Rut report

CJM1284

We saw two nice bucks trailing does on KY side of LBL this weekend. Kids just can't seem to shoot one.

In south Lawrence county, doe groups are together and I've got bucks hanging out together as well. Scrapes are everywhere!
Hunted the Laurel Hill quota hunt this past weekend and same can be said there for does and bucks still together. I saw 12 does in 2 hunts with no bucks trailing. Buddy of mine hunting not far away from me saw 5 bucks all together. Scrapes are popping up but still early I think.

Mescalero

I'm back from Stewart Co and not much was going on over there. A couple of nice bucks were taken late in the day feeding, but no one reported any chasing going on.

I would have missed a bet on this one with the weather and time of year.
Maybe the late Rutting Moon has something to do with it? I don't believe it. Weather has been great. Thanks don't get it.

WORM82

Washington county, sat evening had a small 6pt chasing a doe and tonight sun evening seen a small buck causing at 4pm then last 30mins of shooting light had a nice 6 or 8pt chasing a doe all over a cudzu patch for 20mins.

BSK

Movement on our farm has been terrible this week. Dont know where all the deer went. We're in Charlotte just west of Ashland city
Could possibly be what hunters call "lock down," whatever that is biologically. I've noticed mature buck sightings slow way down during about a week period during peak of breeding.

BSK

I'm also seeing what many are reporting. Scrapes started to go dead early in MZ season and are completely dead now. No mature bucks visiting them, not even at night. Personally witnessed and cameras caught lots of pester-chasing of does (does running scared, flat out) right up through the 12th, then a few ritualized estrus chases starting the 13th. Definitely at peak breeding in my area, and what hunters refer to as "lock down."

vanleerbuckbuster

Could possibly be what hunters call "lock down," whatever that is biologically. I've noticed mature buck sightings slow way down during about a week period during peak of breeding.
I think thats exactly what is going on here. Only thing im really concerned with is the sudden lack of pictures. Even at night. Hopefully it picks up this week.

megalomaniac

Had our first 'tending' this morn. 4.5yo bedded with a doe in the open field, he had to get up periodically and chase off 3 younger suitors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211116-081920_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211116-081920_Messages.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 114

gatodoc

I don't know exactly what phase of the rut it is but we've historically killed our best bucks in Fayette co. the weekend after thanksgiving and the following week.

i suspect "the rut" follows a bell shaped curve.

last weekend we had a bunch of young bucks everywhere, scrapes suddenly opening up and one great buck killed cruising. I suspect last weekend was the start of our curve with the peak next weekend. I'll defer to BSK for professional opinion....