Turkey Population Decline - The data I think we need

Bone Collector

Sorry, but this one will be long. I know we discuss this a lot and I know, most know/think that it is a myriad of reasons for turkey population decline vs. just "the one thing". I think most have figured out that predator/nest predation, and habitat loss play into it, but the more I think about it the more I can't help but feel like we are a huge reason for it. Some of these threads where we are discussing the opening dates this season, whether the limit should be 2 or 3, etc. and some of the comments got me thinking about this a lot lately.

As many know I hunt a lot on the WMAs in my area. I have a small 32 acre tract that we own. There used to be turkeys on my land, but now they are gone. That is mainly due to key habitat loss. There is some hunting now where as when I first bought it I am pretty sure there was none, so maybe a little bit hunting, and predators are everywhere, but the loss of that cow farm to build a brewery dispersed them. However, on the WMAs in a lot of the areas not much has changed. Occasionally a new neighborhood pops up, but that generally means more safe areas and food for wildlife. When I started hunting turkeys in 2010 there were literally flocks of over 100 birds. In deer season it was not uncommon to see 20+ long beard bunched up. Jakes were all over, so that tells me hatches were surviving. Now that is no longer the case. These WMAs are heavily trafficked. There are predators there, but there are a bunch of hunters that are more than happy to have an excuse to pull the trigger, so they get hammered, like all animals. Nest raiders have always been prevalent there. Basically, I cannot see habitat loss and nest raiding predators/predators being the main cause. So while I have been hunting I am thinking, what has changed on these WMAs.

The answer is easy IMO. Our chokes, and shells have changed and the # of hunters has gone up significantly. When I started I was using the only shotgun I owned at the time, a Mossberg 500 capable of shooting 3" shells. My shells were Remington premier magnum #5 lead shot. I had an undertaker choke I got at Wally world for $10. 40 yds. was pushing my luck, and depending on my shooting in the moment 35 yds. may be pushing it. I could go anywhere I wanted most days and never see anyone. I know for a fact in my first two seasons I wounded 2 birds. They flew though so I assumed I had missed. Knowing what I know now, they probably died. Later I shot at a bird in a field on my property that I was certain was at 45 yds, using a different gun, choke and mag blends... he was 65 (I misjudged) and I probably wounded him. The more I think of those birds the more I think how many people have wounded birds and thought they lived, only to go kill another, so essentially they killed x # of birds, but only found Y # of birds, which is what is checked in? Then I start thinking about how many people really hunt turkeys in TN?

So, after all this discussion of the season and limit changes, the pros and the cons, I don't think we will be able to know what type of a difference we are making because we don't have the data form the past, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't start collecting it now for future reference and that data is how many people are actually hunting turkeys? I think we can add a "free" designation that you must have to hunt turkeys, kinda like a migratory bird stamp. Not one that you have to designate when you buy or you can't hunt, but one that can be added with the click of a button on the TWRA app at any time, if you decide to hunt turkeys. Exit surveys are great, but not everyone gets one or will fill it out, so the "stamp" will give us a truer estimate of turkey hunter #'s. With that data we can have a better idea of hunter success vs. total kills and that is a better gauge to base changes on. Simply saying, we killed 40K this year and we killed 35K the year before doesn't tell us anything, if we don't know how many people were out there shooting. If we kill 5k more, but there were 10K more hunters that is not better, that is worse, so knowing the # of hunters is key IMO.

Last edited:

Setterman

You're spot on, there's no way to know how many people actually hunt each spring. How can the data make any sense when this is unknown? It can't

We are also much more efficient killers now from shells to calls and overall experience in the turkey hunters having decades of days in the woods. Also don't forget the damn decoys lol. They certainly cause thousands of dead birds each spring

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I definitely agree that the problem for the turkey decline cannot be habitat loss and/or predators. We've all seen masses of turkeys in suburbia that make us drool. Nest raiders have always been around in pretty much the same numbers since turkey restoration efforts. I understand the temptation to think that maybe it's chicken poop, but there are lots of areas with zero chicken poop being used that have lost their turkeys and lots of areas that use chicken poop that have increased in turkeys. Pesticide use is the same thing. Whatever the problem is has to be ubiquitous across vast areas no matter what state you are in. I haven't looked, but I wonder what states are seeing a steady or increasing population, if any, and what may they be doing that is possibly key.
Too long of a season with too high of a limit with too many advances to make killing easy cannot be smart conservation.

I worry that there is something that is causing infertility in either hens or toms.

Bone Collector

Too long of a season with too high of a limit with too many advances to make killing easy cannot be smart conservation.
What does this statement mean? To me it sounds like you're saying none of those effect turkey populations. If not, I apologize, but all three would definitely play into population decreases, and the # of people participating would as well.
If the # of hunters is going up annually, good for the sport, but bad for the resource. At that point all you can do is change season length, bag limits, etc.
I worry that there is something that is causing infertility in either hens or toms.
That is possible, could be old age?? It is also possible that they're breeding fine and nests are hatching, but then crappy weather kills the poults.

AT Hiker

.... but I wonder what states are seeing a steady or increasing population, if any, and what may they be doing that is possibly key...
In general, it's the states that are newer to turkey reintroduction that are doing good.
Then you have the arid SW states and TX that have boom and bust based on moisture. Evidently, Rios can really take off in a good moisture year and practically shut down reproduction in severe drought.

JCDEERMAN

What does this statement mean? To me it sounds like you're saying none of those effect turkey populations. If not, I apologize, but all three would definitely play into population decreases
I took what @poorhunter said what you say here in your quote….y'all are saying the same thing.

Basically, it's not good management to have too long of a season, too high of a limit, with all the advances we have these days….it's not smart

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
What does this statement mean? To me it sounds like you're saying none of those effect turkey populations. If not, I apologize, but all three would definitely play into population decreases, and the # of people participating would as well.
If the # of hunters is going up annually, good for the sport, but bad for the resource. At that point all you can do is change season length, bag limits, etc.

That is possible, could be old age?? It is also possible that they're breeding fine and nests are hatching, but then crappy weather kills the poults.
Sorry for my poor wording. Yes, those things are definitely effecting turkey populations and they are not good conservation practices.

I do not in any way have any current knowledge about old age effecting fertility, but I do not think that is possible, in a wild population, to have old age make one bit of difference to how well a population has breeding and poult success.

DeerCamp

I still think habitat loss plays a huge role. It's fewer turkeys brooding, and fewer turkeys hatching, and fewer turkeys surviving as poults.

Couple that with increases in coyote populations...

Obviously, humans have an impact, but we aren't shooting hens. I watched a flock of poults go from 25 to 12 to 8 (wife reminded me we saw them one more time) in a matter of 2 months last year.

Coyote-Canis-latrans-harvest_0.png

Bone Collector

Sorry for my poor wording. Yes, those things are definitely effecting turkey populations and they are not good conservation practices.

I do not in any way have any current knowledge about old age effecting fertility, but I do not think that is possible, in a wild population, to have old age make one bit of difference to how well a population has breeding and poult success.
Yeah that was more or less a top of the head thinking out loud guess. It doesn't make sense now that I think about it. 😂

Bone Collector

Obviously, humans have an impact, but we aren't shooting hens. I watched a flock of poults go from 25 to 12 to 8 (wife reminded me we saw them one more time) in a matter of 2 months last year.
I agree that the weather, predators, and other factors are tough on turkey poults, but they still shoot hens during fall season. Even if they did away with fall seasons (IDK I don't go), we have been up until recently. This issue that you and others raise, is definitely a huge problem, but I know one thing for sure, and that is if poults are not surviving and male birds are not being added to the population, then when we hunt and people make long shots and wound birds that die later or we just shoot a larger percentage of our male turkeys than can be replaced then there won't be much to hunt in the areas we can hunt.

I think the main point of my post is that we need to know what the percent of hunter success is before we just look at kill #'s and assume it was a successful season and if we are not having good hunter success, then we need to look, what we can do to change that. This would include the flip side of that coin, if we do see good hunter success then we can expand opportunities.

AT Hiker

I think something that is overlooked is that hunters, specifically like me, are going to try and kill at least one turkey per year. My tried and true places from the late 1990's to the late 20-teens simply have dried up, so I have had to expand and roam around a little bit.
What Im saying is, Im killing turkeys in places I used to not ever hunt. Im chasing ghost until they disappear.

Bgoodman30

I definitely agree that the problem for the turkey decline cannot be habitat loss and/or predators. We've all seen masses of turkeys in suburbia that make us drool. Nest raiders have always been around in pretty much the same numbers since turkey restoration efforts. I understand the temptation to think that maybe it's chicken poop, but there are lots of areas with zero chicken poop being used that have lost their turkeys and lots of areas that use chicken poop that have increased in turkeys. Pesticide use is the same thing. Whatever the problem is has to be ubiquitous across vast areas no matter what state you are in. I haven't looked, but I wonder what states are seeing a steady or increasing population, if any, and what may they be doing that is possibly key.

I think the turkeys in suburbia are in long established and still semi wooded areas. Basically neighborhoods that have been around for decades. This explosive new growth and development of new neighborhoods has absolutory led to the decline of countless flocks.

ASM

Hunting should have minimal effects on production, if production is reliable. Predators rule the roost, (no pun intended.) Raccoons (enemy #1), skunks, foxes, opossums, and armadillos are all nest raiders, and, in many areas, less habitat has created a "SINK." The broods, should they make it to the broody stage, shrink in size due to hawks, eagles, crows, owls, bobcats, foxes, and coyotes (the least of our worries, see below.) Predators are more prevalent than ever and have an easier time than ever before. It's pretty amazing that any turkey survive (11 different predators feasting on eggs, poults and mommas), lol but mother nature is fairly resilient. More hens than you imagine die on the nest protecting their eggs due to bobcats, foxes, coyotes, and occasionally hawks and owls. Both eggs and poults suffer heavy losses during the nesting season.

If you are thinking of trapping, you are best served to do it while nests are on the ground and broods are young (10 days until flight) and It must be intensive! Otherwise, if trapping in the offseason, you're making room for more predators. If you are casually trapping, probably not helping. Sounds contradictory but when one predator is taken out, 1-2 more move in or reproduction is increased to offset temporary declines in population (mother nature again:) so your most efficient trapping time is during the production season, every season otherwise results are short-lived. All that being said, a combination of intentional trapping and managing your habitat for better egg and brood rearing opportunities are where we can all chip in. Game agencies are pulling the "hunting regs" lever, and I believe it will help, but it's only one piece to the puzzle. Personally, I'm fine with 2 as the limit and later start, and to me, it's plenty. If I want more, I could take a kid, call and videotape.

Note on coyotes and hold onto your hat. They probably aren't that impactful on turkey populations and may actually help. Coyotes HATE foxes and foxes are much worse on turkeys (and chickens, farm gamestock, etc.), especially hens and poults. Coyotes will drive foxes (and bobcats) out of an area. Yes, coyotes will occasionally kill a turkey but they aren't as adept at catching them, and they are also not good foragers (eggs.). Coyotes will also kill raccoons, armadillos, and opossums and do this much more often doing "more" for turkey populations than less. Also, coyotes are highly territorial and have a hierarchy. If you happen to kill an alpha male or alpha female, this will invite 2 more into the range (maybe this is good seeing my above statements?). Jury is out on killing coyotes and they also don't kill as many deer as you think unless population is overrun. I'd rather have an alpha female on my land, keeping the foxes and mammalian predators in check. I've let more walk in the last few years.

Good convo

Pilchard

I think the turkeys in suburbia are in long established and still semi wooded areas. Basically neighborhoods that have been around for decades. This explosive new growth and development of new neighborhoods has absolutory led to the decline of countless flocks.
I know we chatted about this separately but what you say is definitely true for our neck of the woods.

The flock that was huge and magnificent has relocated. I am fairly certain that this will impact where the hens nest as well since they changed their nightly roost by a mile.

DeerCamp

I agree that the weather, predators, and other factors are tough on turkey poults, but they still shoot hens during fall season. Even if they did away with fall seasons (IDK I don't go), we have been up until recently. This issue that you and others raise, is definitely a huge problem, but I know one thing for sure, and that is if poults are not surviving and male birds are not being added to the population, then when we hunt and people make long shots and wound birds that die later or we just shoot a larger percentage of our male turkeys than can be replaced then there won't be much to hunt in the areas we can hunt.

I think the main point of my post is that we need to know what the percent of hunter success is before we just look at kill #'s and assume it was a successful season and if we are not having good hunter success, then we need to look, what we can do to change that. This would include the flip side of that coin, if we do see good hunter success then we can expand opportunities.
You're absolutely right - wounded turkeys don't count as a tag, but it's still one less turkey.

I thought last year that the hen was eliminated from the tags in Fall season?

Bgoodman30

I know we chatted about this separately but what you say is definitely true for our neck of the woods.

The flock that was huge and magnificent has relocated. I am fairly certain that this will impact where the hens nest as well since they changed their nightly roost by a mile.

I don't really see turkeys relocating successfully.. Seems like once they are pushed off they dwindle...