Interesting new cell cam law in NH

DeerCamp

A huge percentage of bucks are being taken that way where I live. Cell cam behind house, corn, get pic, get the night vision, shoot the buck. It's made it to where almost anyone can get a good buck with no skill. A lot more are putting corn and cell cams at various places you can shoot from the road if you know where to stop and look over the mountain. Get the pictures, drive to the spot, fire. I don't think allot of people realize just how prevalent this is .
How do you know this? And why haven't you reported it?

PickettSFHunter

How do you know this? And why haven't you reported it?
😂 how do you know I haven't? I can't speak to any specifics on that, that would not be a good idea. We don't even have a game warden functionally anymore and haven't for a couple of years. The TWRA is aware we don't have a functioning game warden but it hasn't really been addressed yet. The current "warden" lives 2 counties over and barely makes it over here at all. Of course they are all constrained now by the private property ruling as well. We have a ton of public land that the warden could patrol but he can't even make it over here so 🤷 I own tracts in a couple areas of the county but can't get the "warden" to return a call, just pretty useless.
Outsiders don't understand the area but city slickers will sure act like they do. Poaching is the culture. You grow up in it, it's just how hunting is done. There are not many exceptions. Everybody knows everybody if you are a native and not an outsider. You grow up with everyone, everyone talks, a lot are related. If I wasn't shown how to actually hunt legally, I'm sure I would be in the same boat. All I saw growing up was all of my friends that road hunted, night hunted, shot deer, turkey, bear, wherever, etc. Just how it's done, more of a game to them, see what you can get away with. You go out with your friends for a night of hanging out as a teenager and you can pretty well guarantee some deer are going to be shot even if you think your just going to a bonfire or something. It's normalized, even teenage females that are out and about like that just believe that's normal and continue to believe that throughout life. Some of them have grown up and stopped and a lot of them haven't. Out of a core group of kids that I grew up with in the community, 2/6 hunt legally now, the rest still poach like crazy now in their upper 30's. There's always a new crop of teens every year to start the culture again.
Honestly most people here that don't hunt don't even care, as long as their property isn't damaged. It's just the culture and it's nearly impossible to change a culture. This is shifting with so many outsiders moving in though.

DeerCamp

😂 how do you know I haven't? I can't speak to any specifics on that, that would not be a good idea. We don't even have a game warden functionally anymore and haven't for a couple of years. The TWRA is aware we don't have a functioning game warden but it hasn't really been addressed yet. The current "warden" lives 2 counties over and barely makes it over here at all. Of course they are all constrained now by the private property ruling as well. We have a ton of public land that the warden could patrol but he can't even make it over here so 🤷 I own tracts in a couple areas of the county but can't get the "warden" to return a call, just pretty useless.
Outsiders don't understand the area but city slickers will sure act like they do. Poaching is the culture. You grow up in it, it's just how hunting is done. There are not many exceptions. Everybody knows everybody if you are a native and not an outsider. You grow up with everyone, everyone talks, a lot are related. If I wasn't shown how to actually hunt legally, I'm sure I would be in the same boat. All I saw growing up was all of my friends that road hunted, night hunted, shot deer, turkey, bear, wherever, etc. Just how it's done, more of a game to them, see what you can get away with. You go out with your friends for a night of hanging out as a teenager and you can pretty well guarantee some deer are going to be shot even if you think your just going to a bonfire or something. It's normalized, even teenage females that are out and about like that just believe that's normal and continue to believe that throughout life. Some of them have grown up and stopped and a lot of them haven't. Out of a core group of kids that I grew up with in the community, 2/6 hunt legally now, the rest still poach like crazy now in their upper 30's. There's always a new crop of teens every year to start the culture again.
Honestly most people here that don't hunt don't even care, as long as their property isn't damaged. It's just the culture and it's nearly impossible to change a culture. This is shifting with so many outsiders moving in though.
Wow. I didn't mean to insinuate anything with my comment.

Sounds like the Wild West.

Grouseman

I'm not really sure it makes a whole lot of sense. First, it's unenforceable. Second, Poachers are going to poach regardless. It's no different than a poacher hunting over bait illegally or spotlighting deer. They are going to hunt illegally period and ethical hunters are the ones punished by having to deal with the law.

Third, the problem in this case, imo, when you pass a law like this, it punishes ethical hunters who enjoy fooling with trail cameras.
Example: i get a cell cam picture of a buck at 3:40am. Now I can't kill that buck at 11:30am? Just stupid imo.

So my choices are:

A. stop using cell cams during hunting season

B. Pass up good bucks because i got a picture of them a half mile away 6 hours ago

C. Or ... ignore the law and shoot the buck.

I don't like any of those choices.
I'll take option A.
Waiting for a picture before you go hunting is not really hunting.

DMD

I'll take option A.
Waiting for a picture before you go hunting is not really hunting.
Who said anything about waiting for a picture? I've never done that in my life. But the way i understand the law, if you get a picture of a buck, you can't kill it tgat same calendar day. It has nothing to do with waiting on a picture to kill a buck, necessarily. That's the purpose of the law, i imagine, but it's not necessarily the result of the law.

killingtime 41

Pickett is spot on. Natives been hunting that way for a long time. I don't live where you do. But it's mostly the same story. Outsiders have moved In here but the change got worse. They think it's the Wild West. Shooting deer at night and anytime they want to they thought was legal. Cause it's on their property so they can do what they want. Answer I got was I thought this was Tn I moved to a free state. I said it's not ducking 1850 you dumb azz's now they have no deer at all on their property go figure. So you know the next step is road hunting. I use to look out and not see another light for miles. Now whole hill side is lit up with houses.and damn dogs barking all night long. Now I gotta get the heck out of here to find peace.

knightrider

Dont know which is worse all the transplants or their dadgum deer running all night barking dogs!!! Wish i had a button, push it and kill em all, the dogs that is😁

megalomaniac

Also noticed they aren't just talking about cell cameras either. This can and does apply to regular cameras as well the way I read it.
It states 'remotely' viewed. In other words, you can check the card in person, view the image of a buck 1h before, and still legally kill him the same day.

In south MS, our biggest problem is people putting out corn under a security light in their backyard within shooting distance of their bedroom window. The best bucks fall at 2am to this type of 'hunting'

Latest posts