Deer calls

killingtime 41

I have called in a few using the grunt tube and the doe in estrous can. What I do is hit the estrous about 3 times in a row. Then I'll do the least aggressive grunt my tube will allow. Trying to seem like a buck is in tow of a doe in heat. And by using the least aggressive. In my mind I don't want to sound like the king of the woods. Because sometimes a mature buck might not want to fight but if he does and I sound like I'm tending or a younger buck he will usually come to run him off to take his doe. That's what I'm picturing in my mind anyway. By the way for several years I was using the estrous can wrong and I thought it was garbage. Until I found a YouTube video of the deer doctor I think. Explaining how to use it correctly.

batten_down

I have called in a few using the grunt tube and the doe in estrous can. What I do is hit the estrous about 3 times in a row. Then I'll do the least aggressive grunt my tube will allow. Trying to seem like a buck is in tow of a doe in heat. And by using the least aggressive. In my mind I don't want to sound like the king of the woods. Because sometimes a mature buck might not want to fight but if he does and I sound like I'm tending or a younger buck he will usually come to run him off to take his doe. That's what I'm picturing in my mind anyway. By the way for several years I was using the estrous can wrong and I thought it was garbage. Until I found a YouTube video of the deer doctor I think. Explaining how to use it correctly.

Interesting. Will try this technique in the fall.

Buzzard Breath

My old black Lohman's grunt tube has called in a lot of nice bucks over the past ±30 years. I lost it for a couple years, but it showed back up.

IMG_20230603_070948.jpg

Ski

I've never had luck bleat calling with "the can", and only ever brought in does & yearlings to bleating with a grunt tube.

I have had success with rattling and grunting.

IMO, calling is situational. Pretty much every buck I've killed as result of calling has been from blind calling near enough to bedding that they come investigate the commotion first thing when getting up on their feet in the evening. More often than not if I see a buck and try calling to pull him to me, they stop for a quick glance my direction then carry on the way they were already going. It's tough to change a buck's direction. But if you can fire him up while he's bedded, he'll come straight to your spot when he gets up. That's been my experience anyway.

trex

Jerry Peterson, Wood Wise Buc-n-doe 6n1 double reed call I've had for 30+ years. I have used other of his calls too. All good calls if used correctly.
Also liked Ben Rogers Lee calls.

ROVERBOY

i don't usually do any "blind" calling. i like to see a deer before I call to it. But, have called in several with my voice, grunts and bleats. Even called a doe in with a snort.

Latest posts