Which slugs do you use?

Chiflyguy

Good thread guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have a 220 that I need to setup, so appreciate the feedback.
I have a few boxes of 20 ga accutip 2 3/4 I'd sell for $17 a box but can't ship.
Live in Illinois
Went to a Muzzleloader last year

Trnr

Not to beat a dead horse here , but add me to the list for accutips. I use them in my 212 and can regularly touch bullet holes at 100. My dad shoots a 220 and swears by the 3" accutips.

I've killed a 250lb black bear and some whitetails with mine. Expansion and retention is near perfect IMO. I seem to have got better blood trails when I used to shoot Super X rifled slugs from my old smooth bore, but now that Ive shot a 212 there is no turning back lol

Attachments

• 16270499968467060338980159256219.jpg
    16270499968467060338980159256219.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 16270500229209213588623003653350.jpg
    16270500229209213588623003653350.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 36

Rakkin6

Having been slug hunting for quite a while and using 2 different guns a Benelli with a rifled barrel and a Savage 212 these are the slugs that have worked well for me out of both guns.

1. Winchester Partition Gold shoot great out of both guns 1 MOA. And they are devastating on deer. Them and the Federal Barnes Expanders (which are no longer produced) are the best slugs I have shot.

2. Federal Trophy Copper very accurate between 1"-1 1/2 MOA. Hit really hard and put them down.

3. Remington Accutips very accurate 1 MOA. Don't hit quite has hard has the others. For deer a lot of times if given the opportunity I go with the high shoulder shot and turn the lights out on them right there.

It seems to me the Savage prefers 3" shells and my SBE2 prefers 2 3/4" shells. But I think out of these three you will find something you like. If your gun likes the Winchester Partition Gold's and you can get 1 1/2 or even 2 MOA out of them buy all you can and you can thank me later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakkin6

For you guys in the know, what is a fair price for a box of five 20 gauge slugs? Or should I ask, what was a common price pre-pandemic/hysteria?
I have the 212 so mine are a little more expensive but pre Wuhan Flu I would say between $15.00 and $20.00 a box is about right. Some might have been a little cheaper. But the Winchester Partition Gold, Remington Accutips and Federal Trophy Copper this was about the going rate.

Quailman

I have the 212 so mine are a little more expensive but pre Wuhan Flu I would say between $15.00 and $20.00 a box is about right. Some might have been a little cheaper. But the Winchester Partition Gold, Remington Accutips and Federal Trophy Copper this was about the going rate.
Agreed. Andy, you should be able to find some for less than $20/box. I saw some advertised on here a while back that were way above normal price, but whatever. I shoot a Savage 220 and love it. Remington Accutips, 2 3/4" are deadly. They have been out of stock in most locations for a while, but keep checking. They are slowly becoming available. I have bought all of mine between $15-$17/box.

dhpro

23/4 in acutips. I've personally shot them accurately out to 150 yards. They stay inside of a snuff can at that distance in my abolt 12 . Your savage will do the same

Wiley

My 220 will not group any 2 3/4" slug. I spent $600 on slugs when I bought the gun a few years ago. I have friends who have the same gun and they shoot 2 3/4" to almost one hole. My gun won't do it. It does shoot 3" Federal/Barnes and 3" Remington/Barnes VERY accurately.

deerfever

You have gotten a ton of good advice on here! I will say this and be done as others have covered about everything that I am sure you needed. I started out shooting the Federal Barnes expander and loved them and the performance on deer . Federal then quit making them and went to the trophy copper. I could take each one when I had some Barnes expanders left never adjust the scope and shoot almost identical at 100 yards out of my 220. That is the reason I stayed with the Federal shell. If you watch Randy Wakeman shoot the Remington Barnes expanders out of his 220 they shoot great( He shoots 3 and 2.75). I would love to get my hands on some of those to try! The reality is you may have to get whatever is available and try them out. The Good news is the 220 seems to shoot several options well.

Last edited:

medwc

You have gotten a ton of good advice on here! I will say this and be done as others have covered about everything that I am sure you needed. I started out shooting the Federal Barnes expander and loved them and the performance on deer . Federal then quit making them and went to the trophy copper. I could take each one when I had some Barnes expanders left never adjust the scope and shoot almost identical at 100 yards out of my 220. That is the reason I stayed with the Federal shell. If you watch Randy Wakeman shoot the Remington Barnes expanders out of his 220 they shoot great( He shoots 3 and 2.75). I would love to get my hands on some of those to try! The reality is you may have to get whatever is available and try them out. The Good news is the 220 seems to shoot several options well.
What he said x2.

My 220 is the same. Remington premier expanders were my go to but sadly I ran out. Now shooting Federal Premium Trophy Copper but they are discontinued too(I think). I have about 20 left. I refuse to use Accutips(price) but may have to some day.

Last edited:

budro2

I recently acquired a savage 220 slug gun. What do you use? Any recommendations?
I bought 3 of them 5 yrs ago and used every load available .
$400 worth of ammo
I had one that would just not pattern well and I sent it back to savage
They sent me a 1 in group with accu tips
Turned out to be my scope
Would hold pattern a while then loose it

the shotgun was designed for the Remington accutip
Don't even waste your money trying others
Of course that's jmo

Headhunter

For me the 220 only liked Remington accutips or federal Barnes expanders. The accutips were more accurate than the expanders.

I am not crazy about the accutip performance on game. But since they were so accurate, I still use them. I just avoid the shoulder bone.
I have killed bunch of deer, about 20 I believe, with the accutips. Through the ribs and the shoulders, from point blank to 180 yards. They always pass through and the deer either drop or only take a couple steps.

Latest posts