Interesting new cell cam law in NH

Buzzard Breath

This is the first time I've seen something like this.

Screenshot_20231227_191948_Chrome.jpg

PickettSFHunter

A huge percentage of bucks are being taken that way where I live. Cell cam behind house, corn, get pic, get the night vision, shoot the buck. It's made it to where almost anyone can get a good buck with no skill. A lot more are putting corn and cell cams at various places you can shoot from the road if you know where to stop and look over the mountain. Get the pictures, drive to the spot, fire. I don't think allot of people realize just how prevalent this is .

Ski

Not unlike Alaskan law that you can't hunt same day you fly in, because it's plausible you scouted the animal from the sky and therefore have an unfair advantage. Same thing with same day trail cam pics, especially cell cams. May not be easily enforced but one step closer to banning them altogether.

th88

I support the law 100%. Unfortunately cameras are BIG BUSINESS and the industry will do whatever possible to limit restrictions on cameras. They'll be regulated off public lands (both cell and non cell cams) but they are here to stay on private. You could just use them "for security" and lie and say they aren't for hunting.

Newt

I know what PickettSFhunter is saying up on this plateau the baiters , night vision and cell cams claim many good bucks . Sickening

It's a double edged sword though to me because I absolutely love trail cams and cell cams even better. I enjoy checking trail cams and getting pictures on the telephone about more than anything. But if they outlaw them it won't affect my hunting style just save me some money on batteries lol

killingtime 41

Not even remotely enforceable. I would say we are within 5 years of some serious laws with cell cameras.
It might be since they are tied to your phone with all the info they need if they find the camera. But it would be very hard I would think to enforce. Unless just outright confiscation or they treat it like baiting.

DaveTN

I don't know why anyone would think it wouldn't be enforceable? I just don't know how they would know? Unless you voluntarily let them look through your phone, or you posted the pics on social media; they would need probable cause and need to get a warrant.

DMD

I'm not really sure it makes a whole lot of sense. First, it's unenforceable. Second, Poachers are going to poach regardless. It's no different than a poacher hunting over bait illegally or spotlighting deer. They are going to hunt illegally period and ethical hunters are the ones punished by having to deal with the law.

Third, the problem in this case, imo, when you pass a law like this, it punishes ethical hunters who enjoy fooling with trail cameras.
Example: i get a cell cam picture of a buck at 3:40am. Now I can't kill that buck at 11:30am? Just stupid imo.

So my choices are:

A. stop using cell cams during hunting season

B. Pass up good bucks because i got a picture of them a half mile away 6 hours ago

C. Or ... ignore the law and shoot the buck.

I don't like any of those choices.

7mm08

A huge percentage of bucks are being taken that way where I live. Cell cam behind house, corn, get pic, get the night vision, shoot the buck. It's made it to where almost anyone can get a good buck with no skill. A lot more are putting corn and cell cams at various places you can shoot from the road if you know where to stop and look over the mountain. Get the pictures, drive to the spot, fire. I don't think allot of people realize just how prevalent this is .
Just out of curiosity……. Who in your area is buying $2000 - 5000 NV equipment to shoot a deer? No offense but isn't 3/4 of your area on welfare?

CliffordN

This sounds like another law with good intent, that may be very hard to enforce. Legislators are generally well educated, but they are terrible with language when they write bills... And they often create laws which give LEOs trouble...

PickettSFHunter

Just out of curiosity……. Who in your area is buying $2000 - 5000 NV equipment to shoot a deer? No offense but isn't 3/4 of your area on welfare?
Almost everyone I know that hunts has night vision or thermal for hogs, just a very common thing. You could buy some decent pulsar night vision for $300 at one time, ATN junk for $600. Not everyone has the $5000 thermal stuff but a lot sure do. If you have a farm that's a tax write off. Lots of old money here, and you can make a fortune off the transplants coming in now.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I'm not really sure it makes a whole lot of sense. First, it's unenforceable. Second, Poachers are going to poach regardless. It's no different than a poacher hunting over bait illegally or spotlighting deer. They are going to hunt illegally period and ethical hunters are the ones punished by having to deal with the law.

Third, the problem in this case, imo, when you pass a law like this, it punishes ethical hunters who enjoy fooling with trail cameras.
Example: i get a cell cam picture of a buck at 3:40am. Now I can't kill that buck at 11:30am? Just stupid imo.

So my choices are:

A. stop using cell cams during hunting season

B. Pass up good bucks because i got a picture of them a half mile away 6 hours ago

C. Or ... ignore the law and shoot the buck.

I don't like any of those choices.
It would require you to stop looking at cell cam photos or videos from your area taken on the same day prior to hunting that day; it would not require you to stop using the camera data during hunting season or even on the same day after you finish hunting for that day.

I don't know why anyone would think it wouldn't be enforceable? I just don't know how they would know? Unless you voluntarily let them look through your phone, or you posted the pics on social media; they would need probable cause and need to get a warrant.

I agree, it is enforceable but difficult. I don't know if a cell phone will indicate when a picture was viewed though it may indicate when a photo was sent to the phone via an app. That could make it even more difficult even if law enforcement got access to a hunter's phone. A photo may automatically be sent but if the hunter never opened and viewed the photo then no foul done. (I'm guessing on how the app works since I don't have one.)

This is an easy law to follow. I suspect that the majority of hunters obey hunting laws but I may be wrong.

This is interesting because there was a recent thread that brought out discussions on the ethics of using cameras, especially data transmitted remotely, to hunt on the same day.

DMD

It would require you to stop looking at cell cam photos or videos from your area taken on the same day prior to hunting that day; it would not require you to stop using the camera data during hunting season or even on the same day after you finish hunting for that day.

I agree, it is enforceable but difficult. I don't know if a cell phone will indicate when a picture was viewed though it may indicate when a photo was sent to the phone via an app. That could make it even more difficult even if law enforcement got access to a hunter's phone. A photo may automatically be sent but if the hunter never opened and viewed the photo then no foul done. (I'm guessing on how the app works since I don't have one.)

This is an easy law to follow. I suspect that the majority of hunters obey hunting laws but I may be wrong.

This is interesting because there was a recent thread that brought out discussions on the ethics of using cameras, especially data transmitted remotely, to hunt on the same day.
I'm sure it's possible to tell when you open the picture, but ...how would game warden get your phone? Search warrant? Are we really wanting to go to a place where government is handing out search warrants to confiscate and go through our phones to see if we have pictures of bucks on them?? I sure don't. It just becomes unenforceable. Or an absolute police state. Maybe a little hyperbole, but i think it's a valid point.

Last edited:

paboom

Here's something else folks haven't brought up. Say you have your cameras set to check-in every 24 hours.

You kill a buck at 9am. Your camera checks in at noon and you have him on camera.

The way it's written, you've just broken the law.

Latest posts