Do You Use a "Modern Sporting Rifle" for Deer?

Do you deer hunt with an AR-style rifle?

• Total voters

Wooden Arrow

When I sold my Encore ml and got a 450 for deer hunting, I just went with a bolt gun. Would've liked the AR style and shot a friends, just didn't see the need to spend the extra money one.
i used to want one, when it was possible to build one for less than buying one. the "battle-rattle" viet nam relic M-16s we qualified with in basic training showed me just how accurate one could be at 100 yds with open sights. recoil was non-existent too.

mike243

I have very few weapons I don't like, have loved shooting the AR but not as much as the fully auto M16, have shot 50cal and loved it but at $5 or more a shot I won't pay the price.

Dennis

Found this pic from 2014. This was my first kill with a 450 Bushmaster

1706751153159.jpeg

Dennis

i'm not familiar with the .450 round at all. is it a straight-wall cartridge, like a shortened 45-70, or ? i used to have a Ruger #3 in 45-70. nice deer!
Thanks. The 450 Bushmaster is straight walled and uses a .452 caliber bullet. The 45-70 uses .458 caliber bullets. The bushmaster case is a little shorter than the 45-70 also.

ThorThor

Same as above 450 bushmaster. Got the upper about 10 years ago. Also great for kids they can use the 223/556 for cheap practice and familiarization then switch uppers to the 450 for hunting. Basically a semi auto 45/70, being gas the recoil is not bad at all. It is very accurate for what it is.

Bone Collector

I put yes, only because when my son did deer hunt early on in his life, he was afraid of the recoil of the rifle. I allowed him to use my AR 15 due to the low recoil. He shot and killed a spike with it and missed a small 10 point, but then he quit hunting. I personally do not use that AR 15 for hunting. However, if I had an AR 10 I would.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
No, more like ancient sporting rifles. My go to's a are a Mauser 30-06 and a Marlin 35 rem. I had an AR10, was way too heavy for hunting in my opinion. I do have an AR set with scope and bipod for varmints.

FLTENNHUNTER1

DPMS Panther LR-308 AP4 with EOTech fed with 20 rounds of Remington 150 grain CoreLokt's. Deer (and other) killing machine. If it bleeds, I can kill it.

Carlos

No, more like ancient sporting rifles. My go to's an are a Mauser 30-06 and a Marlin 35 rem. I had an AR10, was way too heavy for hunting in my opinion. I do have an AR set with scope and bipod for varmints.
I know what you mean.
The AR10 I had was the heaviest one of my safe. Also, it seemed like cleaning after hunting in the rain, or carrying thru the woods would be a major pain, compared to simple rifles.

00bucshot

Well, I thought I would give my 223 AR a chance during this year's antlerless only season. I had a chance at a nice doe at around 50 yds. Double lunged her and the bullet broke the front leg on exit. She spun around and dropped within 20 yds.
The bullet was a 64 gr Federal Fusion. I realize shot placement is critical with any shot, but extry critical with a 223. I might hunt with it again, IDK.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Don't own one. Doubt I ever will.
I have owned 3 and sold them all.
One I never fired.
I'm just a bolt action guy.
For filthy disgusting animal control, I probably need one.
My theory is when the .300 win mag turns ones head into pink mist the rest will scatter like the rats they are.

infoman jr.

A lot of ignorance in this thread. That's a shame. I just finished my 30th season of deer hunting. I've carried all kinds of guns, mostly bolt actions and a bow, but I started carrying this .308 AR about 10 years ago. I'd like to share some of my experience and why I prefer an AR for deer hunting.

Here are some things I like about it:
I like that it has a vertical pistol grip. It's a much more natural wrist angle for me when my elbow is resting on something below my shoulder.
I like that I can sling it across my chest so it doesn't fall off of my shoulder, but I can still raise it to shoot very quickly if I need. Slinging the gun this way makes it easier to walk around with my climbing stand on my back - I was never able to carry my bolt guns on my shoulder without the gun/scope banging around on the stand.
Mine has a folding stock and a removeable suppressor making it more portable from a physical size perspective. This one is a bit on the heavy side, though you can build them down in the 7 lb range.
With its Geissele trigger and Bartlein barrel, it's one of the most accurate rifles I own.
The suppressor has spoiled me - so much so that I haven't deer hunted with a non-suppressed centerfire rifle in probably 7 years.
I'm not afraid to get it wet, muddy, or bloody. I can simply hose it down with brake cleaner and re-lube. I love nice wood on guns, but I save that for the dove field and clays range.
I spent 3 years of my professional life helping to design it, so I have a lot of pride in carrying it.

The bad:
The aluminum handguard gets cold. Very cold. A couple of years ago I lost a lot of feeling in a few fingertips for months because I had my scope on a buck for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I would shoot him, and my fingerless gloves left my skin exposed to the aluminum. Most years since, I've wrapped the handguard in that self-adhesive camo wrap you can find at Academy, and that's helped a ton. I forgot to reapply it this year.
The B5 Sopmod stock I have on mine pulls out my beard. I should replace that. The stock, not the beard.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, but I wanted to add a little context to the thread. I'm not saying that these positive attributes are exclusive to the AR platform. Bolt action rifles have a ton of nice features, and it my 700Ti had a threaded muzzle, I'd be more apt to carry it.

622652_852317362538_1599380845_o.jpg

w9OCKQo.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos

Two pins, to separate the upper and lower. Then pull the bolt carrier group. Not really much to it.
I was considering all the knock and crannies in the hand guard, etc. There's plenty of what seem like hard to dry/clean areas IMO.

Dennis

The bad:
The aluminum handguard gets cold. Very cold. A couple of years ago I lost a lot of feeling in a few fingertips for months because I had my scope on a buck for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I would shoot him, and my fingerless gloves left my skin exposed to the aluminum.

You could add a vertical foregrip like this:

If you get one with a storage compartment, you can stuff one of those small hot hands packets in it.

infoman jr.

You could add a vertical foregrip like this:

If you get one with a storage compartment, you can stuff one of those small hot hands packets in it.
The gun used to have a Magpul MIAD rear grip which had a storage compartment. I used hothands in it a few times. Unfortunately, my handguard isn't MLOK compatible, and I don't think a VFG would be suitable for my application. Good thought though.

Latest posts