TWRA method?

Iglow

Just wondering, reading through a couple of threads this morning and saw words like "honor system" and "self limiting". I know there is a majority that are law abiding and will do what is best for the game animals (put their overall well being first) but their is a significant minority that are little above slug slime that kill with abandon. Does the TWRA have an "Illegal kill" cushion built into their harvest projections they use to set season and daily limits? Is it a percentage?

Southern Sportsman

Since Shields took over as turkey coordinator they have released an annual wild turkey harvest "status report." The last few years it has included an estimate for total harvest, including those not checked in, wound loss, etc. I'm not sure exactly how they model it, but last year the estimate was over 60,000 turkeys actually killed.

IMG_5703.jpeg

2023 Harvest Survey

timberjack86

I feel bad for them, I've gotten ready and have hunted but I haven't pulled the trigger on one in 3 years. They are more valuable alive than dead.
Only bird I called up last season I decided to let him walk. Felt if I pulled the trigger I was killing the last gobbler on South Cherokee.

Iglow

Since Shields took over as turkey coordinator they have released an annual wild turkey harvest "status report." The last few years it has included an estimate for total harvest, including those not checked in, wound loss, etc. I'm not sure exactly how they model it, but last year the estimate was over 60,000 turkeys actually killed.

View attachment 220706

2023 Harvest Survey
If they report 60k killed it's more like 70k I bet. And in the report there was a number of 13k shot at / wounded, that's probably low cause people lie so there may be 90k killed along with natural deaths. We need a 2 bird limit max and 1 in struggling counties.

Iglow

I'm thinking maybe if I can get one I'll keep hunting but not shoot another if I have the chance. Once you call and have one close enough the final thing is pulling the trigger, if you got a bead on his head he's good as dead so you got him more or less but difference is he'll be there next time if somebody else don't kill him.

Wooden Arrow

i'm going to spray down with permethrin and go. don't CARE if i kill one. going to further handicap myself this spring by bowhunting them. got a BBO bow from Vinson Miner i haven't taken into the woods yet... if i'm not gonna kill a dang turkey, i'm going to carry the lightest hunting device i've got...🖖

Latest posts