, but i think it the 2nd half of the first. i think they divided the tract. 80 k would buy it. BTW, i know nothing about duck hunting- im just always looking for deer farms

redblood

seems like a decent deal.
Thanks. I look almost daily across TN, AR, and MS. I'm starting to think I'll never find what I want (or can afford) but one can dream.
i use to lease out of state, but economically it makes no sense. just buy a small one, use it as long as you want, then sell when the market is right and upgrade

BSK

Dang, just checked Whitetail Properties and can't believe what they're asking for hunting land in my area. In Hickman County, near the I-40 bridge over the Duck River, $4,500/acre! Yowza!

redblood

Dang, just checked Whitetail Properties and can't believe what they're asking for hunting land in my area. In Hickman County, near the I-40 bridge over the Duck River, $4,500/acre! Yowza!
TN has horrible land prices compared to other states. western Ky and south central illinois, is better land, better deer and 1/3 the price

Displaced_Vol

If the farm linked was a real duck killer it most likely wouldn't have made it to a listing. Theyve got dead woodies in a picture, which are nice but I didn't see any mallards. Carlisle county can and does have its days for sure but it's a distant third to other west KY river counties. Last note on it is all the sand in those pics. I assume it's awful hard hold water. In a flood it might be good but I don't know it's got potential to be a dynamite duck hole with any regularity.
Now if that's all a body is looking for it's priced just fine, especially with the deer potential.
I've been looking long and hard for places in west KY and the good ones that come up for sale or lease are rarer than hens teeth.

A good example was the farm that just sold at auction up in Ballard county. I think it was 64 acres with over half enrolled in WRP and the last price I saw before auction closed was $348k. Honestly not a bad price IMO and all the big time clubs next door had called about it.

Latest posts