Twra turkey population study.

Buzzard Breath

I'm not jumping to conclusions. I stand by the fact that if they aren't trying to figure out why poults aren't surviving at an alarming rate, the study is useless! If they're just doing the study to see if the turkey population is declining, it's a waste! There's multiple reports of the population declining!!!
You may want to read the turkey study to see what it's about.

"More severe population declines have been observed in other areas of the state, particularly in south-central Tennessee, causing local residents, hunters and managers concern that additional population-level factors are impacting these populations (Buehler et al. 2016). In response, TWRA, the University of Tennessee and the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) partnered on a six-year research project to determine what factors are driving turkey population fluctuation in southern middle Tennessee and develop strategies to address issues that are identified" - Page 2 in the "Current Status" title

Carlos

I imagine there's not much of a way to determine whether the bird died of natural causes, or if it was taken by a predator.
Unless their tracking is advanced enough to show history, that way it could be studied, and confirmed by movement.

deerfever

I am glad they are doing the study to see exactly what happened in certain areas of TN. I hope this study not only helps TN but other states to make and base decisions off of the research being done. It's strange as I see turkeys now in places I never dreamed but others watched their population drop. I will be anxious to see what all is learned from this when it wraps up and is over.

Carlos

I am glad they are doing the study to see exactly what happened in certain areas of TN. I hope this study not only helps TN but other states to make and base decisions off of the research being done. It's strange as I see turkeys now in places I never dreamed but others watched their population drop. I will be anxious to see what all is learned from this when it wraps up and is over.

As everyone can see by the replies, there's plenty of theories on the subject. From predation, to atofloxin, habitat loss, diseases from poultry manure used for fertilizer, even over-harvest, and season setting.
(Nobody mentioned TSS or poor sportsman who attempt those 50 yards shots, yet.)

With so many variables, I agree, we'll all be thrilled to find out what's going on.

deerhunter10

I heard a podcast the other day with the drurys and a biologist. And the biologists are doing studies about corn and soybean seed from Monsanto. Something about the insecticide coating on the seeds. He said they have studied song birds and they have died from it but the turkey study is new and most likely won't have any good data for several years. Haven't heard that theory or anyone talking about it seemed interesting. Glad they are doing studies but I just hope it's not to little to late we have it good for so long and it's hard to play catch up imo.

Bone Collector

Coyotes have actually completely changed their behavior on my farms since the early 90s...

Back then, a coyote would come out into a field with turkeys, the birds and the coyote would ignore each other. Coyotes just didn't view turkeys as a food source. Fast forward 20 years, and it became the norm to call up 5 or 6 Coyotes coming to my calls actively hunting the source of the call. Turkeys now scatter when they see a coyote. I find a kill site or two each year.

As far as the coons, to me it seems their population has exploded as well. At least they Coyotes eat them too.
I too have called up coyotes but usually they are within 75-80 yds when they realize there is no bird. Otherwise I would waste a shell on there sorry butts.

I believe the coon population has exploded as well and that it is a direct result of corn being put out.

Armadillos are also new and I am pretty sure they are nest raiders.

couple all that with land development and new and improved, turkey hunting accessories and guns/ammo and you have a recipe for disaster.

catman529

I too have called up coyotes but usually they are within 75-80 yds when they realize there is no bird. Otherwise I would waste a shell on there sorry butts.

I believe the coon population has exploded as well and that it is a direct result of corn being put out.

Armadillos are also new and I am pretty sure they are nest raiders.

couple all that with land development and new and improved, turkey hunting accessories and guns/ammo and you have a recipe for disaster.
Most coyotes aren't good at killing turkeys, you may have a certain coyote or two that get good at it and then you have a localized problem, but rodents and fruit and carrion make up most of a coyotes diet.

Raccoons for sure should be kept in check, but some of the most turkey infested places I've hunted are also infested with coons, so that's not always the answer either.

I have yet to see proof of an armadillo raiding a turkey nest. They root in the ground eating bugs, and only one time I have seen one eating persimmons. They have a long snout and no front teeth. Imagine a pissed off hen vs a giant pill bug, armadillos aren't too bright.

Land development for sure hurts turkeys in localized areas, especially around where I live. But some of the bigger declines you hear about aren't around the suburbs, it's out in rural counties where seemingly nothing changed but the local turkey population just took a dive for no apparent reason. That's the stuff we have to try to figure out, and that's why there are ongoing studies trying to learn more about this weird bird we all love so much. Everyone's got their own ideas and theories, but there is no straight answer. Hopefully down the road there will be more answers thanks to these studies.

megalomaniac

It could also be the weather. Tn has gotten a lot more rainy in the past 20 years. Poults need dry weather for at least 2 or 3 weeks I'd say to survive. Maybe that's the problem. My best guess besides predators.
Most don't realize this... but the rain is not as much a problem for the poults as it is for the hen setting.

Hen gets soaking wet setting, and she smells a LOT. Combine her getting wet with scent molecules lingering at ground level making it easier for predators to detect, and you lose not only the poilts still in the egg, but the momma as well to yoties and bobcats.

Ever smelled a chicken when it's wet... you'll understand

Planking

I have nesting habitat and quail but i don't think they or the turkeys would be as strong as they are on my place without trapping. Its insane how many predators i pull off each year with the exception of the coyote. It seems to have been eliminated. The raptors are everywhere though. That's what i personally witness killing the birds now.

Stumpsitter

Most don't realize this... but the rain is not as much a problem for the poults as it is for the hen setting.

Hen gets soaking wet setting, and she smells a LOT. Combine her getting wet with scent molecules lingering at ground level making it easier for predators to detect, and you lose not only the poilts still in the egg, but the momma as well to yoties and bobcats.

Ever smelled a chicken when it's wet... you'll understand
You're absolutely right. They do have a smell when they get wet. That actually helped me kill a non gobbling bird 1 time, I actually smelled him before I walked up on him in a gas line right of way.