Do You Use a "Modern Sporting Rifle" for Deer?

Do you deer hunt with an AR-style rifle?

• Total voters

Wooden Arrow

i want one of those Civil War era "assault" rifles like pictured with the young man in Infoman Jrs post above...:cool: it would "look right" in the rack with my recurves, longbows, and BBO flatbow...:D

BigCityBubba

I hunted with an sks many years ago. Does that count? I have 2 ar's in 556 and never considered hunting with either because they are not setup for hunting. I have considered an AR10 for pig hunting but where I hunt, follow up shots are rare. I have never had a quick followup shot on a deer where a semi auto would have come in handy.

Stalkhunter

Yes but not all the time, I enjoy rotating my weapons each season. Actually this season coming up I will be using it. I will also be using my other military style M1A this season.

backyardtndeer

About the only downside I come up with is that I often don't find my brass, but that's going to happen with any semi auto. Weight really isn't an issue hunting my small farm. Most my stands are less than a half mile walk. I walk a lot though, and a good sling makes what little extra weight not any more noticable than toting a bolt gun.

Far as cold handguards, I am usually wearing gloves when it's cold enough to worry about frostbite. I usually have a rest too though, so my freehand isn't having to be used to support the rail.

Latest posts