Making the move to the bootheel

Don'tDrinkTinks

We used to keep a pit in SEMO several years back. It was nice we could hunt 2 states in a day. I had some incredible hunts there certainly on the thaw. Even if it doesn't thaw if it rains on top of ice be there! I am not sure there is anyway you could run an ice eater without digging a pit. A puddle buster may work though?

One thing that got me about that place was everyone hunting in those d@mned pits from daylight to dark... I never remember hunting in a pit until dark in AR before? That kind of pressure certainly has affected the ducks over there.. I thing I would try goose hunting if I still hunted in SEMO.. Good luck
Truth be told the last couple of years we've killed mor ducks getting in the pit and noon than we have 30 minutes for daylight.

RobbyW

I am from NE Arkansas and my brother farms there. He leases out several pits that surround big lake. Always hear kill numbers suck but he still has waiting list if any pits come open. They never do.

It's not mud, it gumbo. Mud only wishes it was sticky like gumbo. I might have buried a truck or two in gumbo as a teenager.

Bgoodman30

Truth be told the last couple of years we've killed mor ducks getting in the pit and noon than we have 30 minutes for daylight.

I am not saying anything against it we certainly did better in the afternoons this year in TN too but that was mostly due to ice in the mornings. I just remember when we used to hunt pits in AR back in the day we never stayed all day. You can definitely tell the hunting pressure has hurt the hunting in SEMO because there is no shortage of ducks...

Dodge Man

LMAO at you guys bitching about the mud…what do you expect?
Its not normal mud, its a combination of sand and clay. Its super sticky and very hard to get off of anything. It dose not clear off a 4 wheeler tire or anything else. It will cover your mud tire and make it drive like a bald tire. It will also fill your finder welds and everything else and make it hard to drive. It is just different then any other mud i have messed with. I hate it!

CBU93

Its not normal mud, its a combination of sand and clay. Its super sticky and very hard to get off of anything. It dose not clear off a 4 wheeler tire or anything else. It will cover your mud tire and make it drive like a bald tire. It will also fill your finder welds and everything else and make it hard to drive. It is just different then any other mud i have messed with. I hate it!
I know…I have tried to explain that to people and they just don't get it…I have seen chunks fall out of my truck in August that finally broke loose from the previous season. Ruger and friends are in for an awakening…y'all ain't seen nothing yet!

Duck dogn

Group of us committed to leasing a pit in SEMO for next year.
Won't be a 1,000 bird spot or nothing but at least we will have a place to go when we want.
Next closest pit is just over 1/2 mile away.
Be nice not having to worry about swing shooters and one shot wonders while we are working birds.
Gotta brush up on my speck calling now. :D
Let me know when you need extra gun lol

GUNNERX2

I've not duck hunted around that mess but years ago, I deer hunted on the AL/MS state line and that crap was awful. Walking to the stand from the truck, your boots would like snow shoes with the mud building up with every step. It wasn't unusual to see a mud ball the size of a softball with a perfect deer hoof impression in the middle where the deer kicked it off when jumping a fence. Worst mud I've ever seen and don't want to see again.

JRC

I wish you luck.
Our group has hunted 12yrs in the bootheel with this past year my last. It has changed so much since we started hunting across the river. We've had some outstanding hunts in years past, but the last three years have been terrible. The good years you could overlook the mud & 2 hr. drive one way with $3 gallon gas but not anymore. If a field is open now there's a reason. The fields with pits in them have quadrupled since we started hunting. With that pressure comes also. Big money has also come in play with guides & outfitters leasing & subleasing the better fields. Just my 2 cents.

OldGoat68

We decided to make the move a few years ago but went a bit further west into AR. Found a very decent house to rent by the year with a barn to keep equipment. Lease a traditional blind and have a sled blind. just nice to not have to fight the crowds unless we decide to go into the timber holes and that's not bad. Just do your homework before leasing, there's gar holes over there too.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
We decided to make the move a few years ago but went a bit further west into AR. Found a very decent house to rent by the year with a barn to keep equipment. Lease a traditional blind and have a sled blind. just nice to not have to fight the crowds unless we decide to go into the timber holes and that's not bad. Just do your homework before leasing, there's gar holes over there too.
We are about 2 miles from the Arkansas line in Steele

Displaced_Vol

I may have missed it but do you all get access to hunt spring snow geese too? Early teal/goose? Or is it just for the main segment of duck season? Just curious what the SOP is over there, I don't think we get any of the extra seasons with ours in KY but from a practical matter it wouldn't matter as it's usually bone dry then anyway.

Far southwest KY has some pretty good mud too. Maybe not as bad as Mo or AR, but way stickier than what we've got here.
Found out closing weekend that it can also kick up some serious dust if it's not wet or frozen.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I may have missed it but do you all get access to hunt spring snow geese too? Early teal/goose? Or is it just for the main segment of duck season? Just curious what the SOP is over there, I don't think we get any of the extra seasons with ours in KY but from a practical matter it wouldn't matter as it's usually bone dry then anyway.

Far southwest KY has some pretty good mud too. Maybe not as bad as Mo or AR, but way stickier than what we've got here.
Found out closing weekend that it can also kick up some serious dust if it's not wet or frozen.
I am pretty sure we can do the spring snow goose deal but honestly I don't wanna work that hard so I didn't even ask.
Never thought to ask about the early season, as I figured it would still be in rice then. Might check into that one.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My friends always have a spot in Steel. It is not but 40-45 minute drive from West TN. I normally just make the drive and never stay overnight. But there is a Deerfield Inn at the Exit near the truck stop at Steel that would be close.
Yeah it's right at an hour and a half from my house so I will be driving back as well.
We got 5 guys in the group that live quite a ways away though.

Displaced_Vol

I am pretty sure we can do the spring snow goose deal but honestly I don't wanna work that hard so I didn't even ask.
Never thought to ask about the early season, as I figured it would still be in rice then. Might check into that one.
Good point on the snows and you're probably right about the rice. Like I said just curious.
We don't the guy we lease from really well but we are getting to know him a bit. It's more a family deal not necessarily a more formal guiding & leasing operation. I think we're going to get to have input in how they develop the spot too which is nice.

Latest posts