Intense 1st rut

megalomaniac

A little late (?severe drought this fall), but we have shot 4 bucks this past week either tending does or looking for does except 1 that came to a feeder.

Friend killed this nice 7 at 3p today tending a doe, was 3.5 and 109.

Another friend killed this 10pt coming to a feeder, the highest scoring buck we've ever taken, 125in and 4.5yo.

Another member shot a 'wide but not tall 8' that bled a good bit of dark blood, but tracking dogs couldn't find.

So fun to hunt intense rutting activity this last in the season!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_172134_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_172134_Messages.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240126_193808_GroupMe.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_193808_GroupMe.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 7

TboneD

Good buck! You might be making some folks jealous lol. What county? My nephew is dragging out a good one he killed on some public this morning in east central MS. Hopefully I'll get to go down there next year to hunt with him.

megalomaniac

Good buck! You might be making some folks jealous lol. What county? My nephew is dragging out a good one he killed on some public this morning in east central MS. Hopefully I'll get to go down there next year to hunt with him.
Right on Forrest/Lamar county line.

900ac, 10 members, allowed 1 buck and 1 doe per $1000 membership fee. The membership covers lease cost ($9.46 per acre) plus insurance, plus cost of seed and fertilizer for plots. Turkey included, but there have only been 2 birds ever killed on this property. Plus there is a 5 ac lake on property overpopulated with bass, and about a half mile frontage on Black creek.

TboneD

Right on Forrest/Lamar county line.

900ac, 10 members, allowed 1 buck and 1 doe per $1000 membership fee. The membership covers lease cost ($9.46 per acre) plus insurance, plus cost of seed and fertilizer for plots. Turkey included, but there have only been 2 birds ever killed on this property. Plus there is a 5 ac lake on property overpopulated with bass, and about a half mile frontage on Black creek.
Sounds like a good lease! I was raised in Gautier on the coast. Lots of family between the coast and the central part of the state, but my nephew is about the only one who's hunted any public that I know of. Had an old school friend near Picayune who was hoping to hunt the delta with me one January but sadly succumbed to the delta strain.

megalomaniac

Sounds like a good lease! I was raised in Gautier on the coast. Lots of family between the coast and the central part of the state, but my nephew is about the only one who's hunted any public that I know of. Had an old school friend near Picayune who was hoping to hunt the delta with me one January but sadly succumbed to the delta strain.
Sorry to hear that 😞

It's about a 1h 45 min drive to get to the nearest big buck hunting from where I live. I'd rather just reset my expectations and hunt 15 min from my door than have a lease 2h away. A buddy just got back from Canemount. Saw a shooter, but couldn't get on him thru the thick stuff. He has a camper, so he puts on for all the draws on the Delta as well.

TboneD

Sorry to hear that 😞

It's about a 1h 45 min drive to get to the nearest big buck hunting from where I live. I'd rather just reset my expectations and hunt 15 min from my door than have a lease 2h away. A buddy just got back from Canemount. Saw a shooter, but couldn't get on him thru the thick stuff. He has a camper, so he puts on for all the draws on the Delta as well.

I sure can understand that. Most of my hunting isn't half a hr away and the more bucks I put in the freezer the more I'm interested in body size instead of inches of antlers. Speaking of horns, though, do you think antler potential varies a lot more down in MS than it does here in TN? Sure seems like it from what I've heard and read. Guess what I'm asking is do you think the "quality potential" of the delta and fertile region of northeast MS compared to most of the rest of MS is exaggerated? Or not?

My nephew's parents live between Jackson and Meridian but lives up in West Point where he works. So I've been trying to help him decide which public lands to try and any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated!

megalomaniac

I sure can understand that. Most of my hunting isn't half a hr away and the more bucks I put in the freezer the more I'm interested in body size instead of inches of antlers. Speaking of horns, though, do you think antler potential varies a lot more down in MS than it does here in TN? Sure seems like it from what I've heard and read. Guess what I'm asking is do you think the "quality potential" of the delta and fertile region of northeast MS compared to most of the rest of MS is exaggerated? Or not?

My nephew's parents live between Jackson and Meridian but lives up in West Point where he works. So I've been trying to help him decide which public lands to try and any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated!
Mississippi has incredibly varied antler scores based on incredibly different soil types. Much more varied than TN.

For example, deer reach 90% antler growth at 3.5 in the Delta... some of the richest soils in the country. While where I am in south MS, deer don't hit 90% antler growth until 5.5. The genetics are basically the same between regions, it's just the difference in soils.

The best soils in MS are the Delta (obviously), along the MS river south of the delta (Port Gibson, Natchez, Woodville), and the black belt in east central MS. Soils close to the Big Black are also rich and produce larger bucks than surrounding areas. The are other pockets with bigger than average bucks, but those are the areas you want to focus on for bucks that have the potential to score higher than other areas.

The best public hunts are draws in the delta and south of the delta along the MS River. Public lands where I live (mostly Desoto National Forest) are dog hunted HARD so I don't bother hunting there, not that it's impossible to kill a decent deer.

There are good deer around West Point (being the northern edge of the black belt), but I don't know anything about public lands there. I would guess there would be some honey holes in the Corp land along TN Tom waterway. My son is a freshman at MS State and he has had a decent amount of luck duck hunting the public near Starkville, but he seems to think the public is a bit overpressured for deer (but he hasn't really deer hunted it yet)

Latest posts