Turkey population

BSK

I don't know if what I'm seeing is strictly because I'm running cameras on managed properties that have all done a lot of habitat work (lots of early-stage regrowth, grasses, etc.) but suddenly I'm seeing more turkey on camera than I've seen in quite a few years. Most of this is in western Middle TN, but also northern Middle TN.

See attached video:

Attachments

• IMG_0037.MP4
    30.2 MB

megalomaniac

2 years in a row of good hatches.

Turkey populations wildly fluctuate based on nesting success. Turkeys dont have a biological carrying capacity because their diet is so varied, so reproduction is not hindered by social dynamics or food limitation. A local population can literally quadruple in a year with a good hatch. Conversely, a population can crash in a single year with a poor hatch combined with hunting harvest.

It's why many of us feel hunting limits should vary based on the success or failure of the prior summers hatch.

Kelljp

Last year I watched 3 different hens over the summer successfully get 4 poults to October before they quit showing up. This year I haven't seen a poult. Have seen a few hens and bachelor groups but not very often. I'm out on the farm and drive through Cherokee WMA land most days.

R&T Farm

We have distinct flocks on different parts of our farm. Each flock has a lot of poults that are rapidly growing.

The farmers around us tell me the flock sizes are significantly reduced compared to the past.

in the year or so we've lived here I've made it a mission to cull anything that goes after the turkeys.

Compared to everywhere else I've hunted over the past 50+ years, I've never seen so many turkeys.

Kelljp

We have distinct flocks on different parts of our farm. Each flock has a lot of poults that are rapidly growing.

The farmers around us tell me the flock sizes are significantly reduced compared to the past.

in the year or so we've lived here I've made it a mission to cull anything that goes after the turkeys.

Compared to everywhere else I've hunted over the past 50+ years, I've never seen so many turkeys.
Always good to hear positive observations!

fairchaser

I don't know if what I'm seeing is strictly because I'm running cameras on managed properties that have all done a lot of habitat work (lots of early-stage regrowth, grasses, etc.) but suddenly I'm seeing more turkey on camera than I've seen in quite a few years. Most of this is in western Middle TN, but also northern Middle TN.

See attached video:
We are seeing something similar on Ames. I'm glad to see but I'm not convinced it's due to a later opener but simply due to a better hatch.

MidTennFisher

We are seeing something similar on Ames. I'm glad to see but I'm not convinced it's due to a later opener but simply due to a better hatch.
A lot of the data I've seen suggests that opening the season in early April is 2-3 weeks too early due to interrupting the peak of nest initiation. I'm not a biologist but the argument is pretty convincing and I haven't seen much of an argument against delaying the opener.

My guess is that it also reduces some hunting pressure because of warmer weather and bugs. So the better hatch you're seeing might be related to a later opener.

I guess time will tell.

fairchaser

A lot of the data I've seen suggests that opening the season in early April is 2-3 weeks too early due to interrupting the peak of nest initiation. I'm not a biologist but the argument is pretty convincing and I haven't seen much of an argument against delaying the opener.

My guess is that it also reduces some hunting pressure because of warmer weather and bugs. So the better hatch you're seeing might be related to a later opener.

I guess time will tell.
I have information from a reliable source that TWRA just completed a 7 year study that showed no impact from a delayed opener on the turkey hatch or poult recruitment. This study wasn't completed until after they decided to change the season dates.

MidTennFisher

I have information from a reliable source that TWRA just completed a 7 year study that showed no impact from a delayed opener on the turkey hatch or poult recruitment. This study wasn't completed until after they decided to change the season dates.
Where was the study based? Was it a state that historically has had a later opener or a state that delayed their opener at least 7 years ago? Hey I'd love to hunt in cooler weather and all of us would love turkey season to open sooner after small game season ends. But something surely has to change because all the Southeastern states are in bad shape with turkey numbers.

The basic gist of the argument to delay opener is that we're killing way too many gobblers before the peak of nest initiation. If we delayed that, there would be a lot more eggs on the ground in April. I'm inclined to believe that is a correct assumption

fairchaser

I don't have many answers unfortunately. I hope the report will be revealed soon. It cost quite a bit of money and I hope the results will be utilized.

deerfever

Where was the study based? Was it a state that historically has had a later opener or a state that delayed their opener at least 7 years ago? Hey I'd love to hunt in cooler weather and all of us would love turkey season to open sooner after small game season ends. But something surely has to change because all the Southeastern states are in bad shape with turkey numbers.

The basic gist of the argument to delay opener is that we're killing way too many gobblers before the peak of nest initiation. If we delayed that, there would be a lot more eggs on the ground in April. I'm inclined to believe that is a correct assumption
The study was actually done here in TN , 6 years worth on various areas . Showed that the delayed areas in TN had no gain in reproductive success over non delayed Weather and predators seem to have the biggest impact. The last 3 years have been dry and we have had great hatches without a delay and with the delay this season. I am sure time will give us more Information .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-213834.png
    Screenshot_20230920-213834.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts