Twra turkey population study.

catman529

I don't know details but they are continuing the study past the 5 years last I heard. Also there's another study that has been started more recently. They are still trapping birds. Sorry I don't have more info

cm1021

Are they studying WHY the poults aren't surviving?? If they know they aren't making it, yet not trying to find the reason, their study is useless IMO. There's no need to study if turkeys are declining, we know they are! Figure out why they are and develop a plan to stop it!! I swear with twra sometimes it's like talking to a wall!!

Iglow

It seems like it's not predators, people haven't trapped much to matter in decades and even that wouldn't knock down the numbers that much. Killing predators could maybe help locally but this problem is happening over millions of square miles in many States. Coons and coyotes didn't live with turkeys for 15/20 years then suddenly learn to raid nests/eat poults and catch grown birds in the last 5 years. We all know how predators are, if there is an opportunity they will exploit it instantly. If it was predators the turkey comeback would have never happened cause the predators would have got them and wiped them out when the stocking populations were thin. I think it's some bug/mite or some invasive "something" that has migrated into the turkey's range in America sort of on the lines of the chestnut blight or dutch elm disease or more recently emerald ash borers. Maybe some other animal has brought something with them that effects turkeys. Just think about armadillos, they were unheard of 20 years ago around here but in the last 10 they have came north and have put down roots. Maybe something like that. It could be some virus that is spread from bird to bird that reduces their reproductive system health. If you think about ringneck phesants, they were never able to transplant them in the South because of some mite here that got on them but they could do well in colder northern/western areas where the mite wasn't present. I guess with all the studing of this downfall the researchers would have identified something like that by now. I don't know what has happened/changed but something has.

megalomaniac

It seems like it's not predators, people haven't trapped much to matter in decades and even that wouldn't knock down the numbers that much. Killing predators could maybe help locally but this problem is happening over millions of square miles in many States. Coons and coyotes didn't live with turkeys for 15/20 years then suddenly learn to raid nests/eat poults and catch grown birds in the last 5 years. We all know how predators are, if there is an opportunity they will exploit it instantly. If it was predators the turkey comeback would have never happened cause the predators would have got them and wiped them out when the stocking populations were thin. I think it's some bug/mite or some invasive "something" that has migrated into the turkey's range in America sort of on the lines of the chestnut blight or dutch elm disease or more recently emerald ash borers. Maybe some other animal has brought something with them that effects turkeys. Just think about armadillos, they were unheard of 20 years ago around here but in the last 10 they have came north and have put down roots. Maybe something like that. It could be some virus that is spread from bird to bird that reduces their reproductive system health. If you think about ringneck phesants, they were never able to transplant them in the South because of some mite here that got on them but they could do well in colder northern/western areas where the mite wasn't present. I guess with all the studing of this downfall the researchers would have identified something like that by now. I don't know what has happened/changed but something has.
Coyotes have actually completely changed their behavior on my farms since the early 90s...

Back then, a coyote would come out into a field with turkeys, the birds and the coyote would ignore each other. Coyotes just didn't view turkeys as a food source. Fast forward 20 years, and it became the norm to call up 5 or 6 Coyotes coming to my calls actively hunting the source of the call. Turkeys now scatter when they see a coyote. I find a kill site or two each year.

As far as the coons, to me it seems their population has exploded as well. At least they Coyotes eat them too.

gladesman60

Are they studying WHY the poults aren't surviving?? If they know they aren't making it, yet not trying to find the reason, their study is useless IMO. There's no need to study if turkeys are declining, we know they are! Figure out why they are and develop a plan to stop it!! I swear with twra sometimes it's like talking to a wall!!
2 of them were for sure predator kills. the transmitters were in scat piles.if i had to bet probably all of em were. This year there are 8 less coyotes, 2 fox and a bobcat on the hill. plus a lot less coons and possums. we will see if it helps.

gladesman60

Predators are definitely in the equation. If there is something else going on it might be out of an individuals control but everyone can help by thinning out predators. You dont have to be an expert trapper to catch raccoons. Get a couple coon cuffs and get to trapping.

gladesman60

Something seems to be killing poults and adults…I would say some sort of parasite, virus, fungus, or bacteria…and of course no adults = no poults…
That may be, but if it is that problem has run its course around my place in Giles. Lots of turkeys again the last 3 years after having hardly any the 3 or 4 years before that. Problem is keeping some of them on 70 acres.

cm1021

2 of them were for sure predator kills. the transmitters were in scat piles.if i had to bet probably all of em were. This year there are 8 less coyotes, 2 fox and a bobcat on the hill. plus a lot less coons and possums. we will see if it helps.
I trap one farm pretty hard every year since we leased it. The turkey are abundant on that farm. I average probably 10 coyote, 30+ Raccoon, a bobcat or two, and countless possums with a few skunks mixed in.

Does it help? I'm sure it does, but the thing I have found more substantiating than anything is I have three covey of quail on the property. There wasn't one that I could find 4 years ago. 2 years ago had two covey. This past year I personally jumped three. If quail find it a good habitat, I KNOW turkey should survive there.

paboom

Where I grew up in Virginia, I didn't see the first coyote until 1999. Now, you see them frequently and in larger packs. I find it hard to believe they aren't having an impact.

On my place in TN, I can't remember the last time I put out a dog proof trap that I DIDN'T catch a racoon.

I'm not saying it's THE reason, but it sure has to be a role in the decline.

Coker

One thing that is not mentioned is the loss of nesting habitat. Between cities growing and woods being turned into fields for crops/livestock, there is less and less nesting habitat. This alone is not the problem but it sure doesn't help.
Predators do play a big factor. Again, with less and less habitat, it forces wildlife to live in closer proximity than ever before. What once could cross paths with no incident is now eating each other for survival.

catman529

Way to jump to conclusions without knowing much info....

JCDEERMAN

One thing that is not mentioned is the loss of nesting habitat. Between cities growing and woods being turned into fields for crops/livestock, there is less and less nesting habitat. This alone is not the problem but it sure doesn't help.
Predators do play a big factor. Again, with less and less habitat, it forces wildlife to live in closer proximity than ever before. What once could cross paths with no incident is now eating each other for survival.
Yep….improve nesting/brooding habitat and trap like hell. The two best solutions

cm1021

Way to jump to conclusions without knowing much info....
I'm not jumping to conclusions. I stand by the fact that if they aren't trying to figure out why poults aren't surviving at an alarming rate, the study is useless! If they're just doing the study to see if the turkey population is declining, it's a waste! There's multiple reports of the population declining!!!

Latest posts