how do most deer die?

DaveTN

Do a search on "How Deer die" and you will see a lot of stories and articles from those that claim to be in the know. Common sense tells me this….they can't know. Especially if the deer died of old age. If it drops over dead, chances are it won't just lay there; it will be eaten and go in the eaten by predator category. Shot by hunters and hit by cars are probably more realistic numbers. Although we know there are hunters that don't log their kills, and since half the population that drives doesn't have a valid drivers licenses, I suspect a lot of impacts with cars aren't reported.

dsa5455

since half the population that drives doesn't have a valid drivers licenses, I suspect a lot of impacts with cars aren't reported.
Wondered this myself, saw a Titan truck hit a deer in Mt Juliet a couple of years ago. Going about 40 mph on Division St. Never even slowed down to check damages.

BSK

I think it's a misunderstanding that any wild animal dies of "old age." Yes, they can get old, and weak, but they die of something else because of that weakness. They die of infections, predators, or illnesses. They can also literally die of stress. For example, in my area, it is VERY rare for bucks to live to 6 years of age and almost unheard for them to live to 7. What kills them? Rut stress and all that goes along with that. In a weakened condition at the end of the rut they fall to predators, illness, organ failure, and the lingering effect of injuries sustained during the rut. Almost none are killed by hunters/poachers or cars. I'ver also seen situations in great, flat habitat where bucks live to advanced ages, such as 8 and 9 years old. The high-value habitat allows them to recover from rut stress much quicker than hill-country hardwoods bucks.

Does in the area, not experiencing the same kind of rut stress as males, live long lives. I've seen them in the 12-15-year age range. How do they finally die? Illness, disease, injuries during fawn birthing, etc. A few get hit by cars.

But overall, as a general rule, the highest mortality of adult deer is by hunters/poachers bullets and arrows. And in some areas, vehicle collisions are a major contributor. I've seen suburban deer populations that are being completely held in check by car-deer collision mortality. Now if you bring in all age deer, including fawns, then the primary mortality changes. More fawns born alive die withing their first few months of life than survive. And they die of predation, low birth weight, malnutrition (mother can't produce enough milk), and abandonment.

Andy S.

On serious note, west TN's historical top deer kill counties (Fayette and Hardeman) are at or near a 40 year low for annual deer kill. 2006 time frame, each county was killing approximately 5-6k deer per season. Both counties killed around 2,500 deer this season, with the most liberal regulations ever. You have to go back to the 1980s to see annual kill of 2,500 for those counties.

backyardtndeer

On serious note, west TN's historical top deer kill counties (Fayette and Hardeman) are at or near a 40 year low for annual deer kill. 2006 time frame, each county was killing approximately 5-6k deer per season. Both counties killed around 2,500 deer this season, with the most liberal regulations ever. You have to go back to the 1980s to see annual kill of 2,500 for those counties.
Less deer, and probably less people hunting. Would guess cwd regulations played a role in that.

The original post was asking about deer kills that were not from vehicle collisions or hunters. I still believe parasites are likely the single biggest killer outside those. Have to remember that midges that cause ehd die offs can be pretty substantial, and that is but one of the many parasites that deer are hit by.

Ridgeline300

Everyone is scared to death to kill them and eat them I reckon. Other states have dealt with this for a long time and as far as I know the hunters that kill and eat deer in those states are doing just fine and the deer themselves seem to be doing well also.

BSK

Accurate stats. However, other areas are seeing the same thing. Hickman County is a prime example. In 1987 hunters killed 5,048 deer, including 2,760 bucks. This year, 1,731 deer, of which 943 were bucks. That's a 66% decline in deer and buck harvests.

knightrider

Accurate stats. However, other areas are seeing the same thing. Hickman County is a prime example. In 1987 hunters killed 5,048 deer, including 2,760 bucks. This year, 1,731 deer, of which 943 were bucks. That's a 66% decline in deer and buck harvests.
In 1987 there was thousands of acres of public land and thousands of east tn hunters killing every buck with an antler

mike243

Why does E Tn folks get blamed for everything, I know it had to have been folks from Ky that killed all those deer heck they only have a 1 buck limit 🤣 , next thing ya know we will be responsible for the deer decline in Wi lmao

knightrider

Why does E Tn folks get blamed for everything, I know it had to have been folks from Ky that killed all those deer heck they only have a 1 buck limit 🤣 , next thing ya know we will be responsible for the deer decline in Wi lmao
Only because i know i was one of them😂 we used to load up 3-4 truckloads of guys and go hunt champion land for two weeks and slaughter everything we had a tag for😂

Latest posts