.22 Rimfire Ammo accuracy

DaveTN

I was watching a video and the shooter said he gets better accuracy with CCI Standard, sub sonic, lead, than he gets with Mini-Mags. I've never heard anyone say that before, or at least I wasn't paying attention if they did. What do you guys think?

I don't buy anything other than CCI anymore, that's because it's all I have found that will feed in everything I have owned. I'm down to one .22 now, a Remington 597. It was really cheap but it's accurate. (But I've only shot it at a 25 yard indoor range) I'm thinking about adding a bolt .22. I also find that the Mini-Mag Hollow Points are more accurate than the copper plated round nose. I'm not sure why that is.

I have some Aguila Subsonic 60-grain lead that a friend gave me when I thought I was going to have to shoot a skunk in my yard, but I haven't shot any of it. He said its pretty quite.

[EDIT] These are range toys, I'm not doing any hunting. I'm only shooting paper.

Last edited:

mike243

40g lead is all I want if I am trying to shoot groups, shooting close 30y or less almost ammo will shoot really good, move to 50y and over and you weed it out quickly, the powder load will cause a lot of ugly shots, same thing for high power rifles, lead is easier for me to clean than copper fouling and is more accurate for the most part in my Marlins. Back years ago when I would shoot 500+ rounds a week I could hear the difference in the rounds and knew before I looked at the target that that shot was going to be a flyer. Hyper velocity won't ever be as accurate at a standard velocity ammo. When you pay the big $$ for 22 ammo you are paying for consistency, that's what it takes to get good groups. You won't hear low or louder shots, I shot Federal 40g and think they were #411, all the numbers changed at some point when I blinked, also ammo went over $20 for 500r. the fed auto match was very disappointing when I ran out of ammo and had to restock, was shocked at the prices also. then the ammo hoarding started, I have s couple thousand rounds of various flavors due to hoarding and not mine lol.

mike243

Also not cracking the sound barrier keeps bullets more stable, it costs more so I don't feel as a weekend shooter I need the little xtra accuracy. Also all guns will have a preference for different ammo, it might take 20-30 rounds through the rifle when you switch ammo, don't just shoot a few and say they won't shoot good, shoot 50rds before you move on. I don't clean the barrel till my accuracy falls off, all the different ammo will be different.

Jcalder

I don't find the accuracy of mini mags all that attractive. Most standard velocity will outshoot high velocity 22 bullets. I've found round nose bullets used in standard velocity don't kill as quick as the hp used in the high velocity, so if I was strictly hunting mini mags would be fine. If you really wanna see how poor mini mags shoot, get some center x or tenex.

DaveTN

Also a bolt action will give tighter groups, I prefer semi actions because I hunt with mine and I like to stay on target for a follow up shot.
Yeah, I have a semi auto, that I'm really pleased with. As a matter of fact, I sold it once to a family member, and then talked them into selling it back to me. I just think I need a bolt. I'm just not going to spend a grand, I don't think I need to.

SPD FRK 70

Yeah, I have a semi auto, that I'm really pleased with. As a matter of fact, I sold it once to a family member, and then talked them into selling it back to me. I just think I need a bolt. I'm just not going to spend a grand, I don't think I need to.
We've got an old Browning t-bolt that's pretty accurate now I'm not saying it'll stand up next to the most expensive bench rifles but I let my son shoot it and out of all the ones we have he liked it the most because he could catch the x on the target every time😁

So now that particular rifle is his

DaveTN

I don't find the accuracy of mini mags all that attractive. Most standard velocity will outshoot high velocity 22 bullets. I've found round nose bullets used in standard velocity don't kill as quick as the hp used in the high velocity, so if I was strictly hunting mini mags would be fine. If you really wanna see how poor mini mags shoot, get some center x or tenex.
I added it to my OP, I should have said that these are range toys, I'm not doing any hunting. But I will check out other ammo.

Snowwolfe

IMO mini mags are a poor choice for trying to find the accuracy potential of any rimfire rifle.
I shoot a lot of them but usually only at critters up to 25 yards away. A much better choice for a rifle is to start with CCI SV ammo and then work your way upward (more $$$$) ammo.

Mini mags hit harder and function better in semi auto's. That is their main selling point.

DaveTN

If you're bragging about mini mags at the range, shoot some good ammo.
I'm not bragging about Mini Mags. I'm just saying that's all I have found that have never failed to feed in anything I have. But I've never bought any high dollar .22 ammo. I'm just asking people's opinions, thanks for sharing yours.

SPD FRK 70

Mid-South shooters check it out get you some aguila
If you like minimags these are comparable at half the price I guarantee it now I'm shooting at an indoor range not very much distance say 75 ft My kid can put either through the same hole with his old browning
I'm sure there's better ammo just like this better shooters and better firearms but on a budget the aguila is better than 7 to 10 cents around for any Remington garbage or Winchester crap I've tried them all side by side
No failures with minis or aguila but More than I'd like with the average Winchester Federal or Remington low budget ammo I don't even buy it anymore

Last edited:

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I did a test a couple of years back with my Savage bolt action. Norma Tac had the best groups, followed by CCI, then Winchester and Aguila. All of those were acceptable for squirrel hunting. Remington Golden bullet and Thunderbolt were only fit for shooting tin cans in that rifle.

MUP

I was watching a video and the shooter said he gets better accuracy with CCI Standard, sub sonic, lead, than he gets with Mini-Mags. I've never heard anyone say that before, or at least I wasn't paying attention if they did. What do you guys think?

I don't buy anything other than CCI anymore, that's because it's all I have found that will feed in everything I have owned. I'm down to one .22 now, a Remington 597. It was really cheap but it's accurate. (But I've only shot it at a 25 yard indoor range) I'm thinking about adding a bolt .22. I also find that the Mini-Mag Hollow Points are more accurate than the copper plated round nose. I'm not sure why that is.

I have some Aguila Subsonic 60-grain lead that a friend gave me when I thought I was going to have to shoot a skunk in my yard, but I haven't shot any of it. He said its pretty quite.

[EDIT] These are range toys, I'm not doing any hunting. I'm only shooting paper.
If you don't like the current trend in powder and primer prices for reloading, you're sure not going to like hearing about "good" match ammo for a bench .22. There's a reason I'm broke right now. 😩

ETA- Norma TAC is some of the best "affordable" ammo I've shot from my .22 bolt gun.

DaveTN

If you don't like the current trend in powder and primer prices for reloading, you're sure not going to like hearing about "good" match ammo for a bench .22. There's a reason I'm broke right now. 😩

ETA- Norma TAC is some of the best "affordable" ammo I've shot from my .22 bolt gun.
Whats the bolt gun you shoot in competition?

Remi

I thought mini-mags shot good until I shot CCI SV and I thought CCI SV shot good until I shot some good ammo.

In my stuff Norma Tac22 shoots much better than CCI anything, SK shoots better than Norma, Lapua and RWS r50 shoot the best by far in my stuff. A few guys have brought minimags to our local shoots and they get absolutely destroyed and then switch to better ammo by the next match if they come back.

I use Norma for practice and Lapua for score in our monthy comps.

Latest posts