What Do You Use In Your Mineral Site

Redmond 10 50lb bag.

I get mine at Co-Op in Lebanon.

I use it because I have had great results and it's cheaper than Trophy Rock.

TheLBLman

I just personally don't want to do things that absolutely increase the risk.
Then I would put out more salt licks.
Deer are going to seek it out during the summer months.
The more licks around the area, the more spread out they will be.

The fewer salt licks, the more concentrated the deer at what they can find.
Honestly, I wouldn't ban anything. Nothing will stop or probably slow CWD.
Agree, nothing will stop or probably slow CWD.
That's why I'm putting out more salt licks.

tn24

tm.jpg

Ski

I never used salt/mineral licks to "improve deer performance." There is absolutely no research indicating salt/mineral licks do anything for free-ranging deer (although there is some data from penned deer). I used salt to draw deer to cameras for summer censusing. But to improve health? Nope.

While I do not dispute that there have been no obvious links found between wild deer performance and mineral supplements, I cannot ignore the undeniable use a mineral site gets while a doe is pregnant/nursing or a buck is growing antlers. Perhaps the difference is immeasurable on our scale or possibly there's a metric we are not currently considering. I don't know. But something is happening in a deer's body while it's in a state of accelerated growth that makes it crave minerals. If they were getting all they could use naturally then they wouldn't be fighting over a mineral lick. I've seen does turn Mike Tyson on other deer to keep them away. I don't see that kind of territorial aggression often or in many other situations but it's common at mineral sites. To my layman mind that means they are getting some kind of benefit to their growth needs even if science hasn't yet detailed it. Heck, it could be something as simple as alleviating a tummy ache due to eating poison ivy. Who knows? Regardless, it's apparent something is going on.

I once saw a documentary on south American parrots eating mud and the proposed hypotheses were quite interesting and potentially parallel what could be going on with deer. One notion was that the clay/mud helped balance out the overly acidic and toxic plants the birds were eating. Another was that it supplemented their diet with minerals. Here's a quick read article about it. The similarity between how the birds use clay outcrops and deer use mineral sites is uncanny. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/09/07/547981850/why-do-parrots-and-people-eat-clay

BSK

While I do not dispute that there have been no obvious links found between wild deer performance and mineral supplements, I cannot ignore the undeniable use a mineral site gets while a doe is pregnant/nursing or a buck is growing antlers. Perhaps the difference is immeasurable on our scale or possibly there's a metric we are not currently considering. I don't know. But something is happening in a deer's body while it's in a state of accelerated growth that makes it crave minerals. If they were getting all they could use naturally then they wouldn't be fighting over a mineral lick. I've seen does turn Mike Tyson on other deer to keep them away. I don't see that kind of territorial aggression often or in many other situations but it's common at mineral sites. To my layman mind that means they are getting some kind of benefit to their growth needs even if science hasn't yet detailed it. Heck, it could be something as simple as alleviating a tummy ache due to eating poison ivy. Who knows? Regardless, it's apparent something is going on.

I once saw a documentary on south American parrots eating mud and the proposed hypotheses were quite interesting and potentially parallel what could be going on with deer. One notion was that the clay/mud helped balance out the overly acidic and toxic plants the birds were eating. Another was that it supplemented their diet with minerals. Here's a quick read article about it. The similarity between how the birds use clay outcrops and deer use mineral sites is uncanny. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/09/07/547981850/why-do-parrots-and-people-eat-clay

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it has no benefit. I'm saying the benefit is low enough that it cannot be measured in free-ranging deer. But I absolutely believe it is useful to deer. Otherwise, they wouldn't focus on it so heavily in the summer months. Deer have an amazing ability to consume what their bodies need at the time. As you mentioned, lactation in does and then mineralization of bucks' antlers in late summer see peaks in salt usage by each sex, respectively. But scientifically, if you look at what has been shown to strongly benefit deer - such as habitat and population management - I try to focus my efforts on what I know will produce the most results.

BSK

Although off topic, let me just say that, in my opinion, the Top 3 reasons for the spread of CWD have been:

1) Deer farming - keeping deer at high densities in enclosures, and the sale and transport of deer between farms is easily the number #1 cause of the spread of CWD around the country.

2) Transport of live deer by hunters - One of the dark secrets of deer management is how often hunters/land-owners have illegally purchased and released deer onto their properties from deer farms for the purpose of "improving genetics." This has been far more widespread of a practice than most realize, especially about 10-15 years ago. I know it took place at a much higher rate than most hunters would believe. It's just Human Nature to look for the "easy answer" to any problem, even though genetics was never the problem (but the answer is too complicated, hence people jump for the easy one instead).

3) Natural deer behavior - This one is critical, and the reason we will never stop the spread of CWD. It is believed CWD spreads across local populations by infection through bodily fluids, especially saliva and urine. And how do deer communicate in the natural environment? Through saliva and urine. Deer communicate all year round through licking branches. Every deer that passes by a licking branch will mouth and lick it. How do deer communicate during the breeding season? Through urine. Every deer that passes by a communal scrape will sniff and taste the urine-soaked dirt in a scrape. When natural behavior is the primary means a disease spreads, stopping that disease is nearly impossible.

tellico4x4

For nearly 20 years we maintained 40 mineral sites on 3500 acres and bought trace mineral blocks a pallet at a time. The ONLY reason that I quit is that Wayne is a high risk unit and it is ILLEGAL to do so. @TheLBLman may be onto something regarding putting out more licks to disperse use over a broader area. It's been 3 years since we have put out any minerals but have 8-10 of the old sites that are getting absolutely hammered. I bet use is 3x more at those sites now than we had before stopping. For whatever reason the soil at those spots must retain the salt better than others.

BSK

For whatever reason the soil at those spots must retain the salt better than others.
Don't know exactly what it was, but back when I made a lot of salt licks, I would seek out any location with exposed red clay. For whatever reason, red clay salt licks saw the most usage over time. Perhaps it is the high iron content of red clay.

do you still do food plots BSK. i talked to a GW on this very subject in a cwd county and he was against the baiting no salt or anything law!!! said those same deer would be slobbering on the same clover as they would the bait station!! no different!!
I respectfully disagree with his assessment. It is purely statistically way different.

Davyalabama

When I first began putting salt out I made several batches, this one has that ingredient. It worked ok but I soon started using the large trace mineral blocks from Tractor Supply and used them ever since, without noticing a difference.

Mineral Lick
  • 3 parts trace mineral salt
  • 1 part Hi phosphorus minerals
  • 1 part DiCalcium Phosphate AKA Calcium Monohydrogen
  • 1 part - Dried molasses
Very close to what I use.
2 parts trace mineral salt
2 parts Dical
1 part Livestock feed with a high protein content
1 part dried molasses

To Whom It May Concern, we have a lot hogs on our property, they will walk off with salt blocks unless you get them up on 2x4 or 2x6's and drive the posts into the ground a long way. Second, just using Dical without something to cut the taste other than salt has not yielded the results I've wanted in the past. Third, deer need more than just salt to help them grow bigger and stronger antlers. Fourth, see number three and that is why I add the protein.

This year, I was hoping to find an even higher amount of protein, but I just couldn't afford to add even more money to this hobby.

No, I cannot keep the hogs totally out of my lick sights, but at least they don't carry the blocks off with them.

Ms. State and Georgia both have some interesting reads on this topic. If you suffer from ADD, skim over them. If you suffer from OCD, please contact me and let me know what I missed by skimming over the articles. I may need to adjust my recipe.

Coop87

Trace minerals from Tractor Supply is a much more affordable option than products targeted towards hunting. I have one site along a pinch point that has been hit so hard it is now a water hole. The other benefit is it creates a common area for deer to leave scent and makes for entertaining sits during the rut. Something I may do different this year is mix in a container of KoolAid.

huvrman

Does anyone mix in dicalcium phosphate? I have read several articles that goes into the benefits of dicalcium phosphate for pregnant does as well as to help bucks recover after the rut. It is also supposed to benefit antler growth. It all makes since. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if you saw any benefits.
50 lbs dical phosphate, 100 lbs trace minerals, 50 lbs stock salt. Works like a champ. Does and bucks all over it. Makes enough to keep my 3 licks going spring to fall.

huvrman

Does anyone mix in dicalcium phosphate? I have read several articles that goes into the benefits of dicalcium phosphate for pregnant does as well as to help bucks recover after the rut. It is also supposed to benefit antler growth. It all makes since. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if you saw any benefits.
50 lbs dical phosphate, 100 lbs trace minerals, 50 lbs stock salt. Works like a champ. Does and bucks all over it. Makes enough to keep my 3 licks going spring to fall.

DeerMan66

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with a recipe of 50lbs dical phosphate, 50 lbs trace minerals and 50 lbs stock salt. I mixed it up in a wheelbarrel. It made four 5 gallon buckets full. I made 4 mineral sites close to trails and or bedding areas. I have cameras on all 4 and am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

BSK

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with a recipe of 50lbs dical phosphate, 50 lbs trace minerals and 50 lbs stock salt. I mixed it up in a wheelbarrel. It made four 5 gallon buckets full. I made 4 mineral sites close to trails and or bedding areas. I have cameras on all 4 and am looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Just don't be disappointed if you don't get immediate results. Some licks take months for deer to start using them regularly.

SJS

Just don't be disappointed if you don't get immediate results. Some licks take months for deer to start using them regularly.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I see out of our mineral sites in Houston Co. is does us ours year-round. Once the rut starts, we have shot some of our largest bucks not coming into the sites, but cruising by checking for does. As BSK mentioned, we have had the same mineral sites for years and the longer they are there the more the deer use them especially if they are in heavy cover. They become community sites so to speak.

BSK

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I see out of our mineral sites in Houston Co. is does us ours year-round. Once the rut starts, we have shot some of our largest bucks not coming into the sites, but cruising by checking for does. As BSK mentioned, we have had the same mineral sites for years and the longer they are there the more the deer use them especially if they are in heavy cover. They become community sites so to speak.
Excellent points.

Latest posts