Deer Hunting: How Do You Do It

How do you spend the majority of your time hunting deer over the course of the season?

• Shooting House

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Fixed Tree Stand

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • Portable Tree Stand

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Stay on the ground

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Swingset/Porch or other

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Groundblind

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

batten_down

A couple different threads had me wondering how you guys spend your time in the woods deer hunting. I'm a public land hunter, I've never once sat in a shooting house over looking a manicured food plot. And out walks a deer you have three years worth of pics. I don't know that feeling. With public land, I'm normally in my climber. I'd say over the course of the season, I'm about 80% in one of my summits, or I just stay on the ground and use terrain to my advantage. Or try to.

How about you guys? You have a couple different styles, or stick to the same type setups?

Madbowh

Most times I'm in my climber if not I'm still hunting/scouting/ ground shooting.

I just love the climbers they're easy, comfortable, portable been using one for 20 years.

Now elk hunting in always on the ground

Dennis

Last year, with the exception of swingset/porch, all of the above,

My preference is hiding in a deadfall. But I'll get up in the air if my visibility is too restricted by sitting in the ground. On public land I stay on the ground.

Omega

The past 15 years or so it has been one elevated shoot house or another, but I started out in CO, where you have to just walk around looking for them, then it was a lock-on for a bit when I was stationed at Ft Bragg. When I broke my ankle on a jump in GA, I switched to a climber, but after getting here and hunting Campbell for a few, I bought land and went with shooting houses.

Spurhunter

I've never once sat in a shooting house over looking a manicured food plot. And out walks a deer you have three years worth of pics. I don't know that feeling.
I don't know that feeling and I do hunt over food plots some. These guys that catalog their deer and age them and see them year after year is all foreign to me. I've had my lease 6 or 7 years now and I don't think I've ever had a buck on camera 2 years in a row that I knew was the same deer.

Ski

Pretty much all the above for me. I chose fixed hang on because that's probably where I hunt mostly, but it's very close to ground hunting and mobile hang on & climber hunting. I sit in a ground level shooting house sometimes, but there's no plot in front of it. I plant plots every year but almost never hunt them. Hunting a plot kills it and defeats the purpose in my experience, so I don't hunt them. If I had a playset to hunt from I would. I'm all inclusive. Hunting is hunting and i'll do whatever gives best odds be it bow, gun, stand, ground, etc.

deerhunter10

Ladder or hang on 98 percent of the time. Shooting house, climber, have a quick set up hang on setup or ground other 2 percent. I wish killing them was as easy as you make it sound.. you along with others have repeatedly said that other people not to be named put in a ton of work, so do all those people with shooting houses and foodplots, or however they hunt Just because it's different work doesn't mean it's not work. That's not to mention working your ass of to afford land.

batten_down

Ladder or hang on 98 percent of the time. Shooting house, climber, have a quick set up hang on setup or ground other 2 percent. I wish killing them was as easy as you make it sound.. you along with others have repeatedly said that other people not to be named put in a ton of work, so do all those people with shooting houses and foodplots, or however they hunt Just because it's different work doesn't mean it's not work. That's not to mention working your ass of to afford land.
I think you have me mistaken. I'm not knocking any styles of hunting. I'm for more freedoms. More opportunities.

The goal is to have my own land with a shooting house one day. And food plots and cameras. I love that stuff. Just not where I'm at right now. I acknowledge and appreciate the work that goes into being a responsible steward of the land.

Latest posts