Rut activity??

tntrkkllr

Has any one seen any rut activity in west tn? I've hardly seen any scrapes, maybe a couple young bucks trying chase a doe or two but even the bucks I've got on camera lately I can tell their tarsals ain't even changed color. Also getting pics of bucks in groups still?? I'm not sure what's going on round here!!

Lost Lake

It was dead last weekend except for one chase that went on for an hour in an overgrown creek bottom field on our place.

Right before dark on another part of our place, a nice 3.5 had a doe hemmed up and wouldn't let her move.

Scrapes are just now opening up there in Henry county.

tntrkkllr

WAY too early for west TN breeding activity. Another 2 weeks and you will be seeing some prerut action.
This time Last year I shot two mature bucks one Saturday one Sunday both cruising for does just seems behind compared to last year, saw a lot of scrapes and chasing this time last year also I guess the warm weather got em not feeling it

backyardtndeer

Yep, sure am. It's right on time about 30 minutes north of Jackson, right in time with the typical that we see. Seeing stained tarsals, chasing been going on for a couple weeks here, and a lot of scrapes over the last week and a half.

BSK

I'm on the border between Middle TN and West TN. Chasing has been insane this year (started in late September). Bucks were cranked to 11 over the weekend. Very little sign of actual estrus, but bucks didn't care. We saw multiple chases from the stand Saturday through Wednesday, and a crazy number of chases on camera.

Also noticed around the 5th that does suddenly switched their attention from the overhanging limb at scrapes to the ground scrapes themselves. In the past, this has been a very predictable harbinger of actual estrus in 5 days. So looks like estrus should kick off in mass around the 10th, which is right on schedule for a peak breeding of the 10th to 20th.

DoubleRidge

Northern Middle getting right. Watched buck bump does around monday. Seen multiple younger bucks cruising...had to work Tuesday thru Thursday....this morning seen two bucks chasing same doe...our observations and historical notes line up with BSKs comments...10th to 20th looking good...add in slightly cooler temps....its time.

JN

In NE TN I saw an increase of bucks cruising after the cold front at Halloween. That whole week had bucks making scrapes and chasing does. I do not know if the does were in heat or the bucks were just horny. Last weekend 4 of the guys I hunt with shot bucks that were chasing. Since then with this warm weather I have not had as much activity on cameras or seen any chasing as well. I think with the cooler weather this weekend and next week are going to be good for rut activity at least here.

TN Larry

I'm on the border between Middle TN and West TN. Chasing has been insane this year (started in late September). Bucks were cranked to 11 over the weekend. Very little sign of actual estrus, but bucks didn't care. We saw multiple chases from the stand Saturday through Wednesday, and a crazy number of chases on camera.

Also noticed around the 5th that does suddenly switched their attention from the overhanging limb at scrapes to the ground scrapes themselves. In the past, this has been a very predictable harbinger of actual estrus in 5 days. So looks like estrus should kick off in mass around the 10th, which is right on schedule for a peak breeding of the 10th to 20th.
@BSK We need to see some kill pics and a story. :)

I have seen no rutting activity here but still about 5 days before we start seeing older bucks on their feet during daylight cruising.

Gobble4me757

Y'all think this cold will kick some in gear to at least cruise? Here in west Tenn. Will be hunting a soybean field that will likely have 15-20 does out in it this afternoon

megalomaniac

Have seen a 2.5yo running a doe who wasn't ready and a 4.5yo 120in buck checking does, but not running them. SE middle tn

Prob should have shot the 4.5yo, but didn't want to tag out in the first hour of my 2023 season.

BSK

@BSK We need to see some kill pics and a story. :)
So far, just a bunch of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-old 8-pointers.

My family farm is just for "entertainment" hunting for the family. They come in from all over the country (and even other countries) for 5-6 days at the start of MZ season and that's it for most of them for the year. Any buck not a yearling is fair game. We shoot a lot of 2 1/2 year-old 8-pointers, which we can "grow" with abundance.

74MOPAR

Zero action in my part of northern sumner county, not even seeing many does. But I've heard others are seeing some better activity. 12 days until shoulder surgery so I'm hoping I get lucky this weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts