Seek One knocks down a TN stud!!

Gravey

There are a lot of opinions here but one thing that I think is interesting is the opinions of the people who support the urban-for profit-hunting and how they characterize the deer as weary and wild. I have a small place in Brentwood and I have nice bucks in my yard daily. To say they are remotely similar to the ones we hunt in the wilderness is false. I took a picture of a 4 year old buck a couple weeks back that stood up out of his bed and watched me get my phone out of my pocket for pictures at six steps.

You might say that I was no threat and he "knows the difference"... this is wrong. I had no earthly idea he was there while I had been shooting a x-bow, just a few feet from him, for 15 minutes prior to him standing up and revealing himself. I literally had to put down the x-bow to be able to take my phone out.

I have permission to hunt a 50 acre farm just 1/2 mile from my 3 acres. I can't bring myself to do it. The deer I would be killing are the same ones my wife talks to when they bedded in my yard.
Can I hunt that 50? I won't post pics of it. 🤣

Gravey

Heck even your aunt's place down by my in-laws is not in a "neighborhood" but I can promise ya it's like shooting fish in a barrel lol.
There's a bunch of deer there and some good ones too. Always see them when I've been there. My uncle killed a couple off of it over the years but typically didn't hunt it. They built in the mid 80's and he's been dead 7 years this October.

Hduke86

There's a bunch of deer there and some good ones too. Always see them when I've been there. My uncle killed a couple off of it over the years but typically didn't hunt it. They built in the mid 80's and he's been dead 7 years this October.
I've tagged a few over in that area. Unfortunately wasn't with a bow or rifle but my truck lol.

squirrel_hunter

Thanks for your perspective SH. I'm curious because I'm in a area with high CWD, how you see when and how we will recover. What actually happens? Is it the perspective of the hunter that changes or does the deer population recover? Thanks.
Our deer and elk both have it in Arkansas. Places that test high. Like Buffalo national forest. I have walk by several dead ones. Hunted that area 12 plus yrs. When i first started hunting there . I seen alot of deer. Each yrs it got worst. 5 or 6 yrs ago. I started seeing more deer. Last 2 yrs i haven't fount any dead. The deer when they have it looks bad. Skin and bones dont act right. I know few people got there elk tested. And then take the meat to the butcher shop.Before butcher got done with it. There meat tested positive for it. U have to throw the meat away. I have had 2 deer tested positive for it. Thats why they dont want you feeding yr around. Its easy transmitted. Deer that made it thru it. And other deer moving in and through the area. And the urban hunts they have here. There are alot of deer in those places. One deer can transmit to the other deer easy.

rem270

Heck even your aunt's place down by my in-laws is not in a "neighborhood" but I can promise ya it's like shooting fish in a barrel lol.
I been poaching on @Pilchard 's place for a long time. Some good deer on both places. Wish he'd buy more than 50 lbs of corn at a time though.

Headhunter

So city deer can't be killed by anyone or they are trash but city boys can come kill our country deer!?!? That's a double standard! 🤣🤣
I had rather city boys kill city deer any day of the week and leave the others to us poor country boys that actually live in the woods! 🤣
To me, hunting deer on parcels of land near inhabited areas is can be really tough, especially if they get hunted a lot. Killing deer in backyards where they are fed, basically have no fear of anything, and are as close to being pets as they can be is just that, killing deer. It has nothing to do with hunting. I have nothing against actually killing the deer, and I am sure they eat as good or maybe better than deer killed in some other areas. But to post about a being a great hunter or it is a record, etc. is not even close to fair chase or hunting. So you feed your dog, cat, pig, horse, etc. and they know when they are fed, which backyard to go to, they are never bothered and one day you decide to go out and shoot one of them to eat. Would they be hunting? In neighborhoods in some situations and especially in people's yards it is the same when applied to deer. And yes I have personal experience in Belle Meade, TN. The deer, even great bucks, would stand there and look at you. It wasn't but it was almost as if they were waiting on me to give them food. Nope, not interested.

mayberryrick

EXTREMELY interesting topic!

At the end of the day...here is the truth as I see it.

Personally , I have no problem with anyone supporting our sport by hunting legally, ethically, responsibly. KEYWORD-SUPPORTING (not hurting with negative P/R)

My credentials:
I have killed more whitetails with a bow in more places in more states in more environments (mostly high pressured public), than most bowhunters could ever imagine. 338. (insert chest thumping pic here)
It has been a STUDY on anatomy, blood trailing, deer behavior, and other hunters.

It is an absolute MIRACLE I stayed married for 41 years through it all. (great wife)

Here is what I know.

1-it is very hard to make generalizations about how deer as a group will act in a given environment.
2-deer, especially the mature (NOT necessarily BIG) ones have dramatically different personalities (think mature German Shepard)
3-IMO..."MATURE" as far as a hunter who is trying to gauge his hunting skillset is concerned, SHOULD mean "human interaction" level of experience for any deer.
and NOT size of antler or body.

I have seen 1.5 year old heavily pressured with MANY negative human scent/interaction encounters act like VERY mature, wary deer. And become almost impossible to get close enough to, to kill.

I have, and do hunt "yard deer". I think the kill count for me on yard deer is up to 4 now. EXTREMELY stressful, not all that enjoyable type of hunting. Why? Because everything has to be perfect to execute the shot and keep the animal on the small parcel as it dies. I do this type of hunting strictly to take a few flower eaters off this property and to fill freezers.

Make no mistake. Killing the deer I do in that residential setting is NOTHING like killing the deer I do at AEDC, Prentice Cooper, Beaver Dam, Cedar Creek, or any other public high pressured area I've ever hunted. Deer walk across my scent trail in any of those public hunting areas and they are GONE!
In the yard situation they follow my footsteps to the tree, or hot tub.
Not the same animal.

Even the older age class deer can act different. They just aren't always as wary about human scent.

As an example...I know a guy who killed a 180+ in a residential setting. It was huge. He was proud of that buck and was very nervous at making the shot with his bow at the time.
A few months later I saw a video of a man feeding this buck in his backyard from a few feet away.
He had known the buck from a button. It was the same 180 that the other guy killed a few years later. The hunter had no idea it had been hand fed shortly before it was killed.

Legal-Yes.

Nothing wrong there.

But I am sure other residential deer have different personalities. FOR CERTAIN!

Rutting deer act different than out of rut deer. Sex tends to make them less wary but not always.

I have captured trail cam photos of the same bucks in different sub-divisions miles apart. Still not as spooky as their pressured counterparts but obviously traveling miles in the rut.

I also believe that killing a hunter wary mature buck is MUCH more about HIM making a mistaken you being there at the right time than YOU being a skilled hunter.

There are VERY few hunters who hunt pressured deer, on PUBLIC ACCESS property, that regularly kill mature bucks that the hunter was aware of before he killed it. There are simply too many variables out of the hunters control...mostly other people.

At the end of the day we are ALL hunters. We should be held responsible for making our sport look good wether helping a landowner control pests or doing our part as wildlife managers.

We all need to stick together and HAVE FUN! Life is short!

LOVE THIS POST!!! Best post on this thread so far….

big buck hunter

Wow do Yall need any Peanut Butter to go with all this Jelly? If it is so easy to kill a "Tame deer" why havent any of yall got one? SMH. If you think a deer is tame because it lives near houses you obviously dont know much about both deer and suburban hunting

BigRod

I do know one thing about this topic. It surely pulls out the newbies from the dark when you rattle their cage lol.
AMEN!

I've stated my opinion about the topic enough and just enjoy reading and making little comments and seeing what others are still bickering back and fourth about.

GRIT

And this is how Seek One became a household name.
1662126162699.png

Hduke86

bet his mamma still shouts for him when dinner is ready as well!

Bless his heart! He gets picked on to much but it sure is funny.
Last time I was around him his phone kept blowing up. I thought it was work or something but I saw where it said UNICORN. He kept sneaking off to answer the phone so I don't know what all that is about.

wobblegobble

Hasn't ruined anything. This forum is just a bunch of people complaining. Back when I joined it was actually a place to learn about hunting, not read a bunch of complaints about other hunters. As GRIT said, people wouldn't be talking if it was a smaller deer. Kill a 180" and people are gonna get in their feels every time. If they killed it on public, everyone would find a different reason to complain. Assumptions, rumors and accusations start flying around whenever a really big deer is killed.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating it on camera and posting the video and pics online. People like to see it. Hunting shows are nothing new. They are for entertainment. Seek One is a hunting show, and a business, and they bust their tail year round to find and kill those deer and get it all on video. They're very successful at what they do, and it obviously bothers quite a few people. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
The same people crying about SEEKONE posting are quick to post their 100 inch deer for likes on here and TDH facebook lol America is full of hypocrisy right now! Y'all know dang well anybody would hunt theway he does if you could get the same results.

Latest posts