Turkey hunting beginner

Coltens

I have been turkey hunting a few times but really only tagging along with some friends and never killed one. What are your recommendations for calls and other Turkey gear? I have a shotgun and camo so good there but possibly need another choke as only have the factory full choke. Could possibly be another thread but what about tips and tactics for a beginner as well?

Tn_Va_Hunter

What gun are you shooting?

There's many good calls out there. There is several guys who make custom calls that is awesome. We have one on this site. I have one of his.

My go to is my halloran crystal mistress.
Don't over call. If you have a bird working and know he's coming. Just hush up for a while. Most likely he will come sneaking in. And don't even blink.

A good turkey vest is worth its weight in gold. Lots of them out there as well.

Good luck

Coltens

What gun are you shooting?

There's many good calls out there. There is several guys who make custom calls that is awesome. We have one on this site. I have one of his.

My go to is my halloran crystal mistress.
Don't over call. If you have a bird working and know he's coming. Just hush up for a while. Most likely he will come sneaking in. And don't even blink.

A good turkey vest is worth its weight in gold. Lots of them out there as well.

Good luck
Thank you, I shoot a beretta A400. Didn't know that about custom calls but has been looking at some at Walmart and didn't know if they were worth it or not.

tickweed

To become a good turkey hunter, learn turkey behavior. Phases they are in during the spring. Learn about hens, what they are doing during breeding, nesting cycles. Gobblers as well. Lots to learn.