Hypothetical cell trail cam question!

Knothead

IF, you have a cell trail cam on a trail that enters a food plot, AND you got a pic that a good buck was in said food plot, AND you could get to the property quickly, AND you were able to slip up to the edge of the plot undetected and he's in easy gun range, do you take the shot?
No. That's not hunting. That's killing.
JMHO

Jmed

I have ran a bunch of cell cams since they came out on multiple properties, in multiple states. I can say that situation has never happened. In fact, the cams have kept us from going into the stand, because a target deer was there, and we didnt want to risk bumping him.

Cell cams have been the single greatest tool that has helped me and my crew kill the mature deer that we have on our leases.

AT Hiker

No different then walking past the kitchen window and seeing one eating corn in the garden, dead deer.
I get the gist of this but at the same time its not apples to apples, IMO.
I would like to think, from my experience, that a mature buck is less likely to visit a garden during daylight hunting season and is more likely to visit a tucked away honey hole with a cell camera on it.

Shed Hunter

There was a kid in Camden TN that shot a 180" deer a couple of years ago that someone told him was running around on their back yard.

Is this situation different? (For what it's worth I'm proud of the kid for sneaking in and killing the deer and think it was fine and dandy)

Snake

We have 17 or 18 food plots and only 3 have shooting houses on them. I do hunt them but haven't had a heater although wish I did a few times. Coffee would be nice too. Now you've got me rethinking this Snake. 😂 Seriously though i get your point and no offense taken.
Hope so the intent wasn't for you or actually no one . Who wouldn't want that set up because I sure would. The point was about hunting now a day , why not take every advantage you can get ? Sure any one could say that's not real hunting , most of us don't do what was done in the past . Also there aren't large tracts of property that you can hunt now and in the past just about any landowner would let you hunt just by asking another thing of the past. So much is different than when I first
starting hunting but to me if a person is in the field with a weapon pursuing game they are hunting !!! Some just has more opportunities and abilities than another so use them !!!!

Last edited:

cbhunter

There was a kid in Camden TN that shot a 180" deer a couple of years ago that someone told him was running around on their back yard.

Is this situation different? (For what it's worth I'm proud of the kid for sneaking in and killing the deer and think it was fine and dandy)
His dad is a friend of mine. Very proud for the young guy. I'm not sure of many people that wouldn't have done the same thing. Call me and tell me you have eyes on a absolute giant and give me permission to go after him. See how fast i get there haha

Bone Collector

I'm shooting. Like others have said, why use them if you are not going to use them. Also if you just walked up and he was there, you would shoot no question, so who cares if you knew he was there? I know I always approach areas like food plots with caution, since there may be deer there.

Speedwell-Hunter

Spypoint and Stealth.

I can't in good conscience recommend the former to anyone, even if their quality has improved. Entirely too many problems.

Just had to pull one down yesterday and reformat the card because it quit connecting, and for some reason that fixes it.
Same, I have spypoint (NOT a fan) and looking to get pure cell cams, just not sure what brand yet

catman529

This one just showed up for the first time during daylight this morning when I got off work. He's a good drive away from home and I already planned on hunting there this weekend with the ML based on past experience. But it's pretty cool getting pics on my phone of the bucks showing up in a spot that normally only has does, and I don't have to go in there leaving a scent trail and bumping does off bed to check the card.
2777BD16-3D00-427F-A62D-D4E9762914D7.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

I don't know why our bucks are so jumpy. I have many clients who kill good bucks out of food plots on a regular basis.
Ours are the same way - jumpy. We've killed one mature buck out of our food plots in 22 years......and that was during the velvet hunt = totally different.

woodsman04

Have had cameras on all my plots for 20 years and can count on one hand the number of daylight mature buck pictures in food plots during hunting season, and then only cruising through quickly. Feeding in food plots during daylight? Never. At night, all the time.
The only time I ever get a mature actually feeding in a foodplot on camera, or if I'm hunting in a big ag field, is when it's downright cold in late season. If they come in the field at daylight it's to chase does.

Latest posts