Deer Hunting: How Do You Do It

How do you spend the majority of your time hunting deer over the course of the season?

• Shooting House

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Fixed Tree Stand

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • Portable Tree Stand

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Stay on the ground

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Swingset/Porch or other

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Groundblind

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ski

Can't rob Peter to pay Paul. There simply isn't an easy way to legally kill mature bucks. Whether you're run-n-gunning public or sitting in a shooting house over a manicured plot, if you consistently get a big buck in front of you it's because you've put in the work. Maybe even more so than the work, you've consistently been thoughtful, strategic, and made good decisions. Randomly killing a big buck can happen by accident to anybody. Killing them consistently is not an accident, and there's no easy button for it.

Chiflyguy

I got 3 ladder stands and a ground blind.
1 ladder stand is on my neighbors property for when I just want to walk 5 minutes and hunt. I can see the roof of my house from there.
2 ladder stands and a ground blind are at my buddies 200 acres.
Ones on a mountainside looking towards a pond to my left and hayfield to my right.
Ground blind is where two fields meet. I saw deer 90% of the trips out last year.
My last ladder stand is a new one I got. That I have to figure out location.

TNTreeman

I have ladder stands , climbers, ground blinds, and this year an awesome shooting house I'll share with my wife in bad weather. I also use my climbing gear occasionally from my job and hang from a tree. I like to mix it up depending on the time of year , wind, and deer behavior. I love to be up in a tree more than anything , even in cold weather.

megalomaniac

25% ladder stand
25% bed of my truck or gator sxs
50% shoot house

I quit climbing trees about 5 or 6yrs ago. Just no longer worth the fall risk as I age, and I kill way more good bucks from the bed of my truck than I ever did from a tree. Plus I like to drink my coffee and socialize with whomever is in the shoothouse or truck bed with me.

Chickenrig

I hunt elevated shooting house because i am to messed up to hunt out of a tree any more. I still have my climbers,sticks,ladder stands and every other way to get up but i just can't do it no more . I slowly walk down back and climb up into the house and watch over my food plots while sitting in a comfy chair . I hurt from years of hard work and this is how i must do it to stay in the game . My head still wants to be a mobile hunter but the body says other wise.

tellico4x4

Lock on has always been my preference as easy to hide in the limbs & just about silent to get into. However at 69, I only have two that I occasionally hunt. Have safety lines on both & only hunt them when someone else is at camp. Quit using climbers years ago as too much sweat & noise for me. Rest of time is split between ladder stands & shooting houses. Have slowed down some but still hunt 75 days each year.

kaizen leader

I hunt elevated shooting house because i am to messed up to hunt out of a tree any more. I still have my climbers,sticks,ladder stands and every other way to get up but i just can't do it no more . I slowly walk down back and climb up into the house and watch over my food plots while sitting in a comfy chair . I hurt from years of hard work and this is how i must do it to stay in the game . My head still wants to be a mobile hunter but the body says other wise.
Good luck to you. Sounds like you had a hard life. Enjoy your shooting house. 👍🦌

kaizen leader

I use my Winner ground blind more than anything. It's mobile, comfortable, stealthy, and dry. It all depends on where I go. I have a public I use my climber. Another public I use my ground blind. A private land I just put up a ladder stand. I like them all. I've killed a bunch of deer out of a ladder stand but lost the lease. I no good at still hunting. It all depends on where I go, wind direction, and weather. I'll do what ever. I like to be out there.
I could take my golf cart and shoot one in my subdivision. That's a good option. Someone needs to kill these deer. I saw 9 deer driving 1/2 mile. When I was counting deer driving out my neighbor said there were 10 behind my house. One buck had a bird feeder stuck on his antlers. I'll have to kill some of these. Way to many.

MidTennFisher

I love using a climber but sometimes finding a suitable climbing tree is tough. Sometimes it's still too warm to want to haul that stupid thing on my back so I hunt from the ground. Not that I can't do it, it's just the amount I'll sweat and stink from the hike. I don't need to make it any easier to be sniffed out.

Kmushrooman

I hunt mostly from the ground on public land. Then sometimes I hunt in a ladder stand on my small property. Public land is always bow hunting. Usually 2-3 deer end up in the freezer every year. Mostly a meat hunter but manage to get a lot of Big bucks anyway.

Latest posts