Making the move to the bootheel

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Group of us committed to leasing a pit in SEMO for next year.
Won't be a 1,000 bird spot or nothing but at least we will have a place to go when we want.
Next closest pit is just over 1/2 mile away.
Be nice not having to worry about swing shooters and one shot wonders while we are working birds.
Gotta brush up on my speck calling now. :D

WilcoKen

Group of us committed to leasing a pit in SEMO for next year.
Won't be a 1,000 bird spot or nothing but at least we will have a place to go when we want.
Next closest pit is just over 1/2 mile away.
Be nice not having to worry about swing shooters and one shot wonders while we are working birds.
Gotta brush up on my speck calling now. :D
Glad you have a place to go. Just came off my first season in the Bootheel. Our pit is in the Deering MO area. Our kill numbers were awful but most everyone else's were too. Tons of snows everywhere—sick of them really. Lol. I'm going to give it one more try in 22'-23'. It was a new style of hunting for me but I learned a lot.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Glad you have a place to go. Just came off my first season in the Bootheel. Our pit is in the Deering MO area. Our kill numbers were awful but most everyone else's were too. Tons of snows everywhere—sick of them really. Lol. I'm going to give it one more try in 22'-23'. It was a new style of hunting for me but I learned a lot.
Yeah pit hunting is a different ballgame for sure.
Not my favorite by far but I am tired of the BS that tdub has pulled and sick of working my butt off for basically no birds.
I am kinda like you, I am gonna give it one more shot and if hunting over there isn't any better I will more than likely hang it up completely.
I absolutely love hunting with my friends and my son but I am to the point it is just tiresome.
I can hang out, cook and eat on my deck, plus there I can have a drink. :D

Dodge Man

SEMO is covered up with Pita these days, I hunted a few times over there this year. In some areas there are pits in every other field. They don't flood any fields that don't get hunted so not many birds are sitting in the area. We killed a total of 1 duck and a few snow geese. You will see a lot of birds but most are heading to Big Lake. I don't care if I ever go back.

WilcoKen

SEMO is covered up with Pita these days, I hunted a few times over there this year. In some areas there are pits in every other field. They don't flood any fields that don't get hunted so not many birds are sitting in the area. We killed a total of 1 duck and a few snow geese. You will see a lot of birds but most are heading to Big Lake. I don't care if I ever go back.
This is one of the things I'm learning as well. But our biggest nemesis was not controlling our field drain. Our field flooded 3" over the top of the pit back around New Years. Couldn't get the water off the field so we could drain the pit and hunt it. Beavers had stopped up the pipe in a major way. Resorted to hunting the levee which just didn't work. We killed 18 ducks and 8 geese. Awful. But I'll give it one more shot.

tickweed

Again, same old story. Pits now in every field. Hmmmm, wonder if it could be pressure over the yrs. I would never berate any spot, but think about this. If a spot is available, why is it available? If I was in a spot, that had lots traffic every year, killed on a regular basis, when would I let it go? The landowners, farmers in Missouri are making more off duck hunters than farming. They can put a pit anywhere, lease it. Most really good spots are long gone, big time money spots, been leased, or sold for years. Same everywhere. Big money game now if you wanna have a sure nuff kill hole. Good luck Ruger. I hope it works out. Specks are the best thing going

WilcoKen

Yep, lots of pros and lots of cons to hunting in a pit over there.
Only thing I know for sure is we have a better chance to kill SOMETHING over there than we do here.
Gonna try it a year and go from there.
This is exactly my sentiments. It is way better than anything in middle Tennessee. And the license cost is not really that much either. Something else I'm going to try next year is hunting some of the public land options over there. To me, it's just better there.

WilcoKen

Hunting pits is all fun and games until your 18" of water gets frozen solid on a cold morning.
Yes and that 18 inches of ice encases your entire pit. I WILL be in control of our pump and drain next season.

WilcoKen

Again, same old story. Pits now in every field. Hmmmm, wonder if it could be pressure over the yrs. I would never berate any spot, but think about this. If a spot is available, why is it available? If I was in a spot, that had lots traffic every year, killed on a regular basis, when would I let it go? The landowners, farmers in Missouri are making more off duck hunters than farming. They can put a pit anywhere, lease it. Most really good spots are long gone, big time money spots, been leased, or sold for years. Same everywhere. Big money game now if you wanna have a sure nuff kill hole. Good luck Ruger. I hope it works out. Specks are the best thing going
Very good perspective. SEMO is a new game for me but I am learning very fast.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
There's a peace of mind that comes with hunting private. I think you will find it much more enjoyable. No more worrying about the sky busting and lack of respect on public.
Be ready to drop everything and get to the pit when it turns on. Even a bad pit can have really good days. Good luck!

Don'tDrinkTinks

I have a pit in East AR and even though we had a less than stellar year I love it. I've learned a lot. Few tips for you…

1. Buy a generator, sump pump, and an ice eater. No matter what you do that pit will more than likely flood at some point. Our 16' pit will pump out in 30 mins or less with the pump I have. I hard pvc piped the outlet. Beats a hose hands down. Ice eater has been a life saver. If your field is 18" deep with water there's no way in hell it's freezing solid. Thickest our ice got was 3/4" this past season but when it did we had a lot of open water with the ice eater.