What Do You Use In Your Mineral Site

DeerMan66

It's always interesting to see how hunters do things differently and why. What do you use in your mineral sites and why did you make that choice?

backyardtndeer

When I ran a mineral site, I used everything from trophy rocks to loose trace minerals. Picking up deer cain at Walmart on clearance after the season ended had me also using that a lot.

DeerMan66

Does anyone mix in dicalcium phosphate? I have read several articles that goes into the benefits of dicalcium phosphate for pregnant does as well as to help bucks recover after the rut. It is also supposed to benefit antler growth. It all makes since. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if you saw any benefits.

Wildcat#32

I used to use exclusively Trophy Rock. I was VERY happy with it. Now, west of Nashville, I don't use mineral sites at all. Don't want to increase the spread of CWD.
do you still do food plots BSK. i talked to a GW on this very subject in a cwd county and he was against the baiting no salt or anything law!!! said those same deer would be slobbering on the same clover as they would the bait station!! no different!!

Omega

Does anyone mix in dicalcium phosphate? I have read several articles that goes into the benefits of dicalcium phosphate for pregnant does as well as to help bucks recover after the rut. It is also supposed to benefit antler growth. It all makes since. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if you saw any benefits.
When I first began putting salt out I made several batches, this one has that ingredient. It worked ok but I soon started using the large trace mineral blocks from Tractor Supply and used them ever since, without noticing a difference.

Mineral Lick
  • 3 parts trace mineral salt
  • 1 part Hi phosphorus minerals
  • 1 part DiCalcium Phosphate AKA Calcium Monohydrogen
  • 1 part - Dried molasses

BSK

do you still do food plots BSK. i talked to a GW on this very subject in a cwd county and he was against the baiting no salt or anything law!!! said those same deer would be slobbering on the same clover as they would the bait station!! no different!!
We're never going to stop CWD. I question whether we will even slow the spread. But purely for arguments sake, an acre food plot covers 43,560 square feet. A salt lick or pile of corn covers just 2 or 3 square feet. What are the odds a deer is eating off the exact same square foot as another deer in that acre food plot? Maybe 0.01% What are the odds a deer is eating off the same square foot of a salt lick or bait pile? 100%. That's about a 10,000 times higher risk for the deer eating off the bait pile or salt lick. If eating in a food plot is as dangerous as eating off a bait pile, then in comparison, we need to ban all 300-acre soybeans fields, because it's the same risk as a 2-3 square foot bait pile. See where I'm going with this? Honestly, I wouldn't ban anything. Nothing will stop or probably slow CWD. I just personally don't want to do things that absolutely increase the risk.

BSK

I never used salt/mineral licks to "improve deer performance." There is absolutely no research indicating salt/mineral licks do anything for free-ranging deer (although there is some data from penned deer). I used salt to draw deer to cameras for summer censusing. But to improve health? Nope.

rem270

When I started my licks between many years ago I started out with just the standard 50lb white salt block. Used them for lots of years then 7-8 years ago started trying the red trace mineral loose and to me they seem to like it better. Nothing fancy but I have several licks that are eaten 2-3' into the ground and a huge radius around.

DoubleRidge

No offense directed at you Wildcat32 but Im really surprised that a GW would say there is no difference between a bait pile, salt block or a food plot when discussing the spread of CWD....he or she may need to go back to school and take some more classes.
The benefits of food plots outweigh the risk.
Cant say that for baiting....especially if one is baiting in our humid climate with corn.
(Oops...didnt mean to go off topic)

Latest posts