Cell Game Cams

Creek

I have been running the same 4 browning defenders 24/7/365 for the last 3 years. Still going strong.
I run more Browning cell cams than any other brand, and have been pleased with them. IMO, they are the overall best value. Plus, should there be any issues, their customer service is 2nd to none.

Music to my ears. I just bought / ordered two Brownings, batteries and SD cards, all separately. The girl at Browning, who was very professional and helpful, told me to call them back after everything arrived, and they would help walk me through the setup procedure. Its really nice to talk to someone who speaks English.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I will also vouch for the CS. It is really good. As far as cell cams go though, I just wish they had a true black flash. That's currently the only thing holding me back from getting one
Browning periodically offers true black flash in certain cellular models.

Keep in mind they have one or two different models (versions) of the Defender Cell line each year. In years they may not offer a true black flash model, you may be able to get a prior year's model.

But, here's something interesting I've found via extensive usage:

Brownings cell cams (the ones that are not true black flash) have a low-intensity or "economy" flash setting. If you set the flash to this, you will little to no cam avoidance due to flash. I have been using various Browning models, both true black flash & not, and the difference over scrapes is not significant if you set the cam flashes to low or economy mode.

In many cases, I'm finding more advantages than disadvantages in using the low-intensity "red" flash over true black. Generally, the low-intensity "red" will reach out about as far as many black-flash units set on either medium or long range flash settings. With red flash, battery life is significantly longer, and you have the option for longer flash ranges if desired on fields.

Of course, the disadvantage to the so-called "invisible" red flash is that, if looking at the cam, both deer & humans can see that red glow. So as to which is better, just depends on your application.

cecil30-30

I have had a moultrie base out for just over a year and it's been great. Still running on the original set of batteries. Easy to set up. I just ordered a second one. $49 @ bass pro right now.

JCDEERMAN

Browning periodically offers true black flash in certain cellular models.

Keep in mind they have one or two different models (versions) of the Defender Cell line each year. In years they may not offer a true black flash model, you may be able to get a prior year's model.

But, here's something interesting I've found via extensive usage:

Brownings cell cams (the ones that are not true black flash) have a low-intensity or "economy" flash setting. If you set the flash to this, you will little to no cam avoidance due to flash. I have been using various Browning models, both true black flash & not, and the difference over scrapes is not significant if you set the cam flashes to low or economy mode.

In many cases, I'm finding more advantages than disadvantages in using the low-intensity "red" flash over true black. Generally, the low-intensity "red" will reach out about as far as many black-flash units set on either medium or long range flash settings. With red flash, battery life is significantly longer, and you have the option for longer flash ranges if desired on fields.

Of course, the disadvantage to the so-called "invisible" red flash is that, if looking at the cam, both deer & humans can see that red glow. So as to which is better, just depends on your application.
Good to know. From what I've found, tactacam is one of the better ones for cellular, but I'm such a Browning fan, I'd like to give them a try.

TheLBLman

Good to know. From what I've found, tactacam is one of the better ones for cellular, but I'm such a Browning fan, I'd like to give them a try.
Personally, I've been disappointed with my Tactacams.
Compared to all Browning cell models, they have slow trigger speeds,
and in many my applications, worthless because of that alone.

Most of my Browning cell cams are the Pro Scouts.
They use 8 AAs and usually last around a year.
Fast trigger speeds, very reliable.

East TN Bowhunter

If your cell phone doesn't have a signal where your camera is going to be is that a sure fire sign that your camera won't work there either?
With my experience with tactacam atleast with at&t plan on them and having a straight talk phone service which i believe uses multiple towers of verizon and at&t. If i dont have any service on phone it wont either. I even tried a spycam 20ft antenna this year and it would work ever couple days and send a few photos until a bear tore it off the camera and wasnt really worth it anyways.

Andy S.

Worth mentioning, I would never encourage anyone to try or stay away from a certain brand IF I had only used 1-2 models of a particular brand, over last 5+ years. Generally speaking, each offering each season (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, etc) is somewhat different than previous model, and sometimes a lot different than prior year models. Sometimes this is for the better, and sometimes this is for the worse. I have seen some older models (2018) be okay, where as newer models (2022) are 10x better, regardless of the brand name, and vice versa. I like to talk brand name, exact model and model #, and year purchased/used. Wholesale statements leave a lot to be desired IMO. My .02

Newt

Well I am by far no cell cam expert but I thoroughly love it. So I started with SPYPOINT got away from them about as quick as I got in them.

Tactacam came out with the original reveal I bought several of them and now have gen1,gen2, and x pro models my favorite being the x pro. My only complaint is they like the batteries 12aa per camera add up.

But the last two or three years my favorite hands down have been the browning pro scout fantastic battery life. Picture quality maybe not as good as others but what it lacks in photo quality it makes up in everything else.

Buddy of mine runs a crape ton of moultrie edge on some out of state ground we hunt and they do good on photo and battery quality I think just a little pricey on the data bill compared to Tactacam and browning

TheLBLman

But the last two or three years my favorite hands down have been the browning pro scout fantastic battery life. Picture quality maybe not as good as others but what it lacks in photo quality it makes up in everything else.
Yes, the Browning Pro Scouts have been fantastic, especially on battery life.
What's more they only take 8 AA's compared to 12 AA's for some many other brands/makes.

I don't really see much difference in pic quality between the Brownings & Tactacams. Tactacam's thumbnails (initial uploads) are of a higher megapixal than Brownings, yet what's on the sd card, and what you can subsequently request from Browning (HD uploads of worthy pics) are little different.

I also have the Tactacam Xpro, and my biggest complaint is its slow trigger speed.

Newt

Yes, the Browning Pro Scouts have been fantastic, especially on battery life.
What's more they only take 8 AA's compared to 12 AA's for some many other brands/makes.

I don't really see much difference in pic quality between the Brownings & Tactacams. Tactacam's thumbnails (initial uploads) are of a higher megapixal than Brownings, yet what's on the sd card, and what you can subsequently request from Browning (HD uploads of worthy pics) are little different.

I also have the Tactacam Xpro, and my biggest complaint is its slow trigger speed.
Yep! I agree with everything you just said as well the HD uploads and sd pictures are perfect.
Have you got any of the new browning scout cameras Lbl man without the antenna it's literally just a little built in bump for a antenna I bought 4 on the cyber Monday sale but not going to deploy them this year.

My concern is cell reception but I really am excited hoping the bears can't screw them up by snapping the antenna's off

Layne

I have a few of the Moultrie Edge and have had no problems with them... They are affordable if you find them on sale 2@$150... They use multiple carriers and have a simple setup. Image quality is good IMO and videos are good as well.
they will run on 8 or 16 AA batteries so they run all season + without a battery change.
One con is that you only get a 15 second video, I would like a longer video option and would love to have the option to take an immediate test photo instead of having to schedule one.
Someone mentioned you have to wait 24 hours for the download of the video but that's when you set it to immediate check in, if you set it for say 3 hour check in it will get your video to you on that check in... it would be nice to be able to request the video immediately but maybe they'll address that.
Many of the negatives that cell cameras have can be addresses with firmware upgrades.

Moultrie has a scaled plan that you can purchase if you have multi cameras that will save some money, that's a plus for me.

These cameras have no SD card so everything is managed by the app.

I agree with Andy that you can't really judge a brand by a couple of models, I had some bad luck with a different Moultrie model, that's why I've purchase more of these Edge models because I know mine have worked without issue... I have other brands but these are the ones I've repurchased.

There are better cameras I'm sure but how much better can you get than having the camera take the picture or video when a deer walks by and then transmit it to you with an image quality that you can use to determine if it's a deer you want to pursue? That's all I'm looking for in a cell camera, I'm not watching Dolby HDR videos on it... just my opinions.

I had two of the moultrie edges. My biggest complaint about them is the flash range was shorter than advertised. I put a moultrie and a tactacam on the same post and the tactacams flash covered alot more area.

TheLBLman

My concern is cell reception but I really am excited hoping the bears can't screw them up by snapping the antenna's off
Browning's 1st entry (original Ridgeline with no antennae) did not perform very well for me in even "fair" cell service areas. My understanding is the subsequent versions do well, but may not be as well as those with an antennae. I wouldn't try them unless have decent cell service where used.

Browning's original Ridgeline was a true black-flash, so that's what drew me to them. I have since replaced those 4 with 4 more Pro Scouts, which if the low-glow flash is set to "economy", seem to serve my purposed about as well as most black-flash units.

I've been pondering trying some of the newer versions which have no antennae, but currently have more cams deployed than can keep up with already!

RedDawg

I'll throw a bit of a curveball here. I have one spot on my farm that has cell coverage of any kind. I went with Cuddeback. With their Cuddelink system, only one camera has to have a cell connection. Up to 23 other cameras can connect to it. I'm not enough of a camera savant to really compare this system to all the rest. However I like the idea of one data plan. In addition to the D cell batteries I put in each camera, I put one of their Sun and Shade Panels on each one so it's not the cheapest solution. I've been running some of these cameras for 329 days without changing a battery of even visiting the camera. How do I know this? I get a health report of each camera every day which includes 'Battery Days'.

I don't get instant pictures, I can set how often I want to receive batches of pictures and the batch level. If the batch fills up before the time internal, it come in early. Nice thing is, the cameras will daisy chain. I have one spot about a half a mile from the Home camera that I cover. It leap frogs 4 cameras to send its pictures. Note, the highest resolution pictures stay on the camera. What I get are lower resolution pictures but acceptable to me. If I want the highest resolution pictures I have to go the camera and pull the card (which I did on one camera to see some particular detail). There is no video available. You get the pictures via email, text and/or on their Camp website.

Not the cheapest solution out there but I like the lack of hassle and hands off nature. I deployed the first cameras almost a year ago and have added to my network in intervals of 2 at a few times. I'm built out for now. Just testing spots and seeing how to best use these units.

Last edited:

bjohnson

I don't have a cell camera yet, I asked my wife for one for Christmas. WCB podcast had the owner of Black Gate trail cameras on and I liked what I heard on there from him about his cameras. So we'll see what happens when I get it out.

Latest posts