Question for the accuracy guys.

Harold Money jr

Give us preseason siter-inners some pointers to make our rifles are a bit more accurate. Should we clean our barrels or not? What should we use if we do? Maybe what should we never do might be of some help as well. Do you have any other tips for us average rifle shooters.

Jcalder

I hardly ever clean a barrel. Wipe the outside down periodically. Use quality mounting systems. I prefer a pic rail and mounts but some guys like a one piece system. Whatever you use, get quality. Make sure everything is tight. Same goes with optics. The market is flooded with junk. Buy quality. Stock up on ammo. Find something your rifle likes and buy plenty. Every year it seems guys go to get a box of ammo and the store is sold out, and they go scrambling to find some. Or, in the case of shag, his rifle likes a particular ammo and it's no longer made. Get a liberal president like we currently have, and ammo got scarce quickly. It's coming back, but it's not like it was pre Obama. Practice. Don't shoot 3 rounds and call it good. Shoot that gun. I couldn't tell you how many rifles I personally sight in for other guys every year, and they won't practice with them. They have no idea what the gun is capable of. And they usually have a nice rifle and a cheap Chinese junk scope.

Remi

Buy good stuff and practice

I don't clean hunting guns very often. I use CLR for carbon and Montana Xtreme Copper killer for copper.

I like my optics leveled to my actions

Have a good trigger, I like mine 2-3lbs. As long as they're like people, not creepy, I can usually handle about anything but a good 2-3lb crisp trigger helps accuracy.

My stuff shoots better free floated, not a dollar bill slides down the barrel floated, but floated enough that the stock and barrel clear even with some pressure on it.

My stuff also shoots better glass bedded but that's a step some guys aren't comfortable taking.

Avoid rifle cant, keep your crosshairs level shot to shot.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Whether or not you should clean the barrel or not is an argument like the caliber wars, that will go on forever. It should be cleaned and lubed after every outing. Just use quality gun cleaner and lube. Use care not to damage the crown. Some people believe more damage is done during cleaning than from shooting. That's possible I guess, so don't be that guy.

You obviously need quality ammo for hunting. But you can use cheap brass case ammo for range time. Never use steel case ammo. And never use corrosive ammunition. Most isn't Corrosive anymore, but some military surplus ammo and foreign junk ammo might be.

Shoot a lot. That will help more than anything. Obviously, you don't need to use expensive hunting ammo to do that. You just need to verify with your hunting ammo you are on target with it before hunting.

Most everyone loves Hoppes #9 for cleaning. It works great, but my wife gets migraines that are set off by smells, so she told me I had to take my gun cleaning out to the garage. That wasn't happening so I switched to M-Pro 7, it works great and has no smell.

Any quality gun oil works fine. Since you are cleaning after every use it shouldn't really matter. WD40 is not a gun oil and has no place around guns, especially guns that may be stored for a long time.

Harold Money jr

Great info, I have a Remington model 600 from 1970, an ABolt from 1990 and a Vanguard from about 1989. I'd say the 600 has had no more than 10 boxes through it and the other 2 probably half that. I was thinking it might be time to deep clean barrels. I've been using Ballistol for the outside and love everything about it except the smell. The all have Vari X III's on them with good bases. I look forward to more great tips.

lafn96

Practice, and not just at 100 yds. Great to use ballistics charts or apps, but doesn't beat real world experience shooting your chosen ammo at all ranges up to and exceeding what you think your max distance shot will likely be. Learn your hold-overs and/or adjusting the scope. Learn how to read and adjust for wind.

Lastly, find the ammo your rifle likes best. My 300 wby is extremely picky, I've probably tried about 15 different rounds and only 2 have shot under 1". Several, including premium Hornady rounds, I couldn't group under 4" at 100 yds. My 6.5CM will shoot at or just over 1" with just about any type of ammo I feed it.

TNRifleman

Sorry for the copy and paste but this is a small segment I wrote for a Bergara page. Wade through some of the fluff and their's some decent info in there. Also, for what it's worth, I almost NEVER clean my rifles. I have found they shoot MUCH better dirty and I only clean when accuracy falls off.

There are lots of questions on accuracy that come up on this page and rightly so as everyone expects their gun to shoot. That being said, accuracy is not just a function of the gun itself, but a combination of a lot of variables, including those that we may dismiss or not even think about.
This will be a long post but I am hoping that it will be helpful, especially to those newer to shooting. I thought I would take some time and make a few observations about some of the variables that go into shooting a rifle accurately and consistently, mainly as a help for new shooters but certainly a reminder to those of us who have a little bit more time behind the trigger. This certainly will not be an exhaustive list but more of a culmination of things I have learned the hard way as I have gone from purely hunter to recreational target shooter.

In my case, I consider myself an average shooter at best as evidenced by the fact that I have some really good days at the range and some really bad days. My main focus for improvement in the last couple of years has been on increasing consistency as I know if I do my part, I have certain rifles that will consistently shoot sub ½ MOA groups.

First let me say that an accuracy problem can absolutely be an issue with the gun itself. I don't think any of us would deny that these issues have happened, though they are extremely rare. However, before deciding that you got a lemon, here are some things to consider. Again, this list is primarily for people who are newer to shooting as most of you veterans are probably doing most of this a second nature.

1. Optics system, accessories and torque values – I lump these together because there is a great post in the "Announcements" section of this page outlining all of the things to check. I won't rehash that here but check out that post to read about the affects of bases, rings, action screw torque, suppressors, brakes, etc.

2. Rest – Make sure that your rest is solid and comfortable to shoot from if you are at the range shooting for groups. Shooting from a card table or off the hood of pickup are not going to be nearly as consistent as shooting from a solid table with a good front rest and rear bag. A little wobble in your rest can cause tons of variation.

3. Recoil and flinching – Make sure that you are not flinching or anticipating the shot as this can greatly affect accuracy. Having a friend load your magazine and randomly inserting a snap cap round will help you to see if you have any issues with flinching or anticipating the shot. I think this is why we sometimes see more issues with accuracy with heavier recoiling, .30 cal and up rifles than we do with the mild recoiling rifles in 6MM or 6.5 CM. I know for a fact that I shoot my 6.5's more consistently than my 30-06's which is a direct reflection of my skill, or lack thereof.

4. Ammunition – Some rifles seem to be pickier than others in regards to ammunition. I have found my 6.5's to like a greater variety of ammo than my 270's or 30-06's. That being said, try several different ammo types and several different grain weights to see which ones group the best. Don't worry about hitting the actual bullseye, just see what ammo prints the smallest groups. When you find the best ammo for YOUR gun, then sight it in to your liking. Remember, just because your buddy's HMR shoots XXX brand ammo the best doesn't mean yours will have the same results with the same ammo.

5. Practice – I think one of the things we neglect the most is practice. A lot of us feel like we have picked up and awesome rifle and we should be able to shoot it well regardless. The truth is, it takes a fair amount of skill and practice to consistently shoot really good groups. Practicing consistent cheek weld, trigger pull and site alignment are crucial to shooting consistently good groups and this will not happen without shooting a fair number of rounds each year. This is also the reason that it is much easier to shoot a 14 lb. rifle accurately than a 7 ½ lb rifle. The weight of the rifle can make up for some of the issues from lack of practice. A great way to practice is with a .22 long rifle that is set up as close to the specs as your target rifle as possible. A .22 is cheaper to shoot and much easier to focus on ingraining the fundamentals without worrying about recoil. Also, don't underestimate the importance of dry firing to work on consistent trigger pull.

6. Having a bad day – We all have bad days at the range and some days you just don't have it. I have taken out my Premier Stalker in 30-06 and sighted it in, shooting a group that measured .48". A couple of weeks later I took that rifle out to practice, shot rounds from the same box of ammo and shot it just under 1.5". I didn't shoot any rifle well that day and I just chalked it up to a bad day. Maybe I had too much coffee, I wasn't focused or my mind was on something else, but something caused me to have issues.

recurve60#

What TNRifleman said.
I dont run anything down my barrel unless accuracy falls off or if ive hunted in the rain. Even then for me its just oily patches until bright and shiny.
Be careful if you use a copper solvent. Make DANG sure you remove all of it. Ask me how I know.
Another thing, while on the bench or hunting never rest your barrel on anything. Only the forearm should be rested.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I hardly ever clean a barrel. Wipe the outside down periodically. Use quality mounting systems. I prefer a pic rail and mounts but some guys like a one piece system. Whatever you use, get quality. Make sure everything is tight. Same goes with optics. The market is flooded with junk. Buy quality. Stock up on ammo. Find something your rifle likes and buy plenty. Every year it seems guys go to get a box of ammo and the store is sold out, and they go scrambling to find some. Or, in the case of shag, his rifle likes a particular ammo and it's no longer made. Get a liberal president like we currently have, and ammo got scarce quickly. It's coming back, but it's not like it was pre Obama. Practice. Don't shoot 3 rounds and call it good. Shoot that gun. I couldn't tell you how many rifles I personally sight in for other guys every year, and they won't practice with them. They have no idea what the gun is capable of. And they usually have a nice rifle and a cheap Chinese junk scope.
You know its crazy,, I remember growing up and you could go to any store at any time and pick up a couple boxes right before season and to the average hunter, Those 2 boxes would last several seasons

Jcalder

You know its crazy,, I remember growing up and you could go to any store at any time and pick up a couple boxes right before season and to the average hunter, Those 2 boxes would last several seasons
We don't live in those times anymore. Wasn't that long ago and you couldn't find a box of anything. Be nice to go back to them days

recurve60#

They absolutely still can.
I must add that there are a plethora of deer targets to shoot at and the limit is higher now than then. Honestly a good rifle once sighted in correctly a dozen boxes should last a lifetime if a high quality scope is involved with good rifle care.
Not everyone is addicted to shooting. Shoot one at 100yd before season. If its on, good to go.

Last edited:

jlanecr500

I used to shoot a lot. I worked up loads for several rifles and sml's, bullet tested for a friend in the bullet making business and pressure traced never before fired unknown sml loads to keep everyone safe in sml load development. Learning to manipulate Quick Load made sml load development incredibly less complicated. With 100 loaded rounds for each, the ones I might be hunting with are fired 1 time before season. If the gun is on, it is only fired again if presented with an opportunity or I deem it unreliable from getting hit or dropped. That 100 rounds will last a long time but I still have the original components lot in which to reload. Sml's fire the last loaded round from previous season to check zero and reloaded immediately. Did that yesterday.

That said, I have collected 5 rifles over the last few years so its range time again to work up loads. Not sure I'm looking forward to it as much as in the past.

Last edited:

Latest posts