Does anybody rattle or use deer calls early season?

Mr_TTT2

I'm thinking between opening weekend and before the rut, does anybody grunt, rattle, or doe calls? It is probably me, but I've never been successful using any of these tools.

Mike Belt

I sometimes use a grunter but haven't had much success with it early on. Early in muzzleloader season I begin having more luck. I don't really use rattling until pre-rut into the rut and then I may begin using doe calls some. I've also had some success rattling late season once the initial prime rut time frame has passed. Once the rut begins I've had pretty good success using both calls; mostly sparingly but sometimes aggressively.

Os2 Outdoors

I've rattled in tons of bachelor groups this time of year. Basically just lightly tickling horns together, "sparring". I find it very effective when I get a group with a shooter a few hundred yards out, think crop field and tickle the horns to get their attention, they'll usually start feeding/moving your direction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Snake

I rattle just occasionally basically when things are slow or I see a buck out of range I may try to get his attention if a grunt won't do it . I think some over do rattling which may caution a buck just out of range to avoid the area . Heck I'm just guessing but have had fortune rattling I assume just hadn't had a buck like on television run in looking for the fight but have had them come in on alert as if looking . I carry a set of antlers on each hunt but may never use them .

Matador

I occasionally use grunt call and the doe bleat can during the month of Nov. I've had occassionaly success on calling. I don't ever use them in archery season.

fairchaser

I've heard bucks lightly sparring during bow season and deer volcalize year round so I'm not sure why you wouldn't use calls during early season. I'll wait until later in the bow season to rattle and then do it lightly as if two bucks are just touching each other's antlers. I always have a grunt call for when a buck is out of range and going away as a last resort. A deer alarm blow /snort will often stop a deer or even call a curious deer. Calls are just another hunter's tool and like any tool to be effective it must be used properly at the right time. Calls usually will not spook deer unless they are associated with a hunter.

Gobbler88

I don't use calls during archery season, but starting in November, I have my Primos can call and Primos buck roar handy. I actually grunted a buck off of a doe on New Year's eve last year and killed him at 15 yds. I know it doesn't always work for mature deer, but my heart gets to racing just as hard to have a young buck come running in grunting. I missed the biggest deer I have ever seen while hunting after I did a few series of bleats on that can call on opening day of rifle 2 yrs ago. He circled in behind me and I had a narrow window to shoot threw. I guess I hit a sapling because I never found any blood. But as far as calling goes, it's like anything else. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Mike Belt

Do I believe calls work? When I leave my truck headed to the woods from muzzleloader season on there are 4 things I NEVER leave behind; my rifle, my safety harness, my binocs, and my grunt tube; none more important than the other.

Gray Ghost

2 years ago on opening day I had a 10 point bed just out of range then got up and moved away. After he was out of sight, I lightly hit the rattle bag once. Ext thing I know he was back headed my way. I missed but the rattling no doubt brought him back! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTGrad

I've gotten many trail cam pics past few years of bucks sparring soon after they shed their velvet. It's almost like they are testing out their new head gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROVERBOY

I've never rattled much but, have grunted in several over the years. I believe rattling has a short time frame that it works.

DMD

I rattled in a doe and killed her on opening day several years back. She came in looking everywhere for the source of the rattling. Early season, I just "tickle" the horns. Deer will come in out of curiosity.

Latest posts