Do You Use a "Modern Sporting Rifle" for Deer?

Do you deer hunt with an AR-style rifle?

• Total voters

cecil30-30

I would suggest to you to actually find out the weight on that ar-10. My cousin had an ar-10 for years. I took him to the mountains and that ar-10 has to weigh 20lbs. It's a 308 with a 10 round magazine. I through it on my shoulder for a few minutes and said you need a new gun. That thing was like carrying a pillow case full of cement. If you don't have to carry it very far it's fine. It's fun to shoot around the house though.
The ruger SFAR is 6.8 lbs.

Sako

I do not hunt with one or even two guns... most weekends I end up hunting with different guns just cause I like guns... so yes so some of them end up being "modern"

6-5-deer.jpg

Dennis

I do not hunt with one or even two guns... most weekends I end up hunting with different guns just cause I like guns... so yes so some of them end up being "modern"

6-5-deer.jpg
Same with me. Variety is the spice of life.

Wooden Arrow

no. only rifle in a deer cartridge (30-30) that i still own is the 336 Centennial model my dad bought for me for Christmas in 1972 or 1973. i haven't hunted with it in several years. may pick up a used side-hammer percussion rifle again though. i miss the one i had...it was a T-C New Englander.

east_tn_gk

I have a 350 Legend I use occasionally for certain stands I know are always going to be 100 yard or closer shots. In general, I have to say I much prefer bolt action rifles for hunting, but I like to mix it up and hunt with different guns throughout the year. The deer really don't seem to mind either way.

RedDawg

no. only rifle in a deer cartridge (30-30) that i still own is the 336 Centennial model my dad bought for me for Christmas in 1972 or 1973. i haven't hunted with it in several years. may pick up a used side-hammer percussion rifle again though. i miss the one i had...it was a T-C New Englander.
My T C New Englander and some of what it did this year. Often use it during regular gun season as well. My farm is pretty tight. Not a lot of shots over 100 yards.

20231113_072549.jpg

Smo

Those old TC guns will kill…..😬

50C2A706-81D9-4452-95DC-5DB85C7703F9.jpeg

ImThere

I don't own one. My buddy is so dead set that I have to have one he is building me one. I just don't like them for hunting. At the same time I don't like a single shot I don't know why but neither of those two guns do anything for me?! lol give me a nice wood stocked bolt gun and I'm pretty happy.

ghostdance56

It's all I have hunted deer with for about 15 years now. They're light weight, rain proof, and length of pull can be adjusted for how thick your clothing layer is. ARs can be found in very effective deer cartridges and calibers can be changed by simply changing uppers.

TheLBLman

They're light weight, rain proof, and length of pull can be adjusted for how thick your clothing layer is. ARs can be found in very effective deer cartridges and calibers can be changed by simply changing uppers.
Actually, this goes a long way in making an AR rifle the "only rifle anyone needs" instead of the false narrative that no one needs.

iowavf

When I sold my Encore ml and got a 450 for deer hunting, I just went with a bolt gun. Would've liked the AR style and shot a friends, just didn't see the need to spend the extra money one.

Latest posts