Late rut activity

woodyard

Some rut activity still going on around here. Saw two bucks from our house late yesterday afternoon keeping close tabs on a couple of does. Riding around the farm this morning saw some saplings that had been trashed that were not the day before. Thought I had been seeing some new rubs scattered around over the farm the last couple of weeks. Last year saw some late activity but I believe this time is a couple of weeks later.

BSK

Riding around the farm this morning saw some saplings that had been trashed that were not the day before. Thought I had been seeing some new rubs scattered around over the farm the last couple of weeks.
I found a rub on a decent size tree a week or so ago that is new. I go by that tree several times a week and it wasn't there.
And this is why I would wait on conducting my annual rub density study each year until late February - to catch these later surges in rubbing.

Ski

Pretty normal in my experience. Lots of hunters don't see it because they're no longer in the woods after season closes. But just because season closes doesn't mean they quit being deer. In my experience they intermittently make rubs, scrapes, and chase does all the way into spring.

Latest posts