Rimfire accuracy...

DaveTN

30+ posts in....and Mike makes an obvious observation....reamers don't wear "bigger". Through this entire thread, it has been accepted that reamers wear and cause sloppy, oversized chambers. But Mike is correct....the reamer wouldn't get bigger...it would get smaller...making a tighter chamber.
Now what??
I'm not a gunsmith and I have never reamed a rifle chamber, But I'm a Toolmaker that has reamed plenty of critical tolerance holes. A reamer needs to cut. If it isn't doing so, it can cause an oversized hole. I assume the chamber is roughed out prior to a finish reamer? The drill size or a roughing reamer is critical, too much or too little stock left or the reamer to cut can impact size. Hitting the bottom of the chamber could impact size. The flow or lack of coolant can impact size. Runout in the machine set-up can impact size.

I would suspect most rifle manufacturers have a system that allows for a machine operator that doesn't have to do much other than load and unload parts, but they may not, and the machinist running the barrels may be critical to fit, form, and function.

Lt.Dan

Hmm I have an ancient single shot Remington I think I may have to test some ammo with. All I know is modern ammo seems to get stuck in the chamber after firing quite often. It might have some use after all. It was my dad's gun, and both my brother and I learned to hunt using it. One shot, one kill.

Tenntrapper

Hmm I have an ancient single shot Remington I think I may have to test some ammo with. All I know is modern ammo seems to get stuck in the chamber after firing quite often. It might have some use after all. It was my dad's gun, and both my brother and I learned to hunt using it. One shot, one kill.
You might want to give the chamber a good cleaning. I've got an old single shot marlin that every round was getting seriously stuck in. Apparently if you shoot a bunch of shorts in one, it can build up a lead/carbon/gunk ring that will stick longer rounds when fired.
I've pretty much given up on it. Only thing I use for now is shooting rat shot at boring bees... 😂

BTW, did you know that Henry now makes a smooth bore "garden gun"??

Lt.Dan

You might want to give the chamber a good cleaning. I've got an old single shot marlin that every round was getting seriously stuck in. Apparently if you shoot a bunch of shorts in one, it can build up a lead/carbon/gunk ring that will stick longer rounds when fired.
I've pretty much given up on it. Only thing I use for now is shooting rat shot at boring bees... 😂

BTW, did you know that Henry now makes a smooth bore "garden gun"??

Been done, several times over.

DaveTN

Does it do it with different ammo? I had a S&W 617 that Winchester ammo would get stuck in. Nothing wrong with the gun and CCI would pop out just the way they are supposed to.

Lt.Dan

Does it do it with different ammo? I had a S&W 617 that Winchester ammo would get stuck in. Nothing wrong with the gun and CCI would pop out just the way they are supposed to.
I can't really say. Personally I haven't shot the gun in 47 years. One of my grandkids was shooting it last year, and the brass kept getting stuck. But I may just investigate some match ammo in it. May give @MUP something to worry about at the next rimfire match.

Billboy

I think Barrel quality is a big factor as well as chamber reaming type/accuracy. Easiest upgrade on most rimfires is an aftermarket barrel that is more accurately machined. Barrel straightness, bore concentricity, and bore finish will all have a big effect on accuracy. Of course, these aftermarket barrels are likely chambered with greater care than a mass-produced factory barrel.

Light Triggers are the most important element that most factory guns don't come with. I have a Marlin 880SQ with an after market trigger that will shoot right with CZ's and Kimbers. I am referring to sporter weight hunting rifles.

Latest posts