22 plinker suggestions

Tenntrapper

First thing...let's rule out 10/22s and model 60s. I've got and/or had 10/22s, and just a few years ago, I had 26 model 60s. Both are fine rifles, just looking for something different. Also not interested in an AR type platform. Ok, so let's just rule out semi autos all together.

CZs are also out, I've owned about 20 of those and they are awesome...but not what I'm looking for.

Been looking at the Henry's, just the basic H001. I like the idea of them, but reviews are all over the place. Most say... beautiful rifle, smooth, etc. But I'm also reading a bunch of... doesn't shoot to POA. I've read several having to change the sights because something just isn't regulated correctly...or something.

A Marlin 39a would be the cat's meow...but I'm not going to pay those prices.

So, here we are. I want something to "plink" with. Doesn't have to shoot bug holes, but hitting where I'm aiming is a definite must.

Any suggestions? Something I perhaps haven't thought of?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tenntrapper

Bite the boolit and get the 39a. Either that or a BLR 22
Few years ago, I bought a BLR. After replacing the sights with something that worked, I sold it. Beautiful rifle, just wasn't as accurate as I thought it should be.
Maybe I got a dud...who knows.
As for the 39A, dude...I would love to have one. Grew up hunting squirrels and groundhogs with my papaw's.
Last I heard, before Marlin went tits up...the only way you could get a new one was to order through the custom shop. Starting price was 1200+.
And something about them not being sold in TN. Never understood that part. My local gun store also has locations in KY and VA, and said they could get one in from there...and xfer. Guess it's all a moot point now...unless Ruger decides to bring them back.

TNRifleman

My Bergara BMR is really fun to shoot. It shoots about 5 shots under a dime at 50 yards with cheap Norma TAC 22 ammo. I also have it set up to "plink" at distance. I am averaging about 75% hits on a 5" plate at 300 yards with that same cheap ammo. I have the Carbon barrel version but the steel barrel versions is almost identical and is $50-$75 less.
BMR 2.jpg

Tenntrapper

My Bergara BMR is really fun to shoot. It shoots about 5 shots under a dime at 50 yards with cheap Norma TAC 22 ammo. I also have it set up to "plink" at distance. I am averaging about 75% hits on a 5" plate at 300 yards with that same cheap ammo. I have the Carbon barrel version but the steel barrel versions is almost identical and is $50-$75 less.
BMR....is that the 10/22 clone, or the bolt action? I've owned the steel barreled 10/22 clone... wasn't impressed.
I've seen some of your groups with the bolt gun....nice. I briefly looked at one the other day, but got sidetracked and forgot about it... 😂

I need to look at it some more.

TNRifleman

BMR....is that the 10/22 clone, or the bolt action? I've owned the steel barreled 10/22 clone... wasn't impressed.
I've seen some of your groups with the bolt gun....nice. I briefly looked at one the other day, but got sidetracked and forgot about it... 😂

The BMR (Bergara Micro Rimfire) is the bolt action. YOu had the BXR which is the 10/22 clone and I agree that it is not Bergara's best offering. The BMR is a different animal.

Tenntrapper

Its a regular .22 lever action - black with gold lettering on the barrel. Should have wiped the barrel down a bit taking it out of the safe...but you get the idea.

View attachment 214268
Wow, that's purdy. Is that the same as Dave posted above?

Disregard. Yours is a Henry.
Just read where the new Winchester is made in Turkey.

Last edited:

mike243

While I have a Marlin golden 39 I lean more towards semi auto, I had a Winchester 190 with gold trigger and a Monte Carlo stock, loved it and want another at some point, it will shoot shorts longs or long rifle and looks good doing it, 1 of our members offered 1 to me and I wasn't in the position to get it or I would have. As fine of a 22 semi auto as a person could ask for. but you said no semi 🤣 , right now cant hardly hold anything up due to rotator cuff that's going to get fixed shortly. Marlins have been my passion for a lot of years.

bowhunterfanatic

Mark beat me to it. This is the one.

Latest posts