Youth deer rifle

Ladys man

I'm really wanting to start my son out with the 350 legend in ruger american, as I am interested in using this round too, but his ears are very sensitive, so starting him out on a large caliber that I have never shot kind of scares me.
Has anyone started out a soon to be 8 yr old tried this?
What other rifle/caliber would be a good choice given the demands for factory ammo as I don't reload.

Boone25/06

My 10 year old son shoots a ruger 350 legend. Light recoil on the 150g but can be a little stout with the 170s. I am a big Ruger fan but do not like this rifle very much. The box mag is a pain and not very smooth. I would definitely look into the CVA cascade sb in 350. It is the best feeling small framed 350. Electronic ear muffs are probably your best bet as 350 won't go through a 30cal suppressor and if you don't have one yet I wouldn't step up to a 45 suppressor for the first one.

Remi

If I was looking at a 350 Legend I'd look at the Winchester xpr compact.

Mine is an Axis 2, it shoots good but other than I am not a fan of the rifle. I would recommend ear pro, mine is loud.

Ladys man

My 10 year old son shoots a ruger 350 legend. Light recoil on the 150g but can be a little stout with the 170s. I am a big Ruger fan but do not like this rifle very much. The box mag is a pain and not very smooth. I would definitely look into the CVA cascade sb in 350. It is the best feeling small framed 350. Electronic ear muffs are probably your best bet as 350 won't go through a 30cal suppressor and if you don't have one yet I wouldn't step up to a 45 suppressor for the first one.
Looked at this as well. My 35 whelen in the hunter edition is a shooter.

Boone25/06

Looked at this as well. My 35 whelen in the hunter edition is a shooter.
I haven't shot the SB in 350 but I have shot a 6.5 in it and it was a shooter! It has a nicer feel to it than the Ruger ranch does. That's coming from a guy that has over 45 rugers in my safe. The Ruger Americans are great guns but hard to get past the cheap stocks. I have truck bed coated and painted all mine with high density spray foam inside them. It helps a lot but before I do it to my sons I think I'm going to trade it for the sb cascade.

WORM82

Just got my 8yo a mossberg patriot bantam in 243 and he loves it. He killed his first deer with it 2 days after he got it and I killed a buck with it a week later. Just use ear protection

huntkid

My ten yr old just got a Mossberg patriot bantam in 350 this year an love it is an understatement I'm even in love with the way it shoots an the performance is stellar to me even out 175 yards not the quietest rifle but for sure not the loudest by a long shot

Urban_Hunter

I started both of my kids on a 6.8spc AR. We use electronic hearing protection and an adjustable stock. It works great. .223/5.56 is fine too; just use premium bullets to get good penetration.
Only do this if you want the greatest kid hunting platform ever. 6.8spc 😎

IMG_4359.jpeg
IMG_4359.jpeg

Latest posts