Bootheel Report

redblood

If the farm linked was a real duck killer it most likely wouldn't have made it to a listing. Theyve got dead woodies in a picture, which are nice but I didn't see any mallards. Carlisle county can and does have its days for sure but it's a distant third to other west KY river counties. Last note on it is all the sand in those pics. I assume it's awful hard hold water. In a flood it might be good but I don't know it's got potential to be a dynamite duck hole with any regularity.
Now if that's all a body is looking for it's priced just fine, especially with the deer potential.
I've been looking long and hard for places in west KY and the good ones that come up for sale or lease are rarer than hens teeth.

A good example was the farm that just sold at auction up in Ballard county. I think it was 64 acres with over half enrolled in WRP and the last price I saw before auction closed was $348k. Honestly not a bad price IMO and all the big time clubs next door had called about it.
I admit i wouldnt know a good duck hole from a bad one.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I would totally look into spending the money on a good trip up north instead of hoping for a few good days here. I know things have changed, but we used to hunt basically for free in North Dakota and Canada. A three bedroom house in Canada was $13 a night and permission to hunt anywhere was easy. We just had to pay for gas and food…and lots of shotgun shells.

BSK

I would totally look into spending the money on a good trip up north instead of hoping for a few good days here. I know things have changed, but we used to hunt basically for free in North Dakota and Canada. A three bedroom house in Canada was $13 a night and permission to hunt anywhere was easy. We just had to pay for gas and food…and lots of shotgun shells.
I BIL of mine would go to an Indian Reservation in the Dakotas along a major river and shoot the snot out of ducks every year. Wasn't an expensive trip.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I BIL of mine would go to an Indian Reservation in the Dakotas along a major river and shoot the snot out of ducks every year. Wasn't an expensive trip.
We were pretty uncomfortable going to the reservations. I'd say mostly because I have relatives and friends up there that do not have a good opinion of them…may or may not be justified in their thinking, but that was the way it was. There was also just so many places to go that has tons of birds that we never had to even consider the reservation.

BSK

We were pretty uncomfortable going to the reservations. I'd say mostly because I have relatives and friends up there that do not have a good opinion of them…may or may not be justified in their thinking, but that was the way it was. There was also just so many places to go that has tons of birds that we never had to even consider the reservation.
From what I gather, the Reservation's harvest regulations are a bit lax.

Levee Jumper

Few screenshots while we were birdwatching. 91C57EBA-9908-4A38-B0F6-6ECEE17FD1EE.jpeg808A4FCE-5176-4FC8-BEC0-572541F2782B.jpeg5D7B7827-E20E-4FA1-B50B-56DFA27F59FD.jpeg

Bgoodman30

I know some who will buy a hole , 100,000 an acre. That's really not to bad to kill a duck.lol As stated before, Missouri was decent one time, but the farmers realized it was a cash cow. Put a pit anywhere, flood it, it will rent. You mentioned 4000 for your field. That should have been a tipoff. Missouri is about to be over for a while. Cold air kills most of it.

Buy Dirt.. ;)

Displaced_Vol

Buddy has been to pit last 2 days. Zero ducks killed. Covered in fog this morning. Glad I stayed home. Pit still at 9 for the season. My son and I killed more on Old Hickory Tuesday alone.
Everything thawed out up that way?
Yesterday was a big change for us in south central KY. The kiddo and I went scouting and the difference in farm ponds when we left at 9:30 and got back at 3:30 was drastic.

WilcoKen

Everything thawed out up that way?
Yesterday was a big change for us in south central KY. The kiddo and I went scouting and the difference in farm ponds when we left at 9:30 and got back at 3:30 was drastic.
Yes its thawed--according to one of our group.

Latest posts