Question for the accuracy guys.

fairchaser

If I were to guess why most deer are missed under 100 yards it's not shooting from a solid rest. A hunter with a rifle that shoots 1.5 MOA from a bench will miss a deer at 70 yards because he's got a 5 lb trigger and he gets excited and jerks the trigger shooting freehand. Easy miss!

If you aren't going to upgrade your trigger and practice shooting offhand, you need a solid rest to shoot from. I suggest a trigger stick stuck inside your rubber boot at a minimum.

mr.big

If I were to guess why most deer are missed under 100 yards it's not shooting from a solid rest. A hunter with a rifle that shoots 1.5 MOA from a bench will miss a deer at 70 yards because he's got a 5 lb trigger and he gets excited and jerks the trigger shooting freehand. Easy miss!

If you aren't going to upgrade your trigger and practice shooting offhand, you need a solid rest to shoot from. I suggest a trigger stick stuck inside your rubber boot at a minimum.
Throw in the magnum flinch for the rest of the misses

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled

A decent trigger is one of the best things as far as accuracy imo.

fairchaser

A decent trigger is one of the best things as far as accuracy imo.
Agree. I have a 2oz Bix and Andy trigger on my match rifle. Costs more than some deer rifles but it makes a difference long range. The problem is my 3 lb trigger on my browning Abolt feels like a vise now. I generally dry fire a few when I first get set up in the stand.

mr.big

Agree. I have a 2oz Bix and Andy trigger on my match rifle. Costs more than some deer rifles but it makes a difference long range. The problem is my 3 lb trigger on my browning Abolt feels like a vise now. I generally dry fire a few when I first get set up in the stand.
After shooting about 5000 rounds this summer from my match rifle , shooting a couple deer rifles last week I was thinking the safety was broke or something. Lol

Swampster

Practice, and not just at 100 yds. Great to use ballistics charts or apps, but doesn't beat real world experience shooting
I recently discovered that the app for my scope was 7-8 clicks high on elevation at 425 yards, with a 200 yard zero. I thought that with a 16" barrel it might be off the other way. I doubt that I'll be shooting any deer much past 100 yards though. A coyote I would throw lead at any range if that was the only shot I was going to get. Seems if they are never shot at, they tend to get closer and closer to the house, and chickens.

Swampster

I recently discovered that the app for my scope was 7-8 clicks high on elevation at 425 yards, with a 200 yard zero. I thought that with a 16" barrel it might be off the other way.
Never mind this - was shooting today at 100 yards and it was still over 8 inches higher than expected. I would guess my grown sons have messed with the scope settings at sometime!

Latest posts