What do you use to disc food plot?

BSK

Yeah that high ground is tough. Pretty amazing that you can even have a food plot in something like that.
The only really productive plots are the ones in which I did years and years of throw-and-mow. All those years of mowing tall grasses and weeds down onto the ground built up a little soil. They now turn very easily. It is the newly bulldozed plots that are a nightmare. Although even those will turn if we've just had a rain. But let them sit for a couple weeks in the baking heat of the summer with no rain and they are concrete hard.

Stick & String

Thanks for your help guys. It really helped and is very much appreciated! Today I ordered à Titan 4-foot ATV Harrow Discer. One of the things I liked labout it is it has a rack above the discs where you can weight. Should work pretty well. Thanks again.

4scout

If it's not to rough or rocky, you could mow it with a lawnmower and then pull an aerator around several times until the ground has a lot of holes. I have a core type aerator that I pull behind my atv that works great, never tried the spike aerator but would like to someday. You can then spread your seed, I use my atv seed spreader. I pull an atv drag to cover the seeds, especially if it's larger seeds such as corn or milo. You could use a chainlink fence gate or similar for a drag if necessary. I'll also spray with roundup with my atv sprayer after dragging. Works well for me. If you can get seed to soil contact, it will start to grow. The wildlife eating it before it matures or a drought is another whole issue..

Ladys man

Could you spray tenacity down after seeding? I use it in my grass after seeding to prevent weeds from germinating but not sure how it would work for crops. Also may be expensive for large areas.

rifle02

I have a small area (0.35 acres) that I would like to plant à food plot. What type of equipment do you use to disc the field'? I have a UTV but no tractor.
I use a disc made by Black Boar implements. I bought an extra tray to hold concrete blocks to add weight to it. I learned the hard way that you must add weight to the disc and not depend on the weight of your UTV to press the discs into hard ground. The black boar disc is up and down adjustable with something like a screw Jack. Start shallow gradually deepening it. When I put it down beyond the range of the jack to support the weight of the UTV on the disc I damaged the frame of my Polaris Ranger. I actually bent the 2-in receiver. My thoughts about the groundhog Max are that it would probably be the same because it depends on the weight of your machine pushing it down into hard ground.

Bgoodman30

A drag harrow, with teeth down, can definitely tear up some ground. It won't turn the ground, but it will definitely expose soil.

Yeah I have tried this it works OK but if you have thatch it becomes a pain.

Bgoodman30

Whatever you do don't buy a Groundhog max! I spent more money than the disc repairing my frame and hitch on my 800 SXS...

I am looking at a Tarter or Micro food plot pull behind disc with cultivator now. I have a Kolpin I think? One that lowers and raises on my hitch. It works OK but I am looking for something more heavy duty to prepare dove fields as well.

xatxay

My current issue is plots with 50% clover from prior years, weeds & dead wheat/ oats. I Sprayed with Clemodith (sp). I want to re-seed with more clover & wheat. Won't dragging with a chain harrow tear up the existing clover?

BSK

My current issue is plots with 50% clover from prior years, weeds & dead wheat/ oats. I Sprayed with Clemodith (sp). I want to re-seed with more clover & wheat. Won't dragging with a chain harrow tear up the existing clover?
I will pull up some of it, but not all of it. But I definitely wouldn't chain harrow perennial clover.

Latest posts