Has your cell cam ever directly resulted in a kill?

backyardtndeer

I've had more than 1 person tell me " I was hunting stand A, got a notification on my phone and snuck to the other food plot and killed him".
I probably could have this year.

I was sitting in a stand in the bottom the morning of Nov 1, and got notifications that the buck I was after was probably about 200 or so yards up the hill out in front of one of my other stands at a scrapeline. I hung tight in that stand watching other deer and hoping that he would also come through. No luck. Day before I killed him, he was also at the scrapeline about 1:45 in the afternoon, while I was waiting to pick my son up from school. Cellular technology definitely helped by keeping me off the scrapeline to check that camera. Kept me from putting pressure on the deer to check the camera and also kept me current with when he was there. Night before I killed him he worked scrapes then bedded down right in front of my camera, them got up and worked the scrapes some more.

Had my wife come home early that afternoon and I got in the stand about 180 yards from the scrapeline a little after 4 in the afternoon. Wasn't 5 minutes after I got in the stand and he was cutting the field, showed up about 50 yards in front of me.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Never had any use for any type of trail camera. Good Lord gave me the ability to scout and read sign with my own two eyes. Would not have it any other way.
I like The ability to possibly know the deer. It may be one that I definitely don't want to shoot, maybe a broke tine or something of that nature. I think they are good tools to use, but each hunter may have different goals

backyardtndeer

I almost did one time. I was walking out from a morning hunt and received a pic from the other side of the farm of a target buck. I crossed the ridge and tried to close the distance, but he zigged and I zagged.
I figured that would be my luck if I tried to move from one stand. Move to where the deer was when the pic was made, and him not be there, only to later find out he walked right past the stand I moved from.

Ski

If you pattern a bucks movement by trail cam placement. And know he's coming by this camera at around 7:30am everyday so far this week and then you go out the next morning and shot that buck. Then a cam is most likely reason you killed him. I run a couple at my house. Never killed anything here. But I hunt public and don't have any out. So no dog in the fight

It's never worked that way for me. I hear folks talk about bucks being that patternable but never experienced it myself. Closest I've seen anything even close is in summer with bachelor groups. But never after velvet shed.

paboom

I've been running cell cams since 2016 in 3 different states. Zero deer killed as a direct result of a cell cam.

Dodge Man

I had multiple pictures of a good deer this year and I sent my brother in on a high probability hunt. I had multiple mature bucks on camera around November 12-20 the past few years. He killed on of them out of my stand November 19. I have been working too much this year so I would rather a family member kill it then the neighbor. I definitely believe if you set cameras up right and keep year to year data you can pattern good bucks in certain times of the year.

Dodge Man

Curious how many of you have had a situation where your camera told you a buck was in the area so you went to your stand and killed him??
I have a few behind my house and I have seen coyotes on camera and gone out and killed them. I have seen deer on camera and gone out and watched then feed and walk around. I have not been lucky enough to be home when the big on walks by my camera in daylight behind my house.

philsanchez76

I have never gotten a pic and killed the same day. All my cams are on public that is at least 30 min from my house and all those cams are at least a 1 mile hike into the public. So even if I was sitting around with no work to do and got a pic, it would be at least 60-90 min before I could get to the spot. By that time that's past tense information.

The only time I could say a cam has led to a kill was this year. I put all my cams on scrapes by the first or second week of October. Sometimes the scrapes are not even open yet, but I know them to be decent historical scrapes. This year I had one scrape in particular just blow up with activity around 10/29 and 10/30. I couldn't get out there till 10/31but ended up killing one of the bucks that evening right at last light.

I still had to scout hard enough to find that scrape which I did last year. Had to walk a mile back to it this year to hang the cam. But then yes the cam told me this spot was hot right then so I do believe the cam helped me close the deal. And I'd do it all again!

Jcalder

Cell cam pictures, but I got them after it all went down. I was in the barn when he rounded that corner. I probably hadn't seen him yet when it took my picture
IMG_1954.jpeg
IMG_1955.jpeg

Bell3wv

This year I hunted like I was 17 again. I didn't put out any cameras. Sat on the hayfield a few evenings this summer and hunted sign the whole year. I saw more bucks this year than any if the 11 seasons I've been in TN.

fairchaser

I don't use cell cams as they are more than I want to spend but I do use cameras for purposes of inventorying bucks. Personally I don't see much advantage in the cell cams unless you live far away. My friend hunts the same property and uses cell cams and my videos are much better quality than his one grainy picture. The one good buck he killed this year wasn't even on his camera that had been in his hunting area for weeks while I had several videos of the buck I killed in my area on regular cameras. Personally I don't see any real advantage in cell cams if you can get out to your property regularly.

tntrkkllr

I don't remember who it was. Maybe he'll chime in. I just remember seeing it last year or year before.
I had that happen to me last year not sure if it was me or not that posted, I have also had a mature buck show up on camera by one of my stands during daylight and knew I had 3-5 days to get him I went in 2 days later and got him around 11 am. Sometimes they can help and sometimes they can really make you frustrated

cecil30-30

I don't use cell cams as they are more than I want to spend but I do use cameras for purposes of inventorying bucks. Personally I don't see much advantage in the cell cams unless you live far away. My friend hunts the same property and uses cell cams and my videos are much better quality than his one grainy picture. The one good buck he killed this year wasn't even on his camera that had been in his hunting area for weeks while I had several videos of the buck I killed in my area on regular cameras. Personally I don't see any real advantage in cell cams if you can get out to your property regularly.
I got both of my moultrie base delta cams for $50 on sale during black Friday. I pay $10/month on each cam. Batteries lasted over a year in one of the cameras. What I like most about then is that I don't have to wonder if the batteries are still good or if my card is full and needed changed and I don't have to keep visiting the site just to swap cards and view the images. Sent right to the app as soon as they are taken.

fairchaser

I got both of my moultrie base delta cams for $50 on sale during black Friday. I pay $10/month on each cam. Batteries lasted over a year in one of the cameras. What I like most about then is that I don't have to wonder if the batteries are still good or if my card is full and needed changed and I don't have to keep visiting the site just to swap cards and view the images. Sent right to the app as soon as they are taken.
I agree with all that Cecil. There are advantages especially for deep woods camera which I don't use for that reason. But for me the video is worth everything. I've even turned off my pictures and only get videos now. I think cell cams might be upgrading to videos as well soon also which could be a game changer.

backyardtndeer

I think cell cams might be upgrading to videos as well soon also which could be a game changer.
Cell cams already have the ability to shoot and upload/send video.
Personally I don't see much advantage in the cell cams unless you live far away.
We live on the farm we hunt, and there are definitely advantages. No longer bumping/pressuring deer to check a camera is probably one of the biggest.

Latest posts